Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2003, 5:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Diamond & Courtesy Card/ M&M GOLD
I got upgraded several times on Swissair in 1999 and 2000. I was Travelclub at that time, now silver.
ZRH-BKK-TPE from C to F (once)
GVA-MAD from Y to C (twice)
MAD-ZRH from Y to C (4 times)

I never asked for it, but they changed the boarding pass at the gate.

Vincent

------------------
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
BOM-ZRH question

Bought a Q fare MUC-BOMvv on LX last monday and today the booking situation on the return BOM -ZRH has switched to

J9 C9 D9 I9 Y0 B0 H0 G0 M0 L0 V0 U0 N0 K0 Q0 ^ ^

Obviously the following questions come to my mind:

->is LX is good at overbooking so they won't do op-ups
->do they fish for miles/cash first like some LH asia stations do?
->whom to address at BOM? Any experiences?
->do they care for silver status pax?

Any hints would be appreciated.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 7:54 am

Programs: Miles & More Senator, CX Marco Polo Club, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by oliver2002
->do they care for silver status pax?
Not in my experience. Just changing the subject a bit, how common is upgrading from C to F ? I've been in Silver STC since 2001 now and have had the good fortune to be upgraded to F only once - and that was in very exceptional circumstances in JNB in Oct 2001 the day flights resumed after the Swissair bankruptancy. Is it much more usual for Y to C rather than C to F?
Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:51 am

Y>C / C>F OPups

Originally Posted by fratboy
Is it much more usual for Y to C rather than C to F?
The relative cabin sizes of Y=200-odd C=50-odd and F=10 or so are one factor which dictate the probablility of an op-up.

Serious overbooking (by double digit figures) tends to happen in Y and is usually completely absorbed by a relatively emtpy C. Only if C is pretty full as well does it become necessary to upgrade people to F, and then it is usually the lucky one or two.

I've been on several flights where there have been hoards of upgrades Y>C on none to F.

On a related note - what are peoples experiences with being downgraded? Happened to me in Paris the other day - allegedly overbooked, 3 row C, Y perhaps 80%full (surely not too arduous to move the curtain back another few rows?). Last minute equipment change A320>A321 - complete mayhem at checkin and security.

I didn't really care as long as I got on the flight and the downgrade compensation was nice - but I certainly didn't expect it to happen. I checked in 1 hour ahead and am TCG - I assume it check-in sequence rather than status counts in such cases?

Rgds
Marvin
Old Sep 6, 2005, 1:47 am

Programs: LX Sen, SQ PPS
I was downgraded on LH from FRA to ZRH recently (and was seated in 22B - the very end of the airplane). Check-in told to ask for a compensation at the gate, but there I was informed to ask in Zurich after my arrival. Very bad service indeed.

Eventually, the offered offered compensation was minimal (couple of francs): Only the difference between my discounted business class ticket and a fully flexible super expensive economy class ticket was to be refunded.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 1:57 am

Programs: LX Sen, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by Marvin
Happened to me in Paris the other day - [...] complete mayhem at checkin and security.
I think those those all-in-on "check-in-and-security-and-gate" systems are prone to chaos every day.
Berlin TXL is desasterous everytime a fly from there - almost missed my flight a few times as passengers for the later GVA flight already form a queue around the block while ZRH passengers still try to get to passport control/security.

(BTW - Had my worst service experiences with LX in Paris, too)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.