Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left SPG 1 Apr 2015 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ready2Go
This property has once again begun offering double occupancy rooms for standard SPG Points redemption availability.

See Hotels limiting Free Night Awards to single-occupancy rooms only
Print Wikipost

GONE : Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left SPG 1 Apr 2015 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by GMAmsterdam
Since March 1 we include breakast and free internet for all Platinums at the Pulitzer as well. ^

Welcome to Amsterdam

Kurt Renold
Area Manager The Netherlands
I just booked a stay at your Pulitzer hotel thanks to that news! ^
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Terrific Stay

We had a great stay at this hotel towards the end of March. We had 2 separate stays booked - the first for one night and the second for 2 nights...for two nights in between, we made a quick trip to Brussels and stayed there for two nights at the LM Brussels. Overall, we had a great experience and cannot wait to return!

We landed for our first stay fairly early (around 9am) - I had been in touch with the hotel early on to check about early check-in and was advised that they would try their best to ensure a room. They also mentioned that they would charge a fee of 50 Euro if the room were to be ready before 9am (which I was fine with). The hotel had pre-upgraded us to an Exec Canal room ^^ (the standard Plat upgrade) but that room was not ready upon check in. We were given a choice of waiting for a couple of hours in order to check in to the upgraded room or check in to a regular room...given that we had just come off a 9hour flight, we decided to check in to the regular room. The room was comfortable but quite small - we were too tired in any case and just spent the day resting.

We checked out the next day to go to Brussels and came back two days later to check in. The hotel had pre-upgraded us once more and gave us a choice between a Junior suite and an Exec Canal view room. The Junior suite was very quaint and we loved it, but unfortunately the beams were a little too low for us (we are both 6 ft. tall). We decided to take the Exec Canal view room which was terrific - spacious, luxurious with a fantastic view on the Prinsengracht side (See pics below). We had no issues with noise as reported in some earlier posts.

The hotel treats Plat guests very well - the Plat rooms are definitely a great upgrade from the regular room (MUCH more spacious and a much better view). The free breakfast provided to Plats is a nice touch - the buffet spread was great, and comes with made-to-order omelets which were superb. The internet connection was fast and worked without any problems - when we checked out, they had added the breakfast and the internet bills to our folio by mistake but readily removed them on being reminded that I was a Plat guest...the breakfast (30 Eur each) and the internet (20Eur for each device - we connected on our iphone and laptop) was nearly 200 Euro over 2 nights...definitely a great value for being Platinum! ^^. Each room also has 2 bottles of complimentary bottled water.

The hotel itself is simply gorgeous- very traditional with a great location right in the heart of the Jordaan neighborhood. The rooms are fairly luxuriously appointed and were on par with other luxury properties we have stayed at (for some strange reason, the toilet paper resembled those found at airports - hope they replace it with paper of better quality). The beds at the Pulitzer have to be hands down the best beds we have ever slept in...we love the Westin and W beds but these beds blew all those out of the water. We had a really tough time waking up each morning!

The hotel has a maze like interior which we had fun exploring. There are multiple wings and stairs but there are ample signs everywhere. Some of the steps were quite steep (see pics below) but we used the elevators for the most part. Overall, it never really felt like we were at a chain hotel...we felt more like being inside a house (and I mean this in a positive sense) - having access to such unique properties is one of the reasons why we continue to remain loyal to SPG ^^.

There are tons of great cafes within walking distance (Vyne, a wine bar next to the hotel was especially superb - great for dates ^). There are also some good ethnic restaurants - Poorna (Indian) and Sampurna (Indonesian) both had great food and an upscale ambiance. We did not really try the restaurant at the hotel except for breakfast.

The staff were exceptional - right from the front desk to the waiters at the restaurant. Everyone spoke flawless English and seemed eager to help. Unfortunately, the hotel no longer offers a local gift as a choice for Plat amenity...they did offer some cookies instead of the points and we took the points one time and the cookies the next. The hotel also runs its own 10-seater boat (the explorer) and we took a tour of the canals on it one evening...a fun experience (38 Euro each).

Overall, we were very happy with our stay - I had booked this on a C&P rate of $90 + 4800 *points a day...and the cash rate was well in excess of 250Eur for each of those nights for the most basic room...so we were able to redeem our points for upwards of 5 cents/point. At these rates, it was definitely great value for money...Amsterdam is a lovely city and staying at the Pulitzer made our trip even more memorable!
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:08 pm

Hotel Bed
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4253/dsc0885g.jpg
View from Room at Night
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4210/dsc0796m.jpg
Room
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3047/dsc0710s.jpg
View from Room during day
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/6793/dsc0712u.jpg
Armoire
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2848/dsc0714.jpg
Bathroom Sink
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3421/dsc0716r.jpg
One of the many corridors
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8559/dsc0777h.jpg
Steep stairs!
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3428/dsc0778.jpg
Painting in corridor
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8379/dsc0780e.jpg
Cookies as Platinum Amenity
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6903/dsc0785oy.jpg
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:05 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by GMAmsterdam
Since March 1 we include breakast and free internet for all Platinums at the Pulitzer as well. ^

Welcome to Amsterdam

Kurt Renold
Area Manager The Netherlands
Thanks for confirming this. As with others, this confirmation has swung our forthcoming three night stay here over the Hilton.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
My wife and I are considering a trip to Amsterdam. It seems the reviews for this property are mixed -- and because we plan on making a C&P stay, I'm a bit concerned that we would be stuck in a very undesirable room.

Another option for us is the Sheraton AMS -- given that the airport/hotel gives reasonably convenient access to the city (and at a lower category to boot) is there anybody who would recommend that we take a potentially undesirable but more expensive room with a better location?
Old May 4, 2010, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Both hotels are ok and I am always happy with the airport Sheraton. I'm Plat so that means Club access which is great. The health club is better at the Sheraton if that is important to you.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by DHAST
My wife and I are considering a trip to Amsterdam. It seems the reviews for this property are mixed -- and because we plan on making a C&P stay, I'm a bit concerned that we would be stuck in a very undesirable room.

Another option for us is the Sheraton AMS -- given that the airport/hotel gives reasonably convenient access to the city (and at a lower category to boot) is there anybody who would recommend that we take a potentially undesirable but more expensive room with a better location?
We stayed in the lowest category room the first night (because we arrived really early, ~9am and didnt want to wait for an upgraded room). IMO, it was still fine and comfortable if a little on the small side. Opened out to a nice semi-private sitting area too.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

I wouldn't want to stay at the airport when I've visiting the city. It's nice to be able to come back to the hotel, freshen up, and go out again. You'll also have a much broader range of restaurants available by staying in town.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I wouldn't want to stay at the airport when I've visiting the city. It's nice to be able to come back to the hotel, freshen up, and go out again. You'll also have a much broader range of restaurants available by staying in town.
Nornally I'd agree with the above, but the Sheraton AMS is a great hotel, and only 20 mins away via easy train. Schiphol is in itself a decent shopping mall with flights too!

What I've done before is stay at the airport on my arrival since there are usually no issues/fees checking in early at the Sheraton. I'll leave my main bag with the bell desk at check-out and only take what I need into the city for the rest of my stay, picking it up on departure and/or spending the night before my flight back at the Sheraton for super-easy check-in the next morning.

That said, I'm looking forward to my upcoming stay at the Pulitzer!
Old May 5, 2010, 5:30 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and AA Concierge Key
I had a nice stay at the Pulitzer recently. I was upgraded to a deluxe room and really like the unusual design of the place. Breakfast was excellent and I was very pleased when I found out it was free for Plats. I would stay here again
Old May 6, 2010, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by DHAST

You cannot compare these 2 hotels. The Pulitzer's location is unbeatable for an Amsterdam visit and certainly good value for C&P!
Old May 6, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Thumbs up

I will be checking in here tomorrow (5/7). This property is in my top ten favorites in the world. The new free breakfast for platinums is such a classy touch. I woke up thinking about it today.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:24 am

Last edited by Astrophsx; Jul 3, 2010 at 5:56 pm
Old Jul 3, 2010, 5:52 pm

Hotel Review

Room 105

Photos: http://gallery.me.com/brenthartley#100083

Early June

I used a points redemption of 29k points for two nights in a executive canal room. I think the included breakfast and a somewhat larger room is worth paying the 14.5k vs the 12k a night, it's too bad they do not include free internet with the room for non-plat. The front desk wanted to give me a regular executive room and not one with a canal room, but after a little push they gave me one on the first floor. The first thing I noticed is how horrible the street noise was, especially from people walking by the room and vespas speeding by. The room was very beautiful and spacious. The road noise was not terrible after around 11pm.

I had some other problems with the room. I've seen on here and tripadvisor comments about the water pressure, it is as weak as other people had mentioned. The is not much in the way of lighting in the bathroom and the electrical outlet was non-functional. The wireless internet was also a problem. The connection would drop out every 15 minutes, it seems to be provided by an outlet in the room near the desk. I contacted the desk several times and they provided me with a cat5 internet cord, but this did not solve the problem. They did not look into the problem any further. It took several emails to the hotel manager to get refunded the $43 for two days of internet. I was not very impressed with the staff in the lobby, but the manager that I contacted via email was very helpful.

Otherwise the room was very comfortable and the free breakfast in the morning was great! They recommended a place called Orange Bikes http://www.orangebike.nl which was about two blocks away to rent a bike. This was a great way to get around town. The location of the hotel is not far from the center of the city or the museums. The bike was a much better way to go than taking the cabs with the shady cab drivers. I also suggest using the shuttle to and from the airport for under 25 euro round trip. http://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/s...sp?HotelID=346
Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I also suggest using the shuttle to and from the airport for under 25 euro round trip.
The train is so incredibly easy to/from the airport...unless you have a lot of luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.