Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Points said deducted on reservation different from reality

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

I recently booked a one-night stay for 12,000 points. I only had just over 12,000 in my account, leaving me with a very small balance (~200).

I noticed just now the hotel has increased to 16,000 for my night, even though other nights are still listed at 12,000.

I just looked at my on-line confirmation and it says I redeemed 16,000! (I'm absolutely sure it said 12,000 right after I made the reservation, but I did not print it out at the time). I did not redeem 16,000, since I didn't even have 16,000, but I'm worried now that they will take out any future points I earn to make up the difference between 12 and 16??
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I'm guessing that this hotel changed categories. If so, this is covered in the category change thread. See the wiki.

Also, if you cancel the reservation, you'll get 12K pts back, not 16K pts.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Thank you, that post #118 is exactly what happened to me, so I'm fine with it now.

Edit: Actually, that may not be it after all, because the Category did not change. It's the same category, within a seasonal range of 12,000-16,000 - it would mean they changed their "seasons" after I booked, lucky me.

Anyway, I don't really care as long as they don't try to take the extra 4,000, which I'm sure they will not.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Apr 2, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I have two reservations for a hotel in May, one BRG and one points. This was a hotel that had its category lowered and went from 20,000 to 12,000. It was only a week ago that I booked the points reservation and used my 25% off award from a recent promotion, so only 9,000 per night (27,000 points total). I just looked to see if they had any C&P availability and noticed that the points had now moved up to 16,000 for the same nights. It appears they decided sometime this week to extend the high season back to mid-May. When I look at my online reservation, it now shows "Total Starpoints Redeemed: 48,000". No additional points were removed from my account.

While I know this is a technical bug in their system, I think it is interesting that a property would change their high season inclusions this close to that designation (and this close to them dropping a category). I would almost be curious if this hotel (and other hotels in similar situations) are attempting to recoup some lost points revenue from the category change. It is interesting.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by jibi
used my 25% off award from a recent promotion.
what promo was it, may I ask? I think I missed something...
Old Apr 3, 2015, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Likely the targeted promo that SPG reserved for its preferred customers. I wasn't one of them.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ail-offer.html
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Likely the targeted promo that SPG reserved for its preferred customers. I wasn't one of them.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ail-offer.html
Correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.