Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Gold Status Removed; Starwood had computer glitch

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Status Removed; Starwood had computer glitch

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2008, 8:43 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Same issue I just noted today on my account.. my gold status (I easily spend the required 30k on the card) was expired. I'll PM the Lurker II since that seems just as easy as the phone call.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 9:10 pm

Does the $30,000 annual spending requirement apply to AMEX Platinum, (not a Starwood AMEX card?) I'm confused . . . I thought it was an automatic benefit with the AMEX Platinum card.

I, too, have had my Gold Status removed -- once several years ago, (they told me I had to call and request Gold status!) and again today (unbeknownst to me) when I called about a reservation mix-up at the Danieli, and as compensation, they offered to upgrade me to Gold!

My card renews March 1.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Originally Posted by lv2bagl
Does the $30,000 annual spending requirement apply to AMEX Platinum, (not a Starwood AMEX card?) I'm confused . . . I thought it was an automatic benefit with the AMEX Platinum card.

I, too, have had my Gold Status removed -- once several years ago, (they told me I had to call and request Gold status!) and again today (unbeknownst to me) when I called about a reservation mix-up at the Danieli, and as compensation, they offered to upgrade me to Gold!

My card renews March 1.
gold is a benefit of the AMEX plat card, logon to the amex plat site there is a number you need to call.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Same thing happened here. I qualified 2 years ago with stay and then re-qualified this year due to spending $30k (it said it at the bottom of my 12/07 statement for Amex). However, online it wasn't showing me as Gold. Made a call and it took about a minute for them to fix it for me.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:16 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Same Here - But Took Two Hours To Fix It!

The same thing happened to me yesterday, but it was nowhere near as quick and painless to get things fixed.

Side Note: I spend several hundred thousand dollars a year on my Starwood Amex every year. I've been an extremely satisfied American Express customer for 13 years (Green Card + Membership Rewards before I discovered SPG). I've only had one other minor issue with Amex, about 9 years ago. I've been an extremely happy SPG member for about 3 years. I've recommended the card to numerous people (several of which have signed up and use it extensively now).

First, I called Starwood. I got a message that they were busy and to hold for a representative. It made a weird, annoying ringing sound for about five minutes, then disconnected me. I tried again. Same thing. I checked online and found the Gold customer support number (and saw that I had been calling the regular number). Same thing. I tried a fourth time. Same thing. I gave up on calling them. I searched around to confirm that they still offered Gold with $30k in spend. I found the online email contact and sent an email.

Later in the day, I was working on bills and I saw my $45 annual charge as I was categorizing my credit card charges. It frustrated me to see the charge, especially after the downgrade and the inability to contact SPG.

So I called American Express. I told the representative about the downgrade, the inability to contact Starwood, and the annual charge. He puts me on hold to research things. When he comes back, he tells me that there has been a change in the policy, and that you only get Gold based on the current calendar year. I tell him that's ridiculous and that there's no way it works like that. But even if it did, I've already spent well over $30,000 this year. He says that it will take 12-16 weeks after my qualifying spend is billed before my Gold status will be reinstated. I'm fuming at this point. I explain that will be SIX MONTHS into the year. I ask "What about people who barely spend $30,000 in a year? They would never get Gold." He says that's just the way it is. I start searching on their web site for the specific rules and regulations regarding Gold. It takes a while to find, but I finally find it. I ask to speak to a supervisor. He refuses and says they'll just tell me the same thing. I ask again. He eventually agrees and I'm transfered to a supervisor.

The supervisor tells me the same thing, then tells me that my qualified spend this year is only $27,500 (because they don't include unbilled charges). I read the rules to her. She again insists that things were changed and that it doesn't work that way. The rules clearly state that you get twelve months after the calendar year. She read her internal rules, which even more clearly stated the same. Yet she's still being argumentative. She says I need to call Starwood. I explain that I tried calling them four times and got disconnected every time. She places the call and connects me.

So now I'm finally talking to a lady at Starwood. She was very pleasant and sympathetic. I explained the entire situation to her. She told me that she had four people with the downgrade problem in the previous 45 minutes and that all the CSRs had been called in early due to high call volume, so she put me on hold to check with her supervisor. She was looking for any sort of explanation or a way to ensure that this wouldn't happen in the future. She wasn't able to find an explanation, but she was able to put me back in the Gold category.

Bottom line is that I wasted nearly two hours of my time yesterday. I got so frustrated with both Starwood and American Express that I was ready to cancel my card and switch to something else (even though I know the benefits wouldn't be as good). I never got an explanation about the downgrade, the disconnects or the rude CSR (and Manager) at AmEx. Through the entire process, I was never offered any compensation for my difficulties. American Express could have waived my annual fee or given me bonus starpoints. Starwood could have offered me bonus starpoints or perhaps even an upgrade to Platinum. Maybe I shouldn't expect anything, but most companies do something when things go as wrong as they did, and American Express and Starwood (in my past experience, anyway) have always been the cream of the crop when it comes to customer service.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:21 am

3minutes 20 seconds with hold times and transfers. Pretty painless, but it's still a bit of an annoyance. I was wondering if it was b/c I have 2 Amex SPG cards, but I guess that isn't the case.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, AA 2MM Platinum
Under 60 Seconds

Explained the status drop and that I hit the 30,K several times over annually. Before I could explian I would be in Europe later this month and any status helps, she had switched me back to Gold
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:42 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Seems like a lot of people got hit by a computer glitch that is now expecting people to spend $30,000 by March 1st (!) to regain Gold. Since I don't have an upcoming stay at SPG property soon, I'm just patiently waiting for Starwood Lurker II to clear the issue.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:48 am

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
Same with me, despite the email late last year saying that I hit the $30k and qualified for continuing Gold through 2008, I dropped to regular.

However a quick call also of less than 60 sec and using the offer code for comp Gold with the Bus Plat card resolved the issue! It's available at open.com/starwoodpreferred

I've been talking to several people lately, all of whom have noticed a deterioration in service and attitude from Amex, perhaps ever since they became their own bank?
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:05 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
The same thing happened to me yesterday, but it was nowhere near as quick and painless to get things fixed.

Side Note: I spend several hundred thousand dollars a year on my Starwood Amex every year. I've been an extremely satisfied American Express customer for 13 years (Green Card + Membership Rewards before I discovered SPG). I've only had one other minor issue with Amex, about 9 years ago. I've been an extremely happy SPG member for about 3 years. I've recommended the card to numerous people (several of which have signed up and use it extensively now).

First, I called Starwood. I got a message that they were busy and to hold for a representative. It made a weird, annoying ringing sound for about five minutes, then disconnected me. I tried again. Same thing. I checked online and found the Gold customer support number (and saw that I had been calling the regular number). Same thing. I tried a fourth time. Same thing. I gave up on calling them. I searched around to confirm that they still offered Gold with $30k in spend. I found the online email contact and sent an email.

Later in the day, I was working on bills and I saw my $45 annual charge as I was categorizing my credit card charges. It frustrated me to see the charge, especially after the downgrade and the inability to contact SPG.

So I called American Express. I told the representative about the downgrade, the inability to contact Starwood, and the annual charge. He puts me on hold to research things. When he comes back, he tells me that there has been a change in the policy, and that you only get Gold based on the current calendar year. I tell him that's ridiculous and that there's no way it works like that. But even if it did, I've already spent well over $30,000 this year. He says that it will take 12-16 weeks after my qualifying spend is billed before my Gold status will be reinstated. I'm fuming at this point. I explain that will be SIX MONTHS into the year. I ask "What about people who barely spend $30,000 in a year? They would never get Gold." He says that's just the way it is. I start searching on their web site for the specific rules and regulations regarding Gold. It takes a while to find, but I finally find it. I ask to speak to a supervisor. He refuses and says they'll just tell me the same thing. I ask again. He eventually agrees and I'm transfered to a supervisor.

The supervisor tells me the same thing, then tells me that my qualified spend this year is only $27,500 (because they don't include unbilled charges). I read the rules to her. She again insists that things were changed and that it doesn't work that way. The rules clearly state that you get twelve months after the calendar year. She read her internal rules, which even more clearly stated the same. Yet she's still being argumentative. She says I need to call Starwood. I explain that I tried calling them four times and got disconnected every time. She places the call and connects me.

So now I'm finally talking to a lady at Starwood. She was very pleasant and sympathetic. I explained the entire situation to her. She told me that she had four people with the downgrade problem in the previous 45 minutes and that all the CSRs had been called in early due to high call volume, so she put me on hold to check with her supervisor. She was looking for any sort of explanation or a way to ensure that this wouldn't happen in the future. She wasn't able to find an explanation, but she was able to put me back in the Gold category.

Bottom line is that I wasted nearly two hours of my time yesterday. I got so frustrated with both Starwood and American Express that I was ready to cancel my card and switch to something else (even though I know the benefits wouldn't be as good). I never got an explanation about the downgrade, the disconnects or the rude CSR (and Manager) at AmEx. Through the entire process, I was never offered any compensation for my difficulties. American Express could have waived my annual fee or given me bonus starpoints. Starwood could have offered me bonus starpoints or perhaps even an upgrade to Platinum. Maybe I shouldn't expect anything, but most companies do something when things go as wrong as they did, and American Express and Starwood (in my past experience, anyway) have always been the cream of the crop when it comes to customer service.
You may want to cut some slack to both AMEX and Starwood on this one. If I'm not mistaken, 2007 was the first year where one could achieve GOLD status through annual spending. It's not surprising that nobody seems to know whats' going on.

I just called Starwood, and like most of you here, I was able to get my GOLD status reinstated. I think, if we're lucky, our status may be good for TWO YEARS. Why? Once before, there was an issue with my GOLD status being downgraded in error. After calling Starwood, I received my new GOLD card. But it was good through February 28th, not of the following year but a year after that! In such cases I think they do this to make up for part of our year being of a lesser status, even though its just been for a few days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:44 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi MichaelColey,

I am sorry to hear that you have gone through so much to get your status reinstated. In situations where you are not getting a response for cases like this, and it is not very urgent that you require immediate assistance, you may like to write to me and leave the rest for me to follow up.

Thank you for your kind patience and have a nice day!

[email protected]

Originally Posted by MichaelColey

Old Mar 5, 2008, 10:42 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by LUMRS
I have had the same experience. I am NW PE, which provided *W gold status. When I did not make the threshold for requalification for *W, I called. They re-enrolled me in the gold program. The CSRs on the phone are usually quite helpful for membership queries.
Northwest Platinum provides Starwood Gold status????? The only hotel benefit I see on the NW site is fast track to Hilton gold.

I just lost my *wood gold since most of my travel last year was far from their hotels. I am NW PE though, and if I could couple that with a new *wood Amex and two stays next week to get gold back I would be a happy person.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by tev9999
Northwest Platinum provides Starwood Gold status????? The only hotel benefit I see on the NW site is fast track to Hilton gold.

I just lost my *wood gold since most of my travel last year was far from their hotels. I am NW PE though, and if I could couple that with a new *wood Amex and two stays next week to get gold back I would be a happy person.
Have you signed up for the second quarter promo (see sticky)? There is the possibility you could get a double stay promo?
Old Mar 5, 2008, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, SPG Gld, Hilton Gld
My gold status is now missing too.

My gold status is from being an owner in the SVO (Starwood timeshare), as well as being well above the Amex spend threshhold.

Sounds like a bug that is affecting a lot of folks. Lurker, do you know if a global fix is being worked on, or do we all need to call individually to get this fixed.

Thanks to all who reported this, and thanks to Lurker for assistance as well.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 4:24 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by SRQbird
My gold status is now missing too.

My gold status is from being an owner in the SVO (Starwood timeshare), as well as being well above the Amex spend threshhold.

Sounds like a bug that is affecting a lot of folks. Lurker, do you know if a global fix is being worked on, or do we all need to call individually to get this fixed.

Thanks to all who reported this, and thanks to Lurker for assistance as well.
Sorry, but I don't have a clue. No one on our end of things has confirmed it anyway. If your status has been downgraded and it should not have been, just call the Customer Contact Center and ask them to sort it out.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.