Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2005, 3:52 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I stayed at all 3 Bangkok properties last week. As a Gold, I was "upgraded" to Preferred floors each time. The room I'd at the Sheraton Sukhumvit was quite big with a walk-in wardrobe.

I also had use of a butler (complimentary laundry (3 pieces), shoeshine, etc) at the Sheraton. If that matters, the Sheraton gave me 4 bottles of free water each day, not 2 bottles as the other properties...

The service is better at the Sheraton, I was actually led up to the room. Decor is most modern at the Westin (as expected). The Royal Orchid is good for tourist stuff... I haven't tried the massage spa at all 3 properties, only the Sheraton Sukhumvit. It's a very nice spa, but I don't think they get many male clients there...

Breakfast are very close, but Sheraton Sukhumvit come out slightly ahead as there is a slightly bigger range.

If it's the Sheraton Sukhumvit versus the Westin, I'll take the Sheraton.
Old May 4, 2005, 9:14 am

Bangkok Royal Orchid or Westin?

I was wondering whether anyone can give recommendations on which hotel to stay at in BKK - Royal Orchid or the Westin? It seems the Sheraton SUK gets better review here, but that would be 7,000 points per night vs. 4,000 for the other two.
Old May 4, 2005, 9:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Marriott, Starwood, ThaiAir Gold
Originally Posted by speedytimmy
I was wondering whether anyone can give recommendations on which hotel to stay at in BKK - Royal Orchid or the Westin? It seems the Sheraton SUK gets better review here, but that would be 7,000 points per night vs. 4,000 for the other two.
The westin for sure! The Royal Orchid is pretty ordinary, however the breakfast buffet is quite nice.
Old May 4, 2005, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Hmmm, there's quite a lot of discussion on this topic on existing threads (search term "Bangkok" will pull them up).

Part of the answer depends on where you want to stay in Bangkok (on the river vs. in the thick of the urban jungle), as well as on the qualities of the hotel itself. If you have a long enough stay planned, you might consider staying a few nights at EACH hotel; it will give you more variety. @:-)
Old May 4, 2005, 11:06 am

I like both, in fact all three! (Westin, SGS and the RO).

Each has its set of advantages:

RO: next to the river, which is interesting. Hotel has more of a resort feel than the other two IMO. Beware that some suites and rooms are not upgraded, and can therefore be much less impressive than the upgraded rooms. River boat transportation makes it easy to get to various tourist sights located along the riverfront.

Nice club lounge.

Westin: Good urban location close to shopping, food, etc. Close to Skytrain station, which makes it a plus. Excellent Platinum suite upgrades! Nicely remodeled rooms. Of the three hotels, this one always seems the quietest in the public areas (i.e. lobby, restaurant, etc.) to me.

Nice club lounge.

SGS: Across the street from the Westin, so same locational benefits. Last time was upgraded to Presidential suite (with 1 night free due to inoperative shower)! When staying at this suite, check in takes place upstairs in the suite.

No lounge, but for Plat members free breakfast offered in the lobby lounge/poolside and free drinks/snack in the lobby lounge. I like watching the Skytrains whiz by the lobby lounge--looks very Bladerunner-ish.

Decisions, decisions!
Old May 4, 2005, 12:16 pm

I'll actually be in BKK twice in the space of a week or two so might indeed try both. I'm planning to do a triathlon in Western Australia (near Perth) and then another in Phuket the following week. The chepeast (and most sensible) flight routing seems to be BOS-JFK-BKK-HKT and getting a separate ticket BKK-PER and back. Would be first time in BKK and first stay would essentially be to rest after flight from US.

Does anyone know how the pools compare? Could you actually get in a decent lap swim?
Old May 4, 2005, 5:45 pm

I'll actually be in BKK twice in the space of a week or two so might indeed try both. I'm planning to do a triathlon in Western Australia (near Perth) and then another in Phuket the following week. The chepeast (and most sensible) flight routing seems to be BOS-JFK-BKK-HKT and getting a separate ticket BKK-PER and back. Would be first time in BKK and first stay would essentially be to rest after flight from US.

Does anyone know how the pools compare? Could you actually get in a decent lap swim?
SRO has 2 pools-- one more freeform; the other more rectangular.

SGS has a meandering pool that does not lend itself well to laps.

Westin IIRC has a more rectangular (elongated hexagon) pool.
Old May 5, 2005, 12:31 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Westin has my vote. Great service and free internet at the lobby!
Old May 10, 2005, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I'm presently at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumivit. Upgraded to a "12" suite. In the past I have always had the suite at the end of the hall. This is really two regular connecting rooms with one room converted into a living room.

I prefer the other suite type better (sorry, I'm too lazy right now to walk down the hall to see the room number), but this does have two complete separate bathrooms.

The biggest change since my last stay is that wireless "G" internet is now available on all of the guest floors, and for suites and deluxe rooms, there is no charge. Nice.

Basil restaurant is closed until May 15th for remodeling.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:43 pm

Question HELP!!! What location in Bangkok?

Hi everyone, I need advice from some of our in-house experts.

My wife and I are going to Thailand in January of 2006. We will be spending 8 nights in Phuket but plan on doing at least 3 nights/4 days in Bangkok at the end of our vacation.

During this time my wife’s plan is to shop, shop and then shop a little more. Based on every ones experience, what SPG property would allow us the best chances to shop, do a little sight seeing and hit some restaurants?

One last question, we will be getting in @ 11:30 pm on a Thursday and getting a flight out the next day for Phuket. What SPG location would be closest to the airport?

Thank you very much in advance for all assistance and any advice you can give me.

Regards and Happy Travels!
Old Jul 26, 2005, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
You have three choices in BKK, the Royal Orchid Sheraton on the river, the Sheraton Grande Luxury Collection and the Westin both facing each other on Sukhumvit.
They all have great Platinum recognition, as I have always been upgraded to Suites in all three properties.
My personal favorite is the Westin. I like the modern decor and the great breakfast at the Executive lounge. It's more my taste altogether. The Luxury Collection is fine but a little stuffy for my liking and probably more expensive as well. Location is great, next to the Skytrain and MTR stations which will take you to the great shopping areas (Erewan etc...)
The Royal Orchid enjoys beautiful view of the river but is a little far from the shopping area and you have to rely on taxis to travel. However it's next door to the River City antique shopping mall and the Oriental hotel, with great dining opportunities.

Hope it helps. Enjoy
Old Jul 27, 2005, 5:41 am

Thank you very much for the advice! I also did a search before my post and found some good information. With the fluid situation in Thailand, getting up to the date info like yours really helps.
Thank you again! ^
Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:20 am

Question Does any one else have any recent experiences @ SPG in BKK?

Does any one else have any recent experiences @ SPG in BKK?
Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:15 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Agree with the Westin..

..I too have stayed in all 3, the Westin has a great club lounge, is located right beside the skytrain and if you search you can probably get it for under $100/night. The GS Sheraton is really nice, but I agree its a little stuffy, and the Royal Orchid looks like any Holiday Inn anywhere (lots of package tourists)..but hey its bangkok you cant go wrong...its a great city.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by HomerJ
..I too have stayed in all 3, the Westin has a great club lounge, is located right beside the skytrain and if you search you can probably get it for under $100/night. The GS Sheraton is really nice, but I agree its a little stuffy, and the Royal Orchid looks like any Holiday Inn anywhere (lots of package tourists)..but hey its bangkok you cant go wrong...its a great city.
Hey, thank you very much. It looks like the Westin may be the way to go. Were you able to get an UG?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.