Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Edelweiss WK 66 ZRH-MLE cancellations - cause for concern?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Edelweiss WK 66 ZRH-MLE cancellations - cause for concern?

Edelweiss is flying once a week to Male, I have an award ticket booked there at the end of August for my belated honeymoon.

Checking the flight status on flightaware and flightradar 24, it looks like last weeks and this weeks flights were cancelled. Any reason to be concerned?

https://flightaware.com/live/findfli...stination=VRMM
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 2:29 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
i would call
Old Jul 10, 2021, 2:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There is probably not a lot of clarity until few weeks before the flight.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:28 am

It looks like this weekend and week earlier they flew triangle ZRH-SEZ-MLE-ZRH as WK68 (current inflight from Male to Zurich). Check it out flightradar24.

Maybe not enough pax for ZRH-SEZ and ZRH-MLE so they combine them?

Keep fingers crossed that in end of August there will be more people on vacations and it will go direct. But I would not be too upset about SEZ stop because landing in SEZ is probably just as stunning as in MLE.

Either way enjoy your trip!
BinSabai and BThumme like this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AntonS
It looks like this weekend and week earlier they flew triangle ZRH-SEZ-MLE-ZRH as WK68 (current inflight from Male to Zurich). Check it out flightradar24.

Maybe not enough pax for ZRH-SEZ and ZRH-MLE so they combine them?

Keep fingers crossed that in end of August there will be more people on vacations and it will go direct. But I would not be too upset about SEZ stop because landing in SEZ is probably just as stunning as in MLE.

Either way enjoy your trip!
Actually, as someone who collects airline routes, SEZ-MLE would be awesome!

That's really reassuring though. I was worried maybe there was low loads and maybe they weren't operating.

Not to mention, a 12pm arrival is probably a bit better than 9am in case my room wasn't ready yet. This is actually really exciting for me, I'm all for some extra time in the air, even if MLE is supposed to be paradise.

Last edited by BThumme; Jul 11, 2021 at 1:08 pm
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
For end of August travels I wouldn't be concerned now. Try a few days out.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Yes, that was the reason. Due to the weak load they combined the flights to SEZ/MLE on Jul 3 and 10. The writing was on the wall, since both flights were shown days earlier as leaving at exactly the same time, and MLE with a flight time of 13h15 but still as a single leg. Was looking at it for an award booking, and when I caught on what they were up to, booked a flight with a connection with another carrier that was faster But you should not have the same problem in August, as for the rest of the summer the SEZ and MLE rotations are on separate days.

Extremely poor show and bad business practice on the part of LX/WK though, to hide the fact until practically the day before the flight, probably so people would still book WK at a premium and unknowingly end up with a longer flight with a stopover while having assumed a shorter nonstop flight at the time of booking. Worse for those that were flying back from SEZ, as opposed to those traveling to MLE, since they ended up with a journey of over 15h instead of nine, thanks to flying all the way to MLE first on their way home.

Speaking of WK; anybody have a copy of the current cycle longhaul inbound c-class menu? Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 12:12 pm

Are you saying that nonstop flight to MLE was sold as 13 hour flight leaving at the same time as SEZ? This looks like intentional scheduling to combine flights. One thing is to combine based on operational factors, another - sell as nonstop with intention to combine.

Are there any Swiss laws against deceptive business tactic / deceptive advertising?
Old Jul 17, 2021, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by AntonS
Are you saying that nonstop flight to MLE was sold as 13 hour flight leaving at the same time as SEZ? This looks like intentional scheduling to combine flights. One thing is to combine based on operational factors, another - sell as nonstop with intention to combine.

Are there any Swiss laws against deceptive business tactic / deceptive advertising?
Yep, that‘s what the data suggested (but as stated, the ZRH-MLE pax were still better off than the SEZ-ZRH ones ). Good luck in challenging that in the Swiss courts (and I am saying that as a lawyer), Switzerland is not quite the US in that respect
Old Jul 18, 2021, 12:43 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
In this current situation, be happy they actually operate the flight even if combined. Yes it would be more forthcoming to make the fact known, no argument there, but these days nothing is guaranteed. YMMV.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:14 am
Original Poster

It did operate nonstop over the weekend for what it's worth, and as mentioned by WTravel if the rotations are indeed on different days, not sure this will be an issue in the future again.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by demue
In this current situation, be happy they actually operate the flight even if combined. Yes it would be more forthcoming to make the fact known, no argument there, but these days nothing is guaranteed. YMMV.
The way I see it they should be happy if they have pax and jobs; and bad business practices reduces the chances of that. Ultimately, they are dependent on us and not the other way round, since it‘s not as if they have a monopoly offering here: there are numerous other (mostly cheaper) options to get from ZRH to MLE within the same time frame with them adding their unpublished stops.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:46 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Wtravel
The way I see it they should be happy if they have pax and jobs; and bad business practices reduces the chances of that. Ultimately, they are dependent on us and not the other way round, since it‘s not as if they have a monopoly offering here: there are numerous other (mostly cheaper) options to get from ZRH to MLE within the same time frame with them adding their unpublished stops.
Fair enough, no one stoping people to vote with their feet and go via DXB/DOH/IST or such on other carriers depending on what one prefers / feels is most competitive.

If they want to combine the flights as otherwise it would be uneconomical to operate, personally, I could accept that though I would wholeheartedly agree that such should be made known in advance and not "snuck in".

It can have consequences for inner Maldives onward transport and as such there must be transparency well in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.