Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2005, 12:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tak
I didn't notice the noise at either Westin or SGS.
I didnt notice the noise either at the SGS and WGS, but yes there were some noise from the boats at the ROS.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 12:24 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
westin

i said 4 times at the westin and i never heard any noise in my suites .

i had a normal room one time, and this room was not noisy too.

dp
Old Aug 1, 2005, 9:46 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I have stayed at the Westin a lot over the last couple of years and never heard any noise. The lowest floor I have been on was the 16th which isnt the lowest they have so maybe on the 8th floor you could get "some" noise but even in the restauarant (on the 7th floor which is the lobby level) that borders Sukhumvit I havent heard anything and I usually dine by the windows there. I suppose if you are on the lower floors by on the side of the hotel that is nearest the skytrain you could get some noise from that but it is relatively quiet compared to the train in chicago for example.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

May be just me. I was on the 28th floor last time and had a room in the back-half (not facing Sukhumvit) and could still hear cars/motorcyles from the street. Just the occasional noise when someone revs their engine for one reason or another, but enough to be annoying.

The Royal Orchid had no discernible street or river noise beyond 8pm or so, and the Sheraton (past floor 20) is also fine.

Again, perhaps just me. The staff certainly couldn't hear anything even though I insisted they move me from the 18th floor to a quieter area.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Plat Marriott
BKK Stay

I would defintely stay at least one night in the SGS. As mentioned before, it is directly across the street from the Westin and will only cost you about $30.00 more per night. Not a bad way to pick up an additional stay.

I am a lowly gold and never received more than a "SPG Floor" upgrade but have been treated well by both hotels. The SGS has a great pool, which you can use even if your staying at the Westin.

Speaking of LOS, it appears that the Sheraton Resort in Pattaya is open for business today. Has anyone seen it yet? I might have to give that a try in January.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA, Delta, SPG, MAR
Originally Posted by hzg2
I am planning on staying in BKK for 3 nights (holiday) but will use points to pay for stay. I was planning on using 21K points for the Luxury Collection Sheraton but I could stay for 11K points in the Sheraton next to the river or the Westin.

I am OK using my points for a great hotel but would not want to waste the points if not worth it. Any ideas?

Thanks
Had a great experience with the Westin. The hotel and service was great. This was a point stay and I was upgraded to SPG floor. Went over to the Sheraton across the street for dinner and didnt see anything there worth the almost 100% point difference for my stay...
Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:00 pm

Thanks everybody for the advise! I looks like the Westin is the way to go.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:49 am

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AC Elite, Avis Prreferred Select
BKK - Looking for Sheraton property close to airport

I am going to Thailand on vacation for a few weeks. I plan to travel around while there, but am looking for a property fairly close to the airport to use for my first night there. I am arriving at 11:30pm and plan to book something on points for my first night...

Any ideas as to my best choice? Do they offer shuttle service to the airport? I figued you guys would know!
Old Oct 21, 2005, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cdn_traveller
I am going to Thailand on vacation for a few weeks. I plan to travel around while there, but am looking for a property fairly close to the airport to use for my first night there. I am arriving at 11:30pm and plan to book something on points for my first night...

Any ideas as to my best choice? Do they offer shuttle service to the airport? I figued you guys would know!
There is not an SPG property near the BKK airport- the closest would be the Westin Grand/Sheraton Grande Sukhumkit (they are across the street from each other) but this is not that close (about 30 minute taxi ride at 1130 pm- about 45-60 minutes during the day). A taxi should cost less than 10 USD including expressway tolls.
If you are looking for options at/near the airport there are two viable ones:
1) The Bangkok airport hotel which is connected by skybridge to the airport- you can usually get a good price by booking at asiahotels.com (should cost around USD 145 incl tax/bfast maximum)
2) The Sofitel Central Plaza which is about a 10-20 minute taxi ride depending on traffic from the airport- this is where most of the flight crews stay. Booking at advance at sofitel.com you should be able to get a rate around 85 USD+++. This is where I frequently stay for short transit visits as you have described- I really like the staff here although the hotel is a bit dated (not too much).
Old Oct 21, 2005, 8:56 am
Suspended

Having lived in BKK, I can tell you it will take you 15-20 minutes at that time of day to get from the Airport to the Sheraton or Westin. Total cost shoud be around $5 usd. 200 baht max.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:36 am

I've stayed at the Royal Orchid. I would highly suggest that property.

M8
Old Nov 2, 2005, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Which Starwood in BKK ?

Will be in BKK for 2 nights Feb 17-19. Need recommendations. Thanks all.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 12:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, AA Plt, Hyatt Plt
sheraton grande sukhumvit. middle of the action. if you like that.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 1:49 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I think hotels at BKK are one of the most popular topics here.
Try to use search function using Bangkok or BKK.
I am sure you can find answers.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 2:04 pm
dd

i usually go for the westin as it is exactly the same location as the sheraton, but less points and i have had better upgrade successes for a suite... if you are paying, either one is good, but for 3k points on a weekend and 4k on a weekday, the westin is a bargain!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.