Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Palace at San Fran startins at $126 per night -SPG 50% promo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Book SPG properties worldwide using the 50% promo rate by March 23rd and score some great deals. One example is the Palace in San Francisco at $126 per night. See link below for more info: http://www.starwoodpromos.com/hotel-...ATIONAL_GLO_W1
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:31 am

You can get this hotel for $107 (just did last week) + tax.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Beware though, that rate will get you blood on your sheets, and dirty glassware as mentioned in the master thread for the hotel!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-thread-4.html

towards the end of the page, and followed on page 5.

Just doing my part to promote this "Luxury" Hotel
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I just stayed at the Palace Hotel last week and had no problems. THe room was very clean and the hotel staff was great.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I stayed there last week and had no problems either. The blood stained sheets must have been a special Platinum benefit only available for that night. Should I complain and ask for compensation because I did not receive this special benefit?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I too stayed last week and I'm not going back. Among other things, they charged me $22 for a phone call to an 800 number (admittedly long, but this is ridiculous because there is no way it could have cost the hotel anything). I was told that there was nothing that could be done about the charge on checkout, that the manager would call me, and that the receipt would be emailed. No call from the manager, and no receipt. I called Platinum Concierge to complain, and they opened up in a complaint file, which resulted in an emailed copy of the receipt (complete with $22 charge for the call). No response from the management (again).

I will be staying in SF about every other week this year, but not at the Palace.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 4:35 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by nssfly
Hi all,

Book SPG properties worldwide using the 50% promo rate by March 23rd and score some great deals. One example is the Palace in San Francisco at $126 per night. See link below for more info: http://www.starwoodpromos.com/hotel-...ATIONAL_GLO_W1
That's not such a good deal. During the same period, you can book the Westin San Francisco Market Street at $99 a night and Le Méridien San Francisco for $111 a night. Both hotels are better than the Palace, with its dowdy decor and paper-thin walls.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I too stayed last week and I'm not going back. Among other things, they charged me $22 for a phone call to an 800 number (admittedly long, but this is ridiculous because there is no way it could have cost the hotel anything). I was told that there was nothing that could be done about the charge on checkout, that the manager would call me, and that the receipt would be emailed. No call from the manager, and no receipt. I called Platinum Concierge to complain, and they opened up in a complaint file, which resulted in an emailed copy of the receipt (complete with $22 charge for the call). No response from the management (again).

I will be staying in SF about every other week this year, but not at the Palace.
Savvy consumers know that the quickest and easiest way to deal with such nuisance charges is simply to dispute them with their credit card company. In many cases (such as with Amex), you can even file the dispute online.

At least, this method has always worked very well for me over the years.

Anyhow, this thread really isn't supposed to be a complaint thread (though you can pretty much count on FTers to try to turn any thread into a complaint thread ) -- it's a thread about a promo rate that is OK but not so unusual.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 7:54 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Savvy consumers know that the quickest and easiest way to deal with such nuisance charges is simply to dispute them with their credit card company. ...
At least, this method has always worked very well for me over the years.
I second that!
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
Not to distract anyone from recycling complaints about one of the hundreds of hotel participating in the offer, but these rates are pretty good and have no minimum stay.

Sheraton Wild Horse Pass from $109. Westin Kierland from $129 (many blackouts).

Westin Chicago North Shore for $69 at weekends, availability is wide open.

W Silicon Valley for $79 at weekends, incl. Thursday nights.

Sheraton Ottawa for CND 109, good availability.

4pts Chelsea from $140, didn't check availability, no posted blackouts.

So I'd say trending a little lower than previous offers.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by MikeBOS

But did the hotel disclose there was a charge for calling an 800# ? Often this appears nearby the phone, or in a guest services/directory guide in the room.
If they disclose this, is there really anything to dispute?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's crazy hotels charge for 800#'s, but they are not non-profit organizations either. If they want to charge guests $25.00 a call and pocket the whole thing as profiit, I think they have a right to, as long as they inform their guests. When it doubt, don't use the room phone.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by mikensf74
But did the hotel disclose there was a charge for calling an 800# ? Often this appears nearby the phone, or in a guest services/directory guide in the room.
If they disclose this, is there really anything to dispute?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's crazy hotels charge for 800#'s, but they are not non-profit organizations either. If they want to charge guests $25.00 a call and pocket the whole thing as profiit, I think they have a right to, as long as they inform their guests. When it doubt, don't use the room phone.
After I saw the charge on my bill, I looked around for disclosure, and found it in fine print on a phone card that was under a stack of other stuff. The point is not that they aren't entitled to charge whatever fee they want; it is that if they want my future business (and it is a lot more than $22) they need to remove the charge whether or not it was disclosed. I make phone calls to 800 numbers when I am staying on business (calling into teleconferences) and there are plenty of other Starwoods (and other hotels) that don't have these ridiculous charges. I will not dispute the charge on my credit card, but I will also not stay there again.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Savvy consumers know that the quickest and easiest way to deal with such nuisance charges is simply to dispute them with their credit card company. In many cases (such as with Amex), you can even file the dispute online.
I agree that is the easiest, but I firmly believe that for small dollar amounts like this the credit card company just eats it. For me, half of it is trying to get the company to own up to their mistake, but if the cc company eats it then it just ends there.

Now credit card companies are making outrageous fees, so maybe they are getting their due. Or maybe it is just a vicious circle. I am still trying to figure out where it ends and what matters more, if anything.

BillJ
Old Mar 20, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by wcj1
I agree that is the easiest, but I firmly believe that for small dollar amounts like this the credit card company just eats it. For me, half of it is trying to get the company to own up to their mistake, but if the cc company eats it then it just ends there.

Now credit card companies are making outrageous fees, so maybe they are getting their due. Or maybe it is just a vicious circle. I am still trying to figure out where it ends and what matters more, if anything.

BillJ
Sorry, but the charge was correctly disclosed on the phone card (so it must have been one VERY long call to end up totaling $22), so it would be dishonest and unethical to dispute the charge with the credit card company.

But if the OP doesn't want to do business with that hotel again, that's fine. He should certainly call or email the general manager DIRECTLY and let him know that. The general manager (if he's any good) will likely reverse the charge.

Desk clerks (and I know because I used to be one) are strictly required to follow most rules and can't bend them just because a guest feels the charges are outrageous (even when they are).
Old Mar 20, 2009, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
Sorry, but the charge was correctly disclosed on the phone card (so it must have been one VERY long call to end up totaling $22), so it would be dishonest and unethical to dispute the charge with the credit card company.

But if the OP doesn't want to do business with that hotel again, that's fine. He should certainly call or email the general manager DIRECTLY and let him know that. The general manager (if he's any good) will likely reverse the charge.

Desk clerks (and I know because I used to be one) are strictly required to follow most rules and can't bend them just because a guest feels the charges are outrageous (even when they are).
It was a long call -- 3 hour meeting, and I agree that it would be inappropriate to dispute the charge, but I also have no obligation to stay there again. I attempted to contact the manager twice, once through the desk clerk and once through SPG Customer Service, and got no response either time. I take this as indicative of their interest in solving the problem.

As a side note, at most hotels I stay at the desk clerks are given a fair amount of latitude to adjust these kinds of charges (some examples: Intercontinental LA, any Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis SF, and most Westins and Sheratons). If the Palace chooses not to do this, they do so knowing that it will cause some percentage of their customers to leave dissatisfied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.