Wiki Posts
Search

Quiet place at ZRH to work ???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2003, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M FTL, HHonors Diamond, Langham Elite, SPG Corporate Preferred
Quiet place at ZRH to work ???

I will have a four hour layover in ZRH tomorrow on a mileage run. I'm taking some work with me and was wondering whether anybody knows a place at the airport where I can get some work done. Unfortunately, I'm not flying business and don't have status (yet), so the lounge is not a option for me. Ay suggestions ?
Old Jan 25, 2003, 11:50 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Apart from the business desks in the lounge, I cannot think of any quiet places offering a decent infrastructure for work. Maybe others know something?

However, should you run out of work, go landside in Terminal A (Exit ZRH), turn right after you leave customs, leave Terminal A and walk down towards Terminal B. On your right hand side will be the entrance to the fascinating exhibition "World Airports", on loan from the German Architecture Museum. Entrance is free and it's open daily 10-20h. Also, you get to see the new immigration area of the future "airside center".

------------------
airOli, the Swiss Air Line.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 12:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
ZRH is not a good airport to be spending any time at if you've not got lounge access (not enough seating let alone anywhere to work). However, last time I was there, I did notice a couple of people happily working with laptops at one of the restaruants. Bring along a spare battery and order lots of coffee :-)
Old Jan 25, 2003, 2:19 pm

There is usually an empty gate boarding area without an outbound plane for a few hours, especially in the main A terminal past security. With a longish power cord, one can usually reach an electric outlet and remain seated.

There is also a slight chance one can buy a day pass at the Jet Aviation lounge. A Diners Club card would have been handy in this event.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 12:34 am

If you really want , you CAN work in the arrival lounge (only until 12.pm) even when you have no status (you'll have to pay I believe 20 $ or so but maybe your employer will reimburse this to you). But the working conditions are perfect. They have two desks in the back. With power outlet and even a socket for dialup.

Old Jan 26, 2003, 6:08 am

YES, you can. Great and quite place: Use the escalators down to the airport shopping area. At the supermarket (dont forget to buy a beer or a packet of milk) turn right (or left, depends on your direction) to the parking area. There you will see a small hill overloocking the aiport. Besides its great view, it is quite and you can sit down, watch the planes going up and down, and do your work on one of the benches. However, January can be cold and/or dirty, so check temperature and your outfit first. But in the summer: Its better than any lounge in ZRH.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 3:19 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by W Nippert
YES, you can. Great and quite place: Use the escalators down to the airport shopping area. At the supermarket (dont forget to buy a beer or a packet of milk) turn right (or left, depends on your direction) to the parking area. There you will see a small hill overloocking the aiport. Besides its great view, it is quite and you can sit down, watch the planes going up and down, and do your work on one of the benches. However, January can be cold and/or dirty, so check temperature and your outfit first. But in the summer: Its better than any lounge in ZRH.
Are there any news, about working at ZRH without lounge access. One of my coworkers have to fly next week to BHX via ZRH and a layover for about 5 hours. Where can he work and where is also a power socket available ?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 3:49 am

Programs: LH SEN
hhmmm, poor guy. I suggest he goes into Zurich itself and find a nice park or restaurant to work. Or go to the lake or something. But beeing stuck in any airport for 5 hours is just mean.
W
Old Jul 26, 2008, 6:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
The JetAviation Lounge (near B gates) used to sell day passes, but it was sold to Dnata and I don't know if they still do. Also the Bellevue Lounge (E gates) used to sell day passes, again I don't know if they still do. Both lounges are nice and good places to work.

If you can't gain any lounge access and you don't want to venture out of the airport, a very quiet place is the left hand corridor toward the StarAlliance Lounge (not the one with the Dnata Lounge on it, the other one). There is a group of chair which are not very busy, usually. If you have reasonably long cord you should be able to plug in and the area is covered by WLAN. But no desks, just chairs there ...
Old Jul 26, 2008, 6:56 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by swiss_global
The JetAviation Lounge (near B gates) used to sell day passes, but it was sold to Dnata and I don't know if they still do. Also the Bellevue Lounge (E gates) used to sell day passes, again I don't know if they still do. Both lounges are nice and good places to work.

If you can't gain any lounge access and you don't want to venture out of the airport, a very quiet place is the left hand corridor toward the StarAlliance Lounge (not the one with the Dnata Lounge on it, the other one). There is a group of chair which are not very busy, usually. If you have reasonably long cord you should be able to plug in and the area is covered by WLAN. But no desks, just chairs there ...
I thought of the place at the end of the A Gates (A80 ??). But I don't know, if there are power plugs available.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 8:52 am

I think that there are a few programs that sell access to the LX business lounge in Zurich (it's one of the few airline-branded, non-contracted lounges that belongs to programs such as Priority Pass).

If you just want to secure a single visit, you could buy it here, for example. I've never tried it, so I don't really know how it works (do they give you a voucher or something?).
Old Jul 26, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: LH
just because your info sais "M&M SEN". You are allowed to use the Lufthansa Lounge, even if you are not flying LH. To work, take the "LH Business Lounge" and not the Senator Lounge. They are in B.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Yes but it is
One of my coworkers

Another option are the two landside Starbucks. Especially the one right outside passport control between Check-In 1 and 2 has plently of daylight, and WLAN coverage. There are also a few powerpoints in the walls, although not many.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 7:23 pm

If you go upstairs in the main area, go to the right, the opposite
direction from the Turler watch store and the Swiss lounges.
Pass all the stores, there is a sitting area at the end on your left there
which seems quite quiet.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:59 pm

Programs: LH
in the airport, you have WLAN, but it is not for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.