Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to/from UK and South Africa cancelled - rebooking?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'm scheduled to fly DXB-ZRH-LHR on the 27th (return leg of a round-trip). Checking EF I see inventory zeroed out for the next week but actual cancellations of ZRH-LHR only happening one day out.
  1. Is there any hope of getting LX to allow me to rebook for a later date (extending my DXB vacation by a week or two) before the flight is actually canceled?
  2. Similarly, what are the chances of getting rerouted on a nonstop with a non-partner airline like EK or BA? It doesn't look like UAE is banning UK flights so this looks like a viable option. I'm booked in LX J (black friday 2-for-1 ex-UK deal) so would Swiss reaccom onto EK J? What about once the flight is cancelled?
  3. The DXB-ZRH flight doesn't depart until 3:50 dubai time which is before midnight in UK. There's some chance at the time of boarding / departure the ZRH-LHR flight isn't canceled yet, but it is while I'm inflight or after landing (I'm not sure of the exact timing of cancellations). As a non Swiss resident I can't even enter ZRH, and options for rebooking from Zurich at that point will be nonexistent. What is likely to happen in practice - will I be denied entry and sent back to Dubai? Or indefinitely stranded airside?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:28 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
1) Yes, all fares booked in the last few months allow free changes. Fare difference will apply.
2) Extermely unlikely. But if the flight is cancelled, you are eligible for a refund.
3) I don't think LX would let you check-in for a trip to LHR should they not have restarted flights by then. Nor do I think you should try to travel on this route under those circumstances. You'd want to find another, direct way home.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
I've got the worst of both worlds coming in a week's time - JNB-ZRH-LHR

I'll post anything here if it's of use to others .. no contact from Swiss ( or Lufthansa as it's actually a LH ticket I think ) as yet which seems consistent with the flights not actually being cancelled as yet ... Frankly given the current state of the UK not in a huge rush to get home so fairly relaxed about it and have booked a backup Avios return on the BA direct flight anyways which seems wide open from JNB or CPT on most days so I'll probably keep that as a backup and roll it forwards a few days at a time but otherwise happy to sit it out in the sunshine here for a bit until things calm down.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Here:
https://www.newsd.admin.ch/newsd/mes...ents/64707.pdf

it says (in German) that the flight restrictions are valid until (at least) December 31 (Point 7 on page 2).
So I am not sure why Swiss doesn't cancel all those flights...
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:47 am

Programs: LH SEN
They seem to bulk cancel around 2000 the night before - doesn't leave much time if the flight is 9am the next morning
Old Dec 23, 2020, 2:03 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Looks like they've reopened all flights for sale again from 24DEC, for the ZRHLHR segment only. LHRZRH remains blocked for sale until 01JAN. Will be interesting to see if they start operating again with passengers on a single direction basis for the coming days.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 2:05 am

There have been a lot of news reports that a lot of UK citizens want to fly back since there is not a lot to do in Switzerland if they have to quarantine.
That would explain the flights for ZRH - LHR only, as they don't want to bring back people to Switzerland on the return flight.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 3:24 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Frankly I find it ridiculous that its less than 24 hours before and my LHR ZRH is still confirmed so I cant cancel and refund.

a friend of mine who also had a ticket and complained and they gave him a full refund
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:03 am

I was this morning in Swiss office Paradeplatz. They said flights tomorrow morning will operate and on return they only take cargo
I was told todays flight also went and LX318 shows on flightradar
They are working on getting a permit to take home swiss citiziens, for the moment they coming back empty
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Frankly I find it ridiculous that it’s less than 24 hours before and my LHR ZRH is still confirmed so I can’t cancel and refund.

a friend of mine who also had a ticket and complained and they gave him a full refund
​​​​​
If your flight is cancelled you can rebook it for anytime in the next year, any RBD. Isn't that better?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
​​​​​
If your flight is cancelled you can rebook it for anytime in the next year, any RBD. Isn't that better?
no I prefer cash we dont even know when UK nationals will be allowed into Switzerland again due to Brexit.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:29 am

Flights are back on as of tomorrow. Only Swiss Nationals and Residents allowed. Still quarantine.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:34 am

Well Swiss told me their flights are cancelled tomorrow, but they have not updated their systems yet so I really don't know what to believe anymore. They said they will update their systems up to 4 hours before the flight happens. I don't want to have to wake up at 4 am just to cancel the flight!
Old Dec 23, 2020, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Flights are back on as of tomorrow. Only Swiss Nationals and Residents allowed. Still quarantine.
Here is the document (in German, despite selecting English language - maybe they will update it soon):
https://www.bazl.admin.ch/bazl/en/ho...trictions.html

Indeed, flights to UK and South Africa are allowed again as of 23.12. 11pm UTC (ie midnight in Switzerland).
Flights from those countries to Switzerland only for Swiss nationals or permanent residents. Passenger flights to Switzerland need to be approved by authority (6 hours prior to flight latest).
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Here is the document (in German, despite selecting English language - maybe they will update it soon):
https://www.bazl.admin.ch/bazl/en/ho...trictions.html

Indeed, flights to UK and South Africa are allowed again as of 23.12. 11pm UTC (ie midnight in Switzerland).
Flights from those countries to Switzerland only for Swiss nationals or permanent residents. Passenger flights to Switzerland need to be approved by authority (6 hours prior to flight latest).
It's really going down to the wire, I have no idea what is going on with my flight except that I am not allowed to go to Switzerland even if it is operating. Lufthansa told me to wait until an hour before the flight before I call them for my 'options'. So far showing as operating. I guess Swiss will decide last minute what's going on tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.