Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left SPG 1 Apr 2015 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ready2Go
This property has once again begun offering double occupancy rooms for standard SPG Points redemption availability.

See Hotels limiting Free Night Awards to single-occupancy rooms only
Print Wikipost

GONE : Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left SPG 1 Apr 2015 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
You have to be a squeeky wheel here

I just returned from a trip to Europe with 2 nights at the Pulitzer and overall I had a pleasant time.

I was not expecting special treatment especially since occupancy was high during the two nights of my stay (there was a concert on a stage built into the canal directly outside the hotel, which was host to the stars and VIPS for the concert). SPG iPhone app said before my flight that I had been upgraded to an Executive Room that INCLUDED breakfast.

Upon check-in, I was told NO BREAKFAST, but everything else was pleasant and no trouble checking in at 9AM.

Room was depressing, with view of interior courtyard. Bathroom was tiny.

After napping, I went downstairs and asked if the room really was an upgrade/executive. They said it was, but admitted it wasn't their best. I asked if I could at least have a canal view. The desk agent quickly suggested a "downgrade" to a room on a higher floor with view of canal opposite side of hotel entry. She apologized that it was not suggested when I checked in. I took it.

I was much happier with the ability to see the canal and open widows to get some fresh air. Both rooms had a bottle of water, waffle and many amenities. Wifi was pricy at 20 EUR.

Considering the many subpar acommodations in Amsterdam, this hotes does qualify as a Luxury Collection Property. Lot's of stairs and pathways to get to different parts of the hotel, but I found it adding character and in line with architecture in Amsterdam.

Checkout was a suprise of 50 EURO charge for "early check-in" which I told the agent I had not been advised of, nor thought that is how they treat Platinums who "downgraded" rooms and didn't raise a stink about the reservation saying breakfast was included when it wasn't. He quickly removed the 50 EUR fee and thanked me for my visit.

Next time I'll reconsider the airport Sheraton (no schlepping bags into the city, excellent upgrades, no problems on early check-in, very good club lounge w/ breakfast).

Starwood could easily have turned this "so so" stay into a great one with some honesty about breakfast.

Old Aug 31, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Great view. No points+miles for cat 5 SPG props. Oh well. Will post the results in a few weeks. In the meantime, staying at the worst 4 star hotel ever while on post in Kyiv--80 deg in the AC'd room, spotty internet, lousy food---cannot wait to get to Holland.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 1:57 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
...Starwood could easily have turned this "so so" stay into a great one with some honesty about breakfast...
Can you forward me the message you received that said that breakfast was included? Thanks.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Can you forward me the message you received that said that breakfast was included? Thanks.
The issue here is that the standard Pulitzer upgrade is to an Exec room - if you read their standard room blurbs the Exec rooms come with breakfast. If you get pre-upgraded and your reservation changes on SPG.COM you see the details of the Exec room (including the line about breakfast included). The Pulitzer policy is that you pay for breakfast if you get upgraded to an Exec room so they point this out when you check in (including writing it on the key wallet).

I know there's been some discussion on here in the past about whether the terms of the programme mean that you should get all the benefits of the upgraded room (which from memory the conclusion is that you should) but there is also the discussion that pushing on this would mean that a hotel would be less likely to upgrade or would exclude that room type from the upgrade possibilities.

I stay at the Pulitzer almost every week and invariably get upgraded to an Exec or better room and always get reminded that breakfast isn't included (except when the GM invites me to breakfast with him ). Never pushed it as I invariably don't have breakfast at the hotel as I grab something on the way into the office.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:40 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by ant_west
The issue here is that the standard Pulitzer upgrade is to an Exec room - if you read their standard room blurbs the Exec rooms come with breakfast. If you get pre-upgraded and your reservation changes on SPG.COM you see the details of the Exec room (including the line about breakfast included). The Pulitzer policy is that you pay for breakfast if you get upgraded to an Exec room so they point this out when you check in (including writing it on the key wallet).

I know there's been some discussion on here in the past about whether the terms of the programme mean that you should get all the benefits of the upgraded room (which from memory the conclusion is that you should) but there is also the discussion that pushing on this would mean that a hotel would be less likely to upgrade or would exclude that room type from the upgrade possibilities.

I stay at the Pulitzer almost every week and invariably get upgraded to an Exec or better room and always get reminded that breakfast isn't included (except when the GM invites me to breakfast with him ). Never pushed it as I invariably don't have breakfast at the hotel as I grab something on the way into the office.
I'm totally aware of the issue. I just need an example that I can forward to SPG so they render an opinion on it...at least as far as it applies in this particular instance.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
YGM!
Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:27 pm

I heard back from the reservations manager. For the room booked on SPG points, the upgrade from Deluxe room to Exec canal view room including buffet breakfast is 75 €/night. We went for it and are looking forward to our stay at the Pulitzer. Any recommendations that would make the stay more enjoyable would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dcislander
I heard back from the reservations manager. For the room booked on SPG points, the upgrade from Deluxe room to Exec canal view room including buffet breakfast is 75 €/night. We went for it and are looking forward to our stay at the Pulitzer. Any recommendations that would make the stay more enjoyable would be much appreciated.
That's a pretty good deal, as their breakfast for 2 is as much as the upgrade, and it confirms breakfast, because if you had been upgraded on status to brekkie.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Dcislander
Any recommendations that would make the stay more enjoyable would be much appreciated.
If you've got a canal view, ask for a room on the Keizersgracht side of the hotel rather than the Prinsengracht. It is much quieter on that side. If you end up on the Prinsengracht side if you get a room below the 5th floor I find can be a bit noisy up to about 11 o'clock in the evening. The rooms are also more "interesting" on the Keizersgracht side - that is where all the multi-level rooms etc are. On the Prinsengracht side they tend to be fairly "regular" rooms.

The history of the hotel is that the Prinsengracht houses used to be warehouses so they have been renovated with exposed brickwork and wooden floors (^) whereas the Keizersgracht side was merchant houses so more grand and have been renovated with carpet as flooring. It also means that the Keizersgracht side generally have higher ceilings etc. From my experience they tend to be bigger rooms on the K-gracht side.

[GEEK MODE]There are other little oddities between the 2 sides; K-gracht side electrical installation meant that all power in the room was cut off unless you had a key-card (or other bit of paper) in the little slot by the door. Whilst typical for hotels, means that the Bose clock-radio in each room needed to be reset every time as on the same circuit. The P-gracht side doesn't have the slot. Think they may have fixed it on the K-gracht side now though so the clock-radio is on a separate circuit....[/GEEK MODE]
Old Sep 10, 2009, 3:52 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
@ant_west: very interesting! Thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Starwood Plat, AC Elite, Delta Million Miler, Flying Colonel
I stayed at the Pulitzer over last weekend and was upgraded as a Plat (breakfast excluded). It had been a couple of years since my last stay as my stays are usually for 10+ days and I prefer the quiet neighborhood of the Hilton. Most family, friends and colleagues like the Pulitzer when visiting AMS for the first time. The Pulitzer is very unique and I have found that most rooms have different layouts and some have an interior view. If you have large luggage let the bellman deliver it to your room as the hotel has many levels and staircases! My only complaint is the poor lighting in the main bathroom.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 9:31 am

Requested a canal exec on the Keizersgracht side of the hotel. Thanks all for your help. I'll post how it goes.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 7:30 pm

Back from Amsterdam and wanted to post a quick review. First, as far as the chain hotels go the Pulitzer is great--super location, much charm, and convenient. I do not want to harp on the negatives because we really did enjoy our stay, so here's the scoop.

The Stay:
We booked on SPG points and upgraded to an Exec Canal view for 75E a night. Before our trip we received an email offer to upgrade for 50E but that did not include breakfast--the 75E option did. Check in was easy, stayed in room 282 on the Keizersgracht side of the hotel ( a great recommendation as this is the quieter canal--less traffic). One thing I would do differently is immediately request a room on an upper floor. Being on the 2nd floor, we got a lot of banging and rumbling from outside.

Concierge:
Before arriving I had emailed with the Concierge about having flowers for my wife's birthday waiting in the room on arrival, it was confirmed but never done. Luckily the concierge on duty when I checked in arranged for a early delivery the next morning, but it was not something I wanted to deal with at 7am--esp in light of the confirmation email--annoying. We were also told that there would be a restaurant reservation itinerary waiting, but there was not. Only 2 of the 3 dinners had been booked and no one told us otherwise. Again, not the end of the world but annoying. The concierge on duty fixed the issue for us. They were helpful throughout. We bought museum tix here too, as we could charge it to the room and avoid lines there.

Meals:
B'fast at Pulitzer as good--usual American style buffet: breads and pastries, fruits, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, mushrooms, pancakes... They offer coffee, but if you ask you can get a cappuccino or other drink with no added expense. I think that breakfast cost around 30E pp if you were to pay. If I were not on a Bfast included plan, there was no way I would have paid 60E for the breakfast. There are a TON of very cool cafes and restaurants within a block or two where you can get a great meal. We at Le Garage (around 180E with wine, 2 salad, 2 entrees, 1 desert) which was very good, Toscanini--great Italian, about 80E with one glass wine, 2 salads, 2 pastas, 1 entree, 2 desserts, and Blue Pepper--great Indonesian Fusion, not 100% authentic but great food. If you want an all out Indo meal there are other super places, but if you want great food with style in an intimate atmosphere this is it.

The room:
The room looked over the Keizersgracht side canal. It was nice, a decent size (esp for A'dam), and in good shape. The baths are small and the hairdryers stored in the bedroom desk. My wife needed a power converter and the bellhop brought the big daddy converter pro within minutes, which we then used for the whole stay. The bed was cushy and comfortable. In the AMs there was a constant banging from under the hotel. We think that it was coming from the basement, but it rattled though the walls. Another reason to request a higher floor. The amenities left a lot to be desired. Soap, shampoo conditioner. That was it. Also, not only were they not replenished, but on a few occasions the maid took the ones we had away. Nothing worse than leaving the room at 7am looking for soap.

The upgrade:
Some argue that 70E is a lot to pay for an upgrade, and they may be right, but the configuration of the hotel is very unique. Many interior rooms do not face the gardens (which are pleasant) but back up to interior light shafts with elevator and hallway views. I do not know what level room that is, but for us (esp on an SPG stay) it was worth the $$ to guarantee against that happening.

Inside:
The hotel is quite nice inside. Some people were put off by the maze like interior (after all it is carved out of 25 old houses) but we really enjoyed exploring inside. It completely confused many of the old folks we saw. There are a lot of stairs, a lot of elevators, a lot of ramps leading to mid-floors. Not the typical hotel with straight halls.
The bar looked nice, but we could not justify hanging in the hotel when surrounded by such an amazing city. The gardens are very pleasant to sit in or walk through, though a few days they were overrun by smokers since it is a smoke free hotel.

Services:
We paid for the wireless internet (70E for 5 nights--ouch) because it had to be done for work. Moderately fast, but sometimes spotty. Made one local call for 20 minutes and it was 36E. Our fault--should have known better. We took the hotel boat "The Tourist" on a canal cruise. 38E a person and well worth it. It was worth it for us to be on the more intimate boat than one of the greyhound-style canal tour boats. Bought a bottle of wine on board for 20E.

Summary:
Overall we really enjoyed our stay. The cons of poor amenities and the miscommunications from the concierge were definitely problems. For a Lux Collection hotel, I wish they would work out those issues. But the pros were great--a location that cannot be beat, and a very interesting and unique set of buildings.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 2:44 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, MVP Gold 75K, HH Gold
Other than the advice to keep children away from steep stairs, I've not found many comments related to staying here with kids. I'm considering a trip with 2 small ones. Any thoughts on the best kind of room to pursue for a couple with toddlers?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
I stayed here for one night last week. I was able to check-in at 10:30 am without any problem and was upgraded to a Canal View room. I was worried that it would be noisy facing the canal in front of the hotel, but it was not.

I found the bed very comfortable and the room had all the amenities one would expect. One thing that surprised me was that the hotel does not have turn down service. The Sheraton Amsterdam does so you would think a luxury collection hotel would too!

Overall, the location was great for me and I had a good stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.