Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

'Make a Green Choice' (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping for 250/500 Starpoints or $5 credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Receive Starpoints or credit for declining housekeeping.

See the Starwood Green Choice Program Description & FAQ for details.

Green Choice options, awarded at check out for each night you decline housekeeping services (except day of departure) :
North America & Europe/Middle East
500 Starpoints, at participating Sheraton, Westin, Luxury Collection, Le Méridien, St. Regis and W locations.
250 Starpoints at participating Aloft, Element and Four Points by Sheraton locations.
Or $5 USD (amount may change based on location/region) voucher at participating food and beverage outlets within the hotel.
Latin America
Participating hotels provide a 250 Starpoint option or $5 Food & Beverage option only
Asia Pacific
Participating hotels provide a 250 Starpoint option only.

The maximum number of Green Choice nights allowed is determined by each hotel, but is normally 3 consecutive nights. For longer stays, after housekeeping on the 4th night, you can usually then have another 3 consecutive Green Choice nights.

Flyertalk wiki of participating and non-participating Green Choice properties :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1503438-post-properties-participate-make-green-choice-program.html#post21451970
Print Wikipost

'Make a Green Choice' (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping for 250/500 Starpoints or $5 credit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008, 6:30 pm

Could I also sign up for the 500 bonus Starpoints if I don't have a shower each day?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Sounds like a winner to me
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I reported on the Sheraton Kauai thread that they offered 1 free breakfast buffet per day if the maid didn't service the room.
I LOVE the 500 points idea. Count me in. But this breakfast option also seems like a very appealing idea.

Lurkers, are you out there, lurking?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are we sure this is not just for busy periods or holidays when the hotel is understaffed? Starwood Lurker...any details on this program?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
You do realize that by taking advantage of these offers, we're going to put some people out of work.

dh
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:16 pm
CEB

Programs: UA 1k MM, HH D, Starwood PT, Alaska MVP
Smile

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Could I also sign up for the 500 bonus Starpoints if I don't have a shower each day?
Hopefully only if we promise not to leave the room! Wouldn't want to be stuck on the elevator with me after a couple of days! Phew.

Of course, I suppose the other alternative would be that they would then have to clean the pool more frequently!

Last edited by CEB; Dec 3, 2008 at 10:17 pm Reason: Ad Icon
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat Million Miles, United,Delta, USAir,Swiss
I was wrong for so many years...

I realize that I have been living under false pretenses...I like to go to upscale hotels and tip the maid $ 5.-- so I get extra pillows and more cofee bags.

I realize that I can make $ 5.-- a day by sleeping in dirty bed linen... I 3,000 days I could save enough to buy a Swiss first class ticket LAX-ZRH-LAX ...
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:43 pm

love the idea! I don't need daily housekeeping... getting some points would be a nice bonus.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:15 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lalala
Dang, I'm all over this. I always rehang towels and clean up after myself. With the duvets on the beds, its so easy to put the room back together after a night.
Same here! I also hang back the towels, clean up after self, re-sort the room after a night, and generally don't "need" the housekeeping.

I see C's point re: room maintenance, so perhaps there's a compromise of some kind, or a maximum number of nights one would be allowed to do this, etc.

This would be awesome. I hope Starwood gives this a go!
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:18 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Yeah, but we might also save the earth, said the hotel management. The former Le Meridien Grand Pacific Tokyo offers 2000 JPY/night for the same thing but you can only do this 2 nights in a row.

You do realize that by taking advantage of these offers, we're going to put some people out of work.

dh

Last edited by jimmychang; Dec 4, 2008 at 3:10 am
Old Dec 4, 2008, 3:02 am

Does this practice mean that housekeeping staff are paid on an hourly basis? If not, how can management realize the cost savings? Over time, they may be able to forecast the # of guests opting into this option and adjust their staffing level accordingly. However, on a day-to-day basis, they cannot hire and fire staff.

It won't be good for housekeepers if they report to work and are told that, due to the overwhelming # of people participating in this, they have to go home after cleaning one room for the day. Does anyone know how the scheduling and staffing would work under this scheme? Do housekeepers work on a standby basis and not get a fixed schedule until the start of each work day?
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta Airlines, Sheraton, Hilton
Sheraton in Japan

I was in Tokyo for awhile this year. The Sheraton offered $5 a day for not having the room cleaned. You could do it two days in a row and then they wanted to clean. I had to spend it in the hotel, but the free money was great.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
I would probably take advantage of it from time to time and it is certainly nice to have the option at least.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
You do realize that by taking advantage of these offers, we're going to put some people out of work. dh
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Does this practice mean that housekeeping staff are paid on an hourly basis? If not, how can management realize the cost savings? Over time, they may be able to forecast the # of guests opting into this option and adjust their staffing level accordingly. However, on a day-to-day basis, they cannot hire and fire staff.

It won't be good for housekeepers if they report to work and are told that, due to the overwhelming # of people participating in this, they have to go home after cleaning one room for the day. Does anyone know how the scheduling and staffing would work under this scheme? Do housekeepers work on a standby basis and not get a fixed schedule until the start of each work day?
Two good points here--the first a matter of principle, the second of the practical implications of this policy. For the first, and at the risk of being cold-hearted about this, I'd say that you don't keep people on the payroll if there's not work for them to do--if in fact that would be the implications of this policy. Maybe the savings would be sufficient just by virtue of not replacing toiletries, towels, etc., and the energy savings of not vacuuming, so that staffing would not be affected.

The second point raises the question of whether in fact staff cuts would become a reality. I don't know how hotels deal with staffing when they are not full, but assume that the staff shows up for work regardless. Perhaps the same would apply if a program such as this caught on. If they did cut staff in response to such a program, we might run into situations where the hotel was late or inadequate in providing housekeeping due to underestimating the number of rooms needing cleaning on a given day. Which would lead to rants on FT, bringing the matter full circle.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Two good points here--the first a matter of principle, the second of the practical implications of this policy. For the first, and at the risk of being cold-hearted about this, I'd say that you don't keep people on the payroll if there's not work for them to do--if in fact that would be the implications of this policy. Maybe the savings would be sufficient just by virtue of not replacing toiletries, towels, etc., and the energy savings of not vacuuming, so that staffing would not be affected.
... or maybe it will allow the hotels to not rush their staff through the rooms it cleans, eliminating errors and allowing better maintenance of the rooms, public areas, etc. I'm guessing there is a huge turnover in housekeeping staff and any reduction in staff needs helps the hotel focus on training, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.