Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Geneva [GVA]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2023, 8:39 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by worldclubber
A question for the GVA flyers here: I have a connection at GVA coming up (JFK-GVA-ZRH-home), arriving in F. Has anybody heard any rumors on when/whether the F lounge at GVA is going to reopen? Even the FCL at MUC's satellite is scheduled to reopen in April, so GVA and the FCL in B at FRA seem to be the last lounges that are still closed.

Are there any other services I can expect at GVA as a passenger arriving in F? (my last transfer at GVA in F was outbound and pre-pandemic, so cannot really remember well)
Construction is in progress, at least the area is closed off with plastic. In the interim there is a reserved corner in the C lounge, with the menu as posted in the F lounge thread.

Haven't arrived ex-JFK since the new wing opened so I can't comment on whether there will be a car transfer to the main Schengen area.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by MichielR
Construction is in progress, at least the area is closed off with plastic. In the interim there is a reserved corner in the C lounge, with the menu as posted in the F lounge thread.

Haven't arrived ex-JFK since the new wing opened so I can't comment on whether there will be a car transfer to the main Schengen area.
Thank you very much, was hoping for your input.

Still a few weeks until my flight, would love to see the new/reopened FCL. My last visit to the GVA FCL was in Feb 2020, just before everything was closed down due to the pandemic.

Have to check out whether the menu is any good. A friend who was there a little while ago told me that they were offered a nice table (with table cloth, FCL-style glasses etc.), but the food to be served was supposed to be from the J-lounge-buffet. Hope that's no longer the case.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Thank you very much, was hoping for your input.

Still a few weeks until my flight, would love to see the new/reopened FCL. My last visit to the GVA FCL was in Feb 2020, just before everything was closed down due to the pandemic.

Have to check out whether the menu is any good. A friend who was there a little while ago told me that they were offered a nice table (with table cloth, FCL-style glasses etc.), but the food to be served was supposed to be from the J-lounge-buffet. Hope that's no longer the case.
Post COVID, they first brought food from the C buffet but now they have gone back to the pre-COVID situation with a small menu of food that is brought up from one of the restaurant kitchens. Menu was posted here.

Tables are set and the F section has its own drinks:

worldclubber likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 5:04 pm

Post COVID, they first brought food from the C buffet but now they have gone back to the pre-COVID situation with a small menu of food that is brought up from one of the restaurant kitchens. Menu was posted here.

Tables are set and the F section has its own drinks
Found the menu, but there don’t seem to be any mains. But I will survive until I can enjoy the ZRH FCL a little later.

Don’t know whether I will need the booze, it will be a morning transfer. Maybe some bubbles, but probably no whisky.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:08 am

Programs: LH HON
Is there a van transfer for the 8 passengers in First from the plane (LX23) to the terminal/passport control like in ZRH?
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:04 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Have a weird one coming up - arriving on OS from VIE and flying out on EY to AUH. As I understand it, I'll have to clear security becasue GVA doesn't accept clean Schengen transfers, and then emigration after. So two stops. Is this right?

Thanks,

Last edited by loganre17; Mar 20, 2023 at 9:10 pm
Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by loganre17
Have a weird one coming up - arriving on OS from VIE and flying out on EY to AUH. As I understand it, I'll have to clear security becasue GVA doesn't accept clean Schengen transfers, and then emigration after. So two stops. Is this right?

Thanks,
Arriving on OS you can simply go upstairs to the main airside departure lounge, from there you go through immigration to the new wing.
loganre17 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 7:34 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)

Originally Posted by shipsmail
Is there a van transfer for the 8 passengers in First from the plane (LX23) to the terminal/passport control like in ZRH?
In summer of 22 this was sadly not offered, neither for HON nor F. I believe before the new long haul terminal opened a car transfer was available for HON (but not F) due to the apron position.

I was quite unhappy with the signage coming from the long haul terminal, the door for transfer security was closed and there appeared to be no other way to get to the Schengen area other than to completely exit and reenter having to queue and go through security again. Not the most relaxing thing to do on a 45min connection.

I would hope this has been improved by now, but please do report back on your experiences!
Old Apr 16, 2023, 9:25 am

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but how are folks fairing on checked baggage making it during their GVA connections? For context, I'm on LX 23 (the JFK to GVA red-eye), and then have 3-3.5 hour stopover before taking my next LX flight to London (LHR). All in J class / am *A Gold. What are the odds the bag doesn't make the connection?

Am hoping as close to 0 as possible, only as I have a SQ flight out of London the next day, so am hoping to avoid any luggage ping pong due to missed transfers. Thanks all for any guidance / data points you can provide from recent GVA connections!
Old Apr 16, 2023, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by hardworking21
Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but how are folks fairing on checked baggage making it during their GVA connections? For context, I'm on LX 23 (the JFK to GVA red-eye), and then have 3-3.5 hour stopover before taking my next LX flight to London (LHR). All in J class / am *A Gold. What are the odds the bag doesn't make the connection?

Am hoping as close to 0 as possible, only as I have a SQ flight out of London the next day, so am hoping to avoid any luggage ping pong due to missed transfers. Thanks all for any guidance / data points you can provide from recent GVA connections!
Airports in Switzerland are incredibly well run, 0 chance of your checked bag not making a connection like that
hardworking21 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by chris63
Airports in Switzerland are incredibly well run, 0 chance of your checked bag not making a connection like that
If they load the bag at JFK, it will make the GVA transfer.
chris63 and hardworking21 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 11:52 pm

If they load the bag at JFK, it will make the GVA transfer.
Oh boy - yeah this is another factor :/ will get to JFK sooner than usual in hopes my bag does make it haha. Thanks all!
Old Apr 17, 2023, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by hardworking21
Oh boy - yeah this is another factor :/ will get to JFK sooner than usual in hopes my bag does make it haha. Thanks all!
JFK is hand-luggage only for me
hardworking21 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 4:01 pm

GVA connection time

Looking at a flight from PMO to JFK in early May- PMO to GVA is on Easyjet with a 75 minute connection for Swissair flight to JFK- will have only carry ons- is this enough time?
Old Dec 8, 2023, 3:12 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
If PMO-GVA is on time and you managed to do online check-in for GVA-JFK, then yes. But obviously, separate tickets carry inherent risk. And if online check-in for GVA-JFK does not work (e.g. because your visa needs to be verified etc.), then it becomes very tight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.