Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Swiss lost it as a premium airline with a niché?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: LX/LH HON, BA Gold, AF Platinum
Since I fly ex-GVA, LX tends to be the most convenient. What I really like about the LX C seats is the ability to have one on my own. It is clear that the IFE screens are way behind the competition, particularly on the A340. Same of course for the A340 in F. It took me some time before I understood how to adjust the C cushions to sleep well. Others like the new LH seats, UA and BA can be more comfortable, unless you work out how to adjust them correctly. My main objection to BA is having to clear security a second time in LHR when going to and from the USA.

The LH crews seem to have had smile training sometime early this year. It sometimes seems a bit forced. The main thing I would appreciate would be if more of them would remember the language I speak to them first time they talk to me. Swiss crew much better at that, presumably from having to live that way in daily life in our small country.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by GRUflyer
..GRU is now is now 5 x daily 77W and one 772.
Fair enough, I enjoyed that bird myself on that route. Having a stroll through the rear cabin though is no pretty sight. It shows a world of what LX will become when they go "premium centric" on the 777: a too fancy Biz product - which renders F all but worthless - and a uber-crap coach on all levels (sub EK standard) with no PE to fill the gap .

When I have to fly coach, I only book AA on the new hardware if they can guarantee an MCE seat. And I used the 24h free cancelation on more than one occasion.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Originally Posted by weero
Fair enough, I enjoyed that bird myself on that route. Having a stroll through the rear cabin though is no pretty sight. It shows a world of what LX will become when they go "premium centric" on the 777: a too fancy Biz product - which renders F all but worthless - and a uber-crap coach on all levels (sub EK standard) with no PE to fill the gap .

When I have to fly coach, I only book AA on the new hardware if they can guarantee an MCE seat. And I used the 24h free cancelation on more than one occasion.
I do not think having an excellent C automatically means there is no room for F.

SQ does it well, and despite many people claiming that C and F in the 77W are pretty much the same, I could not disagree more. Seat-wise there is definetely a difference, and service-wise a HUGE difference.

If LX can mantain an excellent catering and service in F, I seriously think it would not be tough to fill seats, specially to premium destinations like HKG, GRU, JFK and LAX.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by seat 1a

Only in HON service LX is light years ahead.
So was booked on one of the strike cancelled LH flights this week . Sunday I get a mail / sms from LH telling me about it and giving me a link to a website for rebooking 😫

Today on a cancelled LX flight , get an sms telling me about the cancellation but also what flight I am rebooked on , within 5 minutes of the sms I get a call from the LX HON desk asking if the rebooked flight will work for me and if so , can we check you in now over the phone.👍👍
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:00 am

I do not think having an excellent C automatically means there is no room for F.

SQ does it well, and despite many people claiming that C and F in the 77W are pretty much the same, I could not disagree more. Seat-wise there is definetely a difference, and service-wise a HUGE difference.
Except for the continuous recline and more room for the feet, the seats on the 77W are pretty much the same. I don't care for service and this limits my perspective.

But I was talking about AA's 77W where the difference between new C and F shrank to questionably fine margins. AA C food is quite fine and I have to notice the difference to F.

But more importantly is that LX which has potential for medium income customers has not realised a PE whereas SQ noticed that their reputation for European customers is such that they need to attract that segment (which doesn't exist in their home market). LX is venturing in some silly gambling with further crippling coach and not offering a PE.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: LH SEN
I sometimes have the impression that Swiss relies (similar to other airlines) a bit too much on their local customer. As a Swiss citizen you fly Swiss!
With the acquisition into LH and the observable decline on service etc I definitely look into other options. For private travels PE is my main transport. Don't want to afford C, but don't mind shelling out a bit more for a more leg space and hopefully more comfort.
I don't know if LX should get rid of F and instead introduce PE.
W
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Wombelero
W
They should not!
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
I do like the LX seat (a BCN-JFK on AA last week convinced me of that...grrrrr...) however I have a different gripe.

Every LX flight I've taken lately (ZRH-PVG-BOS) the aircraft has been uncomfortably warm. When you walk to the galley it's cold. So the flight attendants crank up the heat which makes it very uncomfortable. But I guess that's a problem with the A330.

Service wise I have to say 90% of the time it is excellent. I've had some really bad experiences (PVG-ZRH in particular) but for the most part it's been great.

Too bad M&M has reduced its P class earning to 100%. Moved my business to BA/IB.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weero
Except for the continuous recline and more room for the feet, the seats on the 77W are pretty much the same. I don't care for service and this limits my perspective.
Your head, shoulder and waist space is also much bigger in F.

I believe people are misled by the fact that they have the same basic functions.

However, the product is very different. Most people who say its marginally better than C, has yet to really try it most of the time.

I do agree with you though, that unless one values privacy and personalised service, it is hard to justify the fare difference between C and F, in any carrier with modern cabins.

Also, I do agree with you: LX is missing out on huge potential of Introducing PE. They (still) have the reputation of a solid premium carrier, so they would much more easily attract people to their upgraded cabin than LH or AF.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Dear FTers,

I have not set foot on a LX flight for over 2 years now. I had catastrophic service onboard, so I just gave it up altogether.

[...]

I gave up completely on LX.
So you are not even considering flying with them in F, but starting a conversation about LX?

BTW, even the French don't use an é when spelling niche: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niche_de_march%C3%A9
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
So you are not even considering flying with them in F, but starting a conversation about LX?

BTW, even the French don't use an é when spelling niche: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niche_de_march%C3%A9
I am sorry, I missed the FT rules that says that one must not comment about a product if one has no intention on flying it (for now).

As a Forum Moderator, could you please specify which rules I am breaking?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Wombelero
..As a Swiss citizen you fly Swiss!
I heard that argument regularly for the stinkin' SR ... never for LX. LX was greeted with the coldest possible public perception any flag carrier ever has.

Probably somewhat linked with the enormous scam and economic crime our Banana-Democracy government has robbed all SR shareholders and creditors with in order to keep the dead horse/pegasus flying.
With the acquisition into LH and the observable decline on service etc I definitely look into other options.
But the decline came a loooong time after the LHydra swallowed the tiny LX. For many years, LX was much better an airline than SR ever was.
For private travels PE is my main transport. Don't want to afford C, but don't mind shelling out a bit more for a more leg space and hopefully more comfort.
W
F is a superfluous product with little hardware distinction to the current C. It's an upgrade space for M&M and their beloved HONs.

PE OTOH is an absolute must when the new, non-flyable Y-- will be introduced.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:46 pm

Your head, shoulder and waist space is also much bigger in F.
How is that relevant when the C space there is plentiful? I agree it's a major difference when in bed mode ... but I can happily sleep on all positions on SQ and on hardly any other lie-flat product (sans OS and LX, I have to add).
I do agree with you though, that unless one values privacy and personalised service...
Sure the service is infinitely better ... but I am not a service person and hence dislike being interrupted while staring at violent movies. When it comes to privacy, the SQ C "suite" is unbeatable for a C seat. So F adds just a tiny bit to a need that isn't really there anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.