Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage on CS 300

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Baggage on CS 300

Hello, I'll be transferring in Zurich from SFO on a 777 to cs300 on short connection, business class. I'd like to keep my larger carry on bag with me on the777, don't want it to mis connect if we arrive late.

Will there be a security check between USA and paris? Assume I can just gate check it before boarding at the gate in zurich if carry on size is reduced for cs 300? It will then be on the carousel at CDG with other checked bags? Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited by 1k-all-the-way; Mar 31, 2019 at 8:24 am
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: LH HON
No security check in ZRH after arrival from SFO. Storage on CS300 is quite ok, like on A320.
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
You should be fine in J on the CS, overhead bins are a generous size
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:44 pm

Yes, the bins are fine. The sizers and Koffernazis at the gate are not so fine. The risk in business class is low but if your bag (2 bags max actually) is larger than the sizer at the gate or heavier than 8 kg they can still make you check it, in business class this will likely be free of charge. (Light fare with upgrade maybe not.)
​​​​​​
It happens. Last week we even had an "on-board cabin crew Koffernazi". He had his private luggage scale with him and was proudly and meticulously weighing the pax carry on at boarding. I asked him and he said he closes his eyes up to about 10kg and is very flexible with business pax but for him it's about safety so 16kg it is no way no matter what class.

I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to debate the capacity of the bins or statistics on injuries.

I am experienced enough to use a trolley that converts to a backpack in backpack mode only, when flying Swiss.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Is it common for them to weigh your carry on baggage on every flight or is this an occasional thing? Trying to decide if I should gamble or check in my carry on. Flying from ZRH to DUS. Short flight and does not look like it will be very full. If they check it at the gate do I pick it up at the gate on arrival or does it go with the rest of the checked luggage? I have the old Costco "Kirkland" 22" carry on which you can't buy anymore and I'm terrified of losing it or having it damaged if I check it in.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
It is more of an occasional thing, far from every flight. More likely when your bag looks like it is too big or very heavy and/or when the flight is full.

The bins are actually rather big and not a problem, as long as you get on board with the bag.
Uh Clem likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Originally Posted by worldclubber
It is more of an occasional thing, far from every flight. More likely when your bag looks like it is too big or very heavy and/or when the flight is full.

The bins are actually rather big and not a problem, as long as you get on board with the bag.
Thanks for the info. I always check in online so there would be no reason for them to weigh it at the ticket counter.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:29 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Uh Clem
Thanks for the info. I always check in online so there would be no reason for them to weigh it at the ticket counter.
Swiss sizes bags at the gate, a lot more in ZRH than GVA. Weighing is rarer but can happen. So whether you check in at a counter or not doesn't make a difference - in fact I've never had real trouble at check-in, always at the gate (except for OS at security at VIE).

At outstations it's rarer but it depends where and who you get. The risk is that you have a gate agent who's on a power trip and decides you have to pay a penalty for your bag.

Also a word of caution, 22" is 55.88 cm and LH group allows 55cm maximum. The problem is their sizers are probably 50-52cm at best (I can't fit my 55cm in there when it's empty). Gate agents know about this but usually say "sorry you're right but I enforce rules I don't set them". YMMV...
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by GVA
The problem is their sizers are probably 50-52cm at best (I can't fit my 55cm in there when it's empty). Gate agents know about this but usually say "sorry you're right but I enforce rules I don't set them". YMMV...
I always travel with a max size trolley and max size personal item on top of it. And in dozens of flights through ZRH, I have never been asked to use a sizer or got into any trouble. Does not mean it does not happen, but I cannot confirm that it happens all the time.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by GVA

Also a word of caution, 22" is 55.88 cm and LH group allows 55cm maximum. The problem is their sizers are probably 50-52cm at best (I can't fit my 55cm in there when it's empty). Gate agents know about this but usually say "sorry you're right but I enforce rules I don't set them". YMMV...
Having been scammed by this years ago, I keep a very small tape measure in my bag, it cost me about €1 and it has saved me ever being scammed again!
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum

I always travel with a max size trolley and max size personal item on top of it. And in dozens of flights through ZRH, I have never been asked to use a sizer or got into any trouble. Does not mean it does not happen, but I cannot confirm that it happens all the time.
Ditto, and my rolly is slightly deeper than what's allowed.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:45 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP

I have 3 or 4 times in ZRH and as many in GVA. It happens but is rare. It's always happened to me on a economy light fare, never business.

One of the times it did happen to me, the gate agent told me "if you were in business you'd be ok, but I'm tagging your bag." A few minutes later when boarding began my boarding pass beeped, same agent had upgraded me to business and ripped the bag tag off and told me that senator's shouldn't be subject to these rules. A great gate agent.
Vixit, lhrpete and worldclubber like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by GVA
I have 3 or 4 times in ZRH and as many in GVA. It happens but is rare. It's always happened to me on a economy light fare, never business.

One of the times it did happen to me, the gate agent told me "if you were in business you'd be ok, but I'm tagging your bag." A few minutes later when boarding began my boarding pass beeped, same agent had upgraded me to business and ripped the bag tag off and told me that senator's shouldn't be subject to these rules. A great gate agent.
Sounds like an agent with an appreciation of the bigger picture.

It has never happened to me, whatever fare.

And no, I do not have any of these hideous SEN Tags attached to my luggage.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:24 pm

So I took a chance at ZRH with my 22" carry on that weighed at least 16 kg. The agent just happened to glance over as I was getting ready to board and it was pretty obvious that my carry on was out of spec. He was actually pretty nice and tagged my carry on telling me to give it to the ground crew when the bus dropped us at the jet. There was a guy waiting there and I felt good about the fact that I knew my luggage would be put on the correct flight since I was able to see him load it on the jet. Also when we landed in Dusseldorf my carry on was one of the first out at the airport luggage carousel.

Last edited by Uh Clem; Jun 6, 2019 at 1:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.