Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to/from UK and South Africa cancelled - rebooking?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2020, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Flights to/from UK and South Africa cancelled - rebooking?

Anybody has first hands experience how LX handles cases of pax due to fly today and in the next couple of days to/from Britain and South Africa? For Britain, rebooking options become scarce as many other European countries also block flights from/to the UK. What about South Africa? Are pax being booked on other carriers, do LH and OS still fly to South Africa?
BinSabai likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 8:27 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Germany is currently in talk about banning flights to ZA.
Turkey already suspended flights to ZA so rebooking via TK is not an option.
If I were you I would wait at least 48 hours for things to cool down.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN
I spoke to the Sen line and they said that although the LX flights to/from London are no longer bookable, they have not been cancelled in the system. Why does Swiss do this?
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:36 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by bobhope2
I spoke to the Sen line and they said that although the LX flights to/from London are no longer bookable, they have not been cancelled in the system. Why does Swiss do this?
Swiss Citizens or people with residence in Switzerland currently stranded in UK are still allowed to fly back from UK to Switzerland (need to undergo 10 days quarantine) and UK citizens currently in Switzerland could also fly back to UK...
Old Dec 22, 2020, 2:46 am

I also dont understand it. Travel agents cant rebook until its cancelled
Old Dec 22, 2020, 2:47 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by BinSabai
Swiss Citizens or people with residence in Switzerland currently stranded in UK are still allowed to fly back from UK to Switzerland (need to undergo 10 days quarantine) and UK citizens currently in Switzerland could also fly back to UK...
Hard to get in when you're "permitted" but flights aren't flying. All LHR-ZRH flights today are cancelled. And they'll likely be cancelled tomorrow and day after. I'm sure Swiss is taking this day by day because Switzerland has put in an indefinite ban.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 3:29 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by sophialite
Hard to get in when you're "permitted" but flights aren't flying. All LHR-ZRH flights today are cancelled. And they'll likely be cancelled tomorrow and day after. I'm sure Swiss is taking this day by day because Switzerland has put in an indefinite ban.
Swiss citizens and residents, who would like to return, have been addressed to appy to the EDA (foreign ministry) online. Flights will be organized.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Well no one flew back today. Let's see who would like to return and is therefore able to fly back tomorrow...
Old Dec 22, 2020, 4:07 am

All flight connections have been banned for the moment. So Swiss cant fly! Special permits might be given for special flights...
Also Swiss people are allowed back, but would have to swim and walk at moment
Even private jets not allowed
Old Dec 22, 2020, 6:17 am

I have a flight on 12/24 from ZRH to JNB. It's part of my connections from IAD - FRA - ZRH - JNB. Is it safe to assume this flight will no longer happen? Swiss hasn't cancelled the flights so I am unable to rebook with Swiss.

Thanks for all the help!
Old Dec 22, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
The Swiss Federal Office of Civil Aviation has decided to stop flights between Switzerland and UK + South Africa until further notice.
Airports and Airlines have been informed.

Link here (unfortunately, available only in German, French and Italian):
https://www.bazl.admin.ch/bazl/de/ho...-id-81764.html

Hence, Swiss might only cancel the flight once they are sure that the flight cannot happen (since on Dec 23, the office could reinstate them)
Old Dec 22, 2020, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by moebod
I also dont understand it. Travel agents cant rebook until its cancelled
I meant why do they leave it to the last minute. If the flights are near 100% not going to run - why do they wait to cancel?
Old Dec 22, 2020, 9:12 am

Now flights are back on sale for zrh-lhr but only on the 23rd. Rest of the year not bookable.

Glitch or intentional?
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Now flights are back on sale for zrh-lhr but only on the 23rd. Rest of the year not bookable.

Glitch or intentional?
Must be glitch - ZRH airport shows all flights cancelled to LHR tomorrow.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I have a December 24 LHR-ZRH 09:15 with LX booked via Lufthansa.com, still no news on cancellation, flights still confirmed in the system.
Since I am a UK national and it looks like a mess and no incentive for the voucher unlike earlier in the year with the 50 EUR credit, I will cancel the ticket for a full refund; just waiting on the cancellation.

I had a LHR-GVA on 31 December with BA and that is already cancelled by them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.