Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ZRH to JFK Business class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 11:08 am
Original Poster

ZRH to JFK Business class

Booked 6 tickets ZRH to JFK today non stop in September. After reading reviews people seem to be disappointed in Swiss business. My other choice is United via London in Business with Polaris business London to EWR which I understand is a much better product. Is Swiss that bad that I should consider a connection? Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: LXFF
I would avoid UA on a direct flight... to make a connection for UA... I would never even consider that.
athome and vantage03 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ced_lx
I would avoid UA on a direct flight... to make a connection for UA... I would never even consider that.
Hi, I am a little confused what you said.. Swiss is the direct flight and UA is a connection.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by gogiantsfan11
Hi, I am a little confused what you said.. Swiss is the direct flight and UA is a connection.
Let me translate: very few experienced travelers would consider dealing with United if they have the option to fly Swiss......
athome and airoli like this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by verve
Let me translate: very few experienced travelers would consider dealing with United if they have the option to fly Swiss......
Got it.. thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Swiss is not so obviously inferior to Polaris that I would connect through LHR to make United happen. That said if you had the choice between UA nonstop and Swiss I would say UA is better if Polaris.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
LX non-stop all the way.
malmostoso likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Polaris is a better hard product than what LX offers in J but UA is pretty inferior in most other aspects of your overall travel experience, especially with a connection. I would stick with LX unless you really wanted to try Polaris, which is very good but not hugely different (in my opinion) than AA's new J on the 777 or AT's new J seat. That is to say, it's very good, and much better than UA's prior hard product, but not revolutionary.

Stick with LX!
athome likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all. We will stick with Swiss. Forget trying to find saver award business on United's non stop out of Zurich.
When trying to pick out seats I pull up the confirmation on Swiss website (after booking via united mileage plus ) and it will not let me book seats. Tells me to confirm the second person in the reservation first and when I put in the second name it tells me its invalid. Any experience with this?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by gogiantsfan11
Thanks to all. We will stick with Swiss. Forget trying to find saver award business on United's non stop out of Zurich.
When trying to pick out seats I pull up the confirmation on Swiss website (after booking via united mileage plus ) and it will not let me book seats. Tells me to confirm the second person in the reservation first and when I put in the second name it tells me its invalid. Any experience with this?
make sure you include the middle name in the first name box. Sometimes it combines my partner’s into one word
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
LX of course, it’s a no-brainer for me ... better service, no connection, don’t have to deal with UA.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: LX SEN
In addition to the comments above, I would add that you would barely have time to sleep if you stop in London. If you fly Swiss, you could decide to sleep until the latest time possible onboard and then get breakfast (which is not too bad) at the arrival loung in ZRH. From the arrival lounge, you are steps away form the train station which provides quick commutes to the center of Zurich.

NOTE: I am assuming that this is a return ticket (maybe wrongly)

Last edited by Nic33; Dec 30, 2019 at 4:58 am
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:01 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Quite funny: could you believe a similar thread in 2013 or 2014. One would have to be insane to even consider flying with UA and 'experience' the 8-abrest C on B777.

The same with AA - BA forum is full of 'AA is better' threads.

And the end of the day neither UA nor LX cares too much which one you fly with as they are part of the same JV cartel.

Unless you save a lot of miles by flying with UA, I would stick with LX. But UA hard product is very competitive - especially on B767 (1-1-1). Just remember that with UA call button is 'for emergency only', so if you want something go to the galley
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:22 am

If I couldn’t fly F, the UA itinerary was more convenient, and I was guaranteed Polaris, I would take UA any day of the week. The service is probably not nearly as good, but the hard product is so clearly superior I think it’s worth it. That said I don’t think the LX or even LH products are that bad! I’ve never had an uncomfortable J flight on either carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.