Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777-300 vs. A330-300

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I don’t think there’s a difference in soft product, although last time I flew the A330 F was in 2016.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Regardless of soft product, I would choose to avoid the ORD transfer at all cost. Why pay a visit to CBP if you can avoid it...
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by MichielR
Regardless of soft product, I would choose to avoid the ORD transfer at all cost. Why pay a visit to CBP if you can avoid it...
Particularly if the class of travel is not F, where the 777 has a slight edge over the 330.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:49 am

I would deal with ORD transit to take the 777 F over A330 F, but not J.

But I am also a US citizen with global entry, so I don’t know if that’s makes a difference.

I did ZRH-ORD-SFO in Swiss F/UA J in 2017. It was fine.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Thanks for the info! I go to the US 20 times a year, so transit is not a big deal. Booking on points, so F isn't an option on LX unfortunately.

I think I will stick with the YUL transfer as coming into YTZ is also a lot more convenient! Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF gold, HHdiamond
Originally Posted by pkerr
I agree...
ORD - ZRH
J class
i have flown SWISS TATL flights during last 3 years more than 40 times on both birds...
if travel class is J go for 777 without any doubt...of course if you can get the throne... that is the greatest privacy... in my opinion the best LH group product ! (and on the top 3 *A products !)
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by lacoca
i have flown SWISS TATL flights during last 3 years more than 40 times on both birds...
if travel class is J go for 777 without any doubt...of course if you can get the throne... that is the greatest privacy... in my opinion the best LH group product ! (and on the top 3 *A products !)
Just curious: why would you go for the 773 in J? In my experience, product differences are negiligeable (other than the 773 being the noisy droner...).
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by curt
Just curious: why would you go for the 773 in J? In my experience, product differences are negiligeable (other than the 773 being the noisy droner...).
Totally agree. I was just in 4A on the B777 (the “super-throne”) and was not impressed, in no way better than thrones on the A330.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
In my opinion, neither in F nor in C are there enough differences between A333 and B77W that justify a detour, transfer or CBP visit.

Yes, the B77W is newer and its F has the sliding door, a second toilet and bigger IFE monitor, but the A333 F seat is still excellent and soft product is usually great in both. And the A333 is noticeably quieter, even in the front. More noticeable even in C, where the A333 alsohas the advantage for solo travelers of having more single seats than the B77W.

Haven’t flown either in Y but I would imagine the 10 abreast B77W should be avoided at all cost.
airoli and worldclubber like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by MichielR
In my opinion, neither in F nor in C are there enough differences between A333 and B77W that justify a detour, transfer or CBP visit.
True. To me the most noticeable differences is that the 330 in C look old (plastics turned to yellow, small screens) and that the thrones are in the 777 offer a lot of space and privacy.

With respect to the noise, I did not perceive any difference in both planes. Both are terribly noisy compared to the newer 380, 787 etc. Re the LX 777, I am wondering if some of the noise could be reduced by simply adjusting the ventilation settings. The ventilation seems unecessarily high and noisy.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:29 am

Noise doesn’t really make a difference to me since I wear ear plugs or earphones for nearly the entire flight, as you should no matter what aircraft you’re flying.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
Noise doesn’t really make a difference to me since I wear ear plugs or earphones for nearly the entire flight, as you should no matter what aircraft you’re flying.
With all due respect, but why do you seem to always think that what is best for you is automatically best for everybody? I hate earplugs, but wouldn't recommend that nobody should ever wear them, based on my preference ...
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
With all due respect, but why do you seem to always think that what is best for you is automatically best for everybody? I hate earplugs, but wouldn't recommend that nobody should ever wear them, based on my preference ...
With all due respect, I assume you do not want to harm yourself. Engine noise from any aircraft damages your hearing. Therefore, you should cover your ears with something. What that "something" is, is definitely a different answer for everyone: can be ear plugs or ear phones (in the post you quoted, I mention both). You can also use cotton gauze, I suppose, but I don't know if those provide sufficient protection. You can use this website called Google to figure out what options there are, but the two I provided above are I think the most common.

Feel free to let me know if my initial assumption, that you do not want to harm yourself, is wrong. I don't feel the need to apologize for making it because I guess I don't think it's unreasonable to make that assumption. But I've been surprised in the past.

For what it's worth, I hate ear plugs too. I use IEMs. My partner uses noise-cancelling, over the ear headphones. I don't like those because they're too bulky to sleep in. Obviously, many different options here depending on what your preferences are.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
Engine noise from any aircraft damages your hearing.
Really? Towards the pointy end and on a decent plane, i.e. not on a 777, I never had the impression that it is so loud it would damage my hearing.

FAs work on planes all the time and do not wear protection. Where are the unions when you need them.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:52 am

I would just Google it for the science. But the gist of it is yes, airplane noise is loud and damaging no matter where you are on the plane and no matter the plane. It’s actually a bit low key and a slow burn, because you don’t realize it. But it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.