Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incorrect advice re baggage fees

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2021, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Incorrect advice re baggage fees

I’m looking for help as I think Swiss air owes me money but they are refusing to pay.
I booked an extra bag for my flight from london to Cape Town online - initially a 23kg bag. I then phoned Swiss Air to change it to a 32kg bag. They said I couldn’t do that on the phone but promised me that I could just pay the £20 difference at the airport. I said I thought the airport would charge more but was promised they wouldn’t and there would be a note on the system. When I got to the airport they charged me £128. Whilst I was there I spoke to the service centre on the phone who said there was nothing they could do now but I would get a refund if I went through the website. After a month of emails and messages they are still simply refusing to pay despite the fact that it’s their customer service who apparently gave me the wrong advice. What else can I do?!
Old Apr 7, 2021, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Welcome to FT!

Did you pay the fee at the airport by credit card? If yes, a dispute/charge back is an option, but I'm not sure if you will succeed/the credit card issuer will side with you; the problem is that you have accepted the £128 charge at the airport.

Maybe it better to let it go and move on? Rather than spending time and feeling aggravated every time that you get stuck/get nowhere with this.
Often1 and BinSabai like this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Depending on your location you may not even be able to initiate a partial chargeback and, of course, a full chargeback is not warranted.

If you are UK-based, you could file an MCOL proceeding against LX for the £118 you believe that you were over-charged. The forms, including a Letter Before Action, are all on the website. But, as noted, this will be drawn out an unsatisfying affair and is solely based on your word. You have a mediocre chance of success in the first place.

For future reference for others, do not rely on clerical interpretations. The rules are all published and those are what will ultimately count.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.