Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:55 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by pp1
I am flying from JFK ->ZRH -> HAM. There are roughly 90 mins from when landing at ZHR to my departing flight to HAM. I have an american passport and want to know what sort of transition I should expect (security/passport/immigration etc). Thank you!!
Piece of cake!
Youll arrive in Terminal E, there you can check out the Swiss Business Lounge E and then head to Terminal A/B with the Sky Metro. To enter Terminal A/B you will go through passport control. There you can then check out the new Swiss Lounge center A (Its beautiful) or head to your departure gate directly. The whole procedure would take about 15-20 minutes with no lounge visits.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Norway has it on website (this was the first result I found). I would expect the same or similar rules in other Schengen countries.

Misconnection in transit is not listed as a valid reason, but a reasonably similar one is

Except that in this case you would not be "crew", but... I guess you see my point.

There are other points, like having sufficient funds to sustain the stay - I think that would be adequately covered by the duty to care of Swiss.
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
Is not a well documented procedure, because it is suppose to happen only in exceptional circumstances. This is why sometimes they will give you one so you can go and sleep in a hotel and sometimes they will say 'tough life, mate'

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/sch...ossing-points/
Knowing the Swiss Border Police I see a very slim chance that they will actually issue a visa in such a situation. (The Swiss are not exactly famous for making exceptions from the rules, I mean our (unofficial) national motto is: Everything must have its order/correctness.)
And frankly, I would not suggest to take the chance.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:11 pm

For an upcoming flight, I'll be landing in ZRH on UA134 at 8:30a. I'm considering booking a flight on Easyjet that departs at 10:20a (U2 8114). I'll only have carry-on luggage. Is this safe? I'm not sure if the two are in the same terminal / if I'll have to go through immigration.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by rmannion
For an upcoming flight, I'll be landing in ZRH on UA134 at 8:30a. I'm considering booking a flight on Easyjet that departs at 10:20a (U2 8114). I'll only have carry-on luggage. Is this safe? I'm not sure if the two are in the same terminal / if I'll have to go through immigration.
You will arrive on UA into TE & flights to LON usually depart from D, lots of threads here with detailed transfer information at ZRH.

If you are on seperate tickets & something goes wrong, the risk is entirely yours.

On a normal day thats plenty of time for a transfer, since you can print out your BP for U2 well in advance.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:03 am

Thanks! I understand the risks and I appreciate your insight.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Greetings All, long time Qatar Gold trying Swiss for the first time. Flying LHR-ZRH-BKK with a 1h 25m transit. I've done my home work & understand ZRH is an efficient airport. One point is slightly blurry though, perhaps the regulars could clarify please?

LHR flights (usually) arrive at D gates
BKK flights (usually) depart from E gates

Q; As both departure & arrival airports are non-Schengen will I be able to access the SkyMetro directly to transfer, or will I be subject to passport control? Might make a difference if it's busy or the LHR flight lands behind schedule.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by impeymac
Greetings All, long time Qatar Gold trying Swiss for the first time. Flying LHR-ZRH-BKK with a 1h 25m transit. I've done my home work & understand ZRH is an efficient airport. One point is slightly blurry though, perhaps the regulars could clarify please?

LHR flights (usually) arrive at D gates
BKK flights (usually) depart from E gates

Q; As both departure & arrival airports are non-Schengen will I be able to access the SkyMetro directly to transfer, or will I be subject to passport control? Might make a difference if it's busy or the LHR flight lands behind schedule.

Thanks in anticipation.
Yes, direct access to Heidi Train, from D to E gates.

ZRH is one of the best airports for transfers & they usually hold a bit for connecting pax.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by chris63

Yes, direct access to Heidi Train, from D to E gates.

ZRH is one of the best airports for transfers & they usually hold a bit for connecting pax.
Many thanks for the quick reply Chris, much appreciated. ^

One more cheeky question if I may: how are Swiss with luggage transfers? On Qatar, even with the shortest transfers you were confident your luggage would make it.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by impeymac
Many thanks for the quick reply Chris, much appreciated. ^

One more cheeky question if I may: how are Swiss with luggage transfers? On Qatar, even with the shortest transfers you were confident your luggage would make it.
Very welcome !

Excellent, IME

Do let us know what you think of your LX trip in comparison to QR.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:44 am

LX / ZRH is quite good at luggage transfer, but sometimes there are tons of huge trolleys (those that are used to transfer baggage to the aircrafts) loaded to the brim with luggage, where people made their connections, but the luggage didn't. (usually to be found in late evening/early morning at Luggage Area 2) - but 1hr 25min, even with LX's regular "rolling delays" throughout the day, is quite good to make the connection. Those trolleys are, from my understanding, more from people with 40min connections, where the incoming flight was 20min late - LX will hold the long haul aircraft for the pax, but not for the luggage..

I'm always having anything I really need for the next 2-3 days in my carry-on, and in 95% of all "lost luggage" situations, LX will be able to send it to you within 1-2 days, so I'd not worry too much about that.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:04 pm

Once again, many thanks Chris & Yuropflyer - really quick & informative feedback.

My flights aren't until 2019 but I'll certainly post some info on the comparison between LX& QR.

The excellent J price persuaded me to advertise on the QR forum, & in addition to that my decision to try Swiss persuaded friends to also book Swiss in J.

Again, many thanks. Already looking forward to trying the Swiss product!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, ex-Aeroplan Elite; Hertz #1 club
Is there a security check as well as passport control in the Non-Schengen to Schengen transfer in ZRH? We are coming from LHR, with a 1 hour connection to NAP - both flights Swissair.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by donard
Is there a security check as well as passport control in the Non-Schengen to Schengen transfer in ZRH? We are coming from LHR, with a 1 hour connection to NAP - both flights Swissair.
Depends where you are coming from but I'm 99.9% sure that LHR is "clean" so you do not have to go through security (I did security coming from NBO but not BOS, for example).
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LHR flights should arrive at D so no security to transfer to A for NAP departure, just an easy passport check between D & A.
MichielR likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Im pretty sure none of your flights are on Swissair :P
bawm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.