Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Houston West

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassador, Star Alliance Gold
Sheraton Houston West

This is a new property, opened November 2008 I think. Any reviews yet? Does anyone know about the area in which it's located?
Old Mar 7, 2009, 1:17 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
This hotel is pretty close to memorial city and Katy- so if you have work with Exxon,BP etc. it would a convenient place to stay. Not as many options as the ones near Galleria, but you will save a lot of time in commute to Katy on I-10.
If you don't have much work at Katy, this may not be good option. Seems to be targetted at the Omni Hotel crowd which was the only decent option nearby.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:00 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
As an IAH'er I drive by the place regularly.

It's located close to Beltway 8 (IAH's 2nd ring road) and to me the design seems a bit strange (typically when I think of Sheratons I envision the "gateway" models found at IAH, LAX, SFO, etc.) as it seems to be just a hotel. Kinda like a big Hampton Inn - long and rectangular - that's maybe 8 or 10 stories tall. That's not to say it's on par with a Hampton (never been inside the hotel) but from an outwards viewpoint, that's what I see.

I suspect the location was chosen to be close the CameronCooper and GE Oil and Gas (both companies have significant offices very close to the location) as well as providing service to the area north of the Katy Freeway (I-10).

I do not think this would be the best option for those who want to access Memorial City Mall (or at least when the new Westin comes online there) but rather the advantage is for those who need to work/stay north of the Katy freeway as you don't have fight to get across it. Moreover you've got good access to the Northwest quadrant of the Beltway from the hotel and I can't think of another SPG property that can offer that, save the new element around 249.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassador, Star Alliance Gold
Great! Thanks very much to both of you. Much appreciated.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP - CK, DL PM, *Wood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Recent Stays?

Any recent stay reports? Looking at staying here in the next couple of weeks. Club lounge includes wine/beer?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
I stayed here a couple of weeks ago. Pretty bland, but new and great beds. The elevator opens directly into the club room, which was closed Friday-Sunday, but offered fruit and soft drinks/ bottled water 24/7.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Any updates on this property?

Can the moderators please put this property thread as part of the sticky?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
I just recently had a 3 night stay at this property while in town for work. The hotel appears relatively new and fresh. I was upgraded to the club floor which had decent offerings in both the morning and evening. For breakfast, there was eggs, bacon, sausages, oatmeal, fresh fruit, yogurt, breads etc. In the evening, there was one hot option (one night it was calamari), nachos/guacamole, etc along with free beer/wine which seems to be a rarity in club lounges in north America these days. There was also a self serve fridge with juices, pop and water along with snacks such as Miss Vickie's chips. There is also lots to eat close by with the City Centre complex just down the road.

Overall I would rate this an above average Sheraton and I would stay here again next time I'm in Houston.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree with above post. Good hotel. Club Lounge is nice but small. You walk out of the elevator and pass right through it to get to the hallway.

Often has great rates over the weekends (and spghotescapes). One of the newer types of mid-sized Sheratons. No suites. Green Choice: Yes

One thing to beware of: There is a huge Baseball USA facility nearby, and during baseball season the hotel is often sold out on the weekends to families attending sessions and games there. The place can be loaded with teens and kids running all over the place. I feel the hotel often oversells traditional rooms and places the oversells up on the Club Floor (I've talked to several parents in the Club Lounge that stated they got a surprise upgrade to the Club Floor at check-in). Expect high noise levels in hallways during such times. Parents are often worse than the kids...shouting down the halls at their kids and such.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.