Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Early Check-in/Interline with Air Tahiti?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

LAX Early Check-in/Interline with Air Tahiti?

Hi there,

I have a question that perhaps some of you can shed some light on:

Booked for a friend
PPT-LAX on Air Tahiti Nui arriving at 1055 connecting onto LX 41 LAX-ZRH departure at 1920.

1) does TN have an interline agreement with LX? can my friend check her bag at PPT all the way to ZRH? Then she would just collect her bag at LAX and put it back on the carousel after clearing customs and proceed to the departure hall.

2) if not, when she arrives at LAX, and clears customs and immigration, can she go to the LH/LX checkin counter and already check her bag in? I assume she will be out of customs at around noon, so its still a bit early to check in for LX 41 at 1920, however there is a LH flight to FRA at 1520. (I think LH/LX share the same counters? Will LH take luggage for an LX pax?

3) I am less concerned for the boarding pass, as long as she does OLCI before leaving PPT and has the barcode on her phone, she should be able to proceed past security and go to the Star Alliance lounge, but it would be stupid if she can't because she is stuck with her checkin luggage.

Many thanks in advance!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
Hi there,

I have a question that perhaps some of you can shed some light on:

Booked for a friend
PPT-LAX on Air Tahiti Nui arriving at 1055 connecting onto LX 41 LAX-ZRH departure at 1920.

1) does TN have an interline agreement with LX? can my friend check her bag at PPT all the way to ZRH? Then she would just collect her bag at LAX and put it back on the carousel after clearing customs and proceed to the departure hall.

2) if not, when she arrives at LAX, and clears customs and immigration, can she go to the LH/LX checkin counter and already check her bag in? I assume she will be out of customs at around noon, so its still a bit early to check in for LX 41 at 1920, however there is a LH flight to FRA at 1520. (I think LH/LX share the same counters? Will LH take luggage for an LX pax?

3) I am less concerned for the boarding pass, as long as she does OLCI before leaving PPT and has the barcode on her phone, she should be able to proceed past security and go to the Star Alliance lounge, but it would be stupid if she can't because she is stuck with her checkin luggage.

Many thanks in advance!
I can only answer 2.
Last time LX and LH had different Check In areas and they usually only open around 3 hours before the flight. LH does not check in for LX.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Oh...that's not good news if Air Tahiti doesn't interline with LX...!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
While LX and TN do not have interline agreements for ticketing, Expertflyer shows, that TN *MAY* check baggage to LX... to will or not might be the question here...

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Interline Agreements:
Flying TN

E-Ticket Interline Agreements
    AA        AC        AF        AS        AY        AZ        
    BA        CA        CI        CX        CZ        DL        
    EK        GK        HA        JL        JQ        KA        
    KE        KL        LA        LH        LP        ME        
    MU        NZ        OZ        QF        SB        SU        
    US        VS        VT        VX        XL        4M        

Paper Ticket and Baggage Interline Agreements

MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
       AA  AB  AC  AF  AS  AY  AZ  BA  BE  BR  CA  CI  CX  CZ  
       DL  EK  FJ  GK  HA  HR  IR  JL  JQ  KA  KE  KL  LA  LH  
       LP  LY  ME  MU  MX  NZ  OU  OZ  QF  SB  SU  TN  TP  UU  
       VN  VS  VT  VX  XL  XM  4M                              

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
       AA  AB  AC  AF  AS  AY  AZ  BA  BE  BR  CA  CI  CX  CZ  
       DL  EK  FJ  GK  HA  HR  IR  JL  JQ  KA  KE  KL  LA  LH  
       LP  LX  LY  MU  MX  NZ  OU  OZ  QF  SB  SU  TN  TP  UU  
       VN  VS  VX  XL  XM  4M
Here the official LX interline list on their internet site:
https://www.swiss.com/za/en/prepare/...-partners.html
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Oh wow, many thanks for the info!
I guess in this case the only thing to do is wait and see...
I didn't know there is such a thing a 'may' interline...either you do or you don't?!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Actually, i just realized, after customs, there are usually Transfer Desks located in the area where you drop off your luggage for connecting flights...
1) is there such a thing at LAX
TBIT
2) if so, can they handle LX checkin so many hours in advance? (Is there a Star Alliance desk handling Star Alliance Airlines or...?)
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:15 am

Actually, i just realized, after customs, there are usually Transfer Desks located in the area where you drop off your luggage for connecting flights...
1) is there such a thing at LAX
TBIT
2) if so, can they handle LX checkin so many hours in advance? (Is there a Star Alliance desk handling Star Alliance Airlines or...?)
The drop off in my experience is only for bags which are already tagged, not for checking bags. There is one at TBIT.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Oh wow, many thanks for the info!
I guess in this case the only thing to do is wait and see...
I didn't know there is such a thing a 'may' interline...either you do or you don't?!
Should also be noted that strictly speaking, the interline agreements are only for a single reservation. When the travel involves two different reservations, then it truly is dependent only and only on willingness of the two involved airlines and it becomes question of "check in luggage through". Since TN and LX do not have an e-ticket agreement, I think that chance of having luggage checked through on two separate tickets is slim, if not zero.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
The drop off in my experience is only for bags which are already tagged, not for checking bags. There is one at TBIT.
I understand that some airlines do staff the re-check counter, but I doubt that there will be an LX representative eight hours before its single LAX departure.

OP might want to look into a day room at one of the airport hotels . . . as there's a good chance they'll be stuck with the bags and this is a fair bit of time to kill.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I understand that some airlines do staff the re-check counter, but I doubt that there will be an LX representative eight hours before its single LAX departure.

OP might want to look into a day room at one of the airport hotels . . . as there's a good chance they'll be stuck with the bags and this is a fair bit of time to kill.
I guess that is a sensible idea...! I was hoping there would be a Star Alliance employee at the re-check desk who could handle LH/LX/SQ/BR/UA etc. connections...wouldn't that be sensible? As there will be arrivals/departures all day on Star Alliance carriers and it's much more cost effective to have one airline handle the job (a bit like they have one airline running the lounges)
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I guess that is a sensible idea...! I was hoping there would be a Star Alliance employee at the re-check desk who could handle LH/LX/SQ/BR/UA etc. connections...wouldn't that be sensible? As there will be arrivals/departures all day on Star Alliance carriers and it's much more cost effective to have one airline handle the job (a bit like they have one airline running the lounges)
Do not forget that "Star Alliance" is just marketing thing... All the airlines do take care of their own business only... So, no, I don't think you will get any luck...
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was hoping there would be a Star Alliance employee at the re-check desk who could handle LH/LX/SQ/BR/UA etc. connections...wouldn't that be sensible?
"Star Alliance" doesn't handle ops or passenger services. Those are handled exclusively by the carriers. Even the *A lounges are operated by the various carriers under contract from *A. For instance the TBIT lounge is operated by NZ.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster

"Star Alliance" doesn't handle ops or passenger services. Those are handled exclusively by the carriers. Even the *A lounges are operated by the various carriers under contract from *A. For instance the TBIT lounge is operated by NZ.
I know...I was just hoping for a counter shared by few airlines, like at LHR Queens Terminal, where you can go to the transfer desk and they will help you regardless of whether you are on LH/LX/OS. They once did a fantastic job of rebooking me onto BA when my LX flight was canceled...

Anyway, thanks for all the info and suggestions,
we will see what happens at LAX...
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:59 pm

I was just hoping for a counter shared by few airlines, like at LHR Queens Terminal, where you can go to the transfer desk and they will help you regardless of whether you are on LH/LX/OS. They once did a fantastic job of rebooking me onto BA when my LX flight was canceled...
I came through LAX TBIT around 1:30 p.m. yesterday, and there was a staffed LH/LX/OS counter at baggage re-check. Curiously, UA does not have a staffed counter.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

I came through LAX TBIT around 1:30 p.m. yesterday, and there was a staffed LH/LX/OS counter at baggage re-check. Curiously, UA does not have a staffed counter.
oh, really? thats good news, hopefully it will work for my friend.
UA probably doesn't have a counter because their flights don't depart from TBIT?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.