Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Gold Status Removed; Starwood had computer glitch

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

I am a spg gold member because of the amex credit card (if you spend 30,000) . However, i noticed my account was marked as a corporate account. Starwood Lurkers any help?
Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Lightbulb

Since it's not mentioned here, have you called Starwood or AMEX??

As well stated in another post
.....since Starwood has contact customer service centers available in all of the major areas of the world, what is the big deal about just picking up the phone rather than spending time posting..........
Posting here and asking for the lurkers - on a weekend - isn't not the best use of your time.

In addition, there are previous threads on this very subject. Have you reviewed any of those?

Last edited by KENNECTED; Mar 2, 2008 at 12:59 pm Reason: TYPO
Old Mar 2, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, FPC Plat, SPG Gold, NW Silver
Or, we could just come right out and tell you that sometimes you have to call AMEX and/or SPG and give a little nudge/reminder that you qualify for Gold. It just happens around re-up time sometimes, happened to me a couple years back, I made the call and Gold was restored and I rec'd updated cards within weeks.

Good Luck
Old Mar 2, 2008, 6:06 pm

Hi, it took less than 5 min. to call to the nice folks at SPG to mention my SPG AMEX spending was well over the 30K threashold, and within minutes Gold status re-instated. There is good value in this SPG/Amex relationship...too bad it is not quite seemless and requires a call. in any event this was quite painless...unlike trying to get reservation e-mail confirmations which I have not seen in over 3 years to my yahoo acct., even after contacting the nice folks at SPG and SPG IT many many times, sorry the e-mail trouble is in another thread.

All the best SPG Amex spenders,
Old Mar 2, 2008, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
I called today with a similar issue. From the time the rep picked up the phone until I was Gold again could not have been more than one minute.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 7:31 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hey WScottsdaleInsider,

Thanks for the heads-up. I have reviewed your account and you are now a Gold Preferred Guest. Do send me a PM if you need anything else.

Have a nice day!

Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
I am a spg gold member because of the amex credit card (if you spend 30,000) . However, i noticed my account was marked as a corporate account. Starwood Lurkers any help?
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:28 pm

Lost Gold

I too have had my gold revoked. However, I don't think I would have qualified through my SPG AMEX. I have had Gold for two years now through an unknown means (I just got the package in the mail one day), and this past December I was told by a CSR that I would requal in Feb. Since this did not happen, I am trying to find out why not. So far, SPG CSR's have not been able to assist and are wondering why I was told I would requal. Do some corporate accounts result in Gold Status? Any other means?

I know this is pretty vague, but if anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 1:36 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi onfo,

Please send me your account details through PM and I will review your account accordingly.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Originally Posted by onfo
I too have had my gold revoked. However, I don't think I would have qualified through my SPG AMEX. I have had Gold for two years now through an unknown means (I just got the package in the mail one day), and this past December I was told by a CSR that I would requal in Feb. Since this did not happen, I am trying to find out why not. So far, SPG CSR's have not been able to assist and are wondering why I was told I would requal. Do some corporate accounts result in Gold Status? Any other means?

I know this is pretty vague, but if anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 5:00 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Hey WScottsdaleInsider,

Thanks for the heads-up. I have reviewed your account and you are now a Gold Preferred Guest. Do send me a PM if you need anything else.

Have a nice day!
Wow, so WSottsdaleInsider must have PMed you and started this thread. But great service from our new Lurker! ^
Old Mar 3, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver
The computer seems to have had some problems on March 1 -- I didn't qualify based on stays last year (had 9), but did qualify based on Amex spending, and then this year already have 20 stays so far, so I should have been Gold automatically. Had to call to get bumped back up before checking in last night for another stay (new job, more travel). Not a big deal, they were very friendly about it.

Hoping my upcoming Platinum transition is automatic, but if not, I'm not worried about getting it taken care of easily.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:45 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Never takes more than one call, however - after years of every complaining that Gold status is meaningless and that everyone has it, maybe Starwood is trying to tighten up and make it a tad more important and valuable?
Old Mar 3, 2008, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Platinum; SPG Gold; Priority Club/IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
I had this same thing happen to me. I checked my account today and noticed I was no longer SPG Gold... checked my Amex account and noticed I spent well over $30k in 2007... called Amex and they told me I definitely qualified but it would take up to 12 weeks for the status to post (kinda dumb if you ask me)... so I called SPG and the great rep upgraded my account on the spot. Quick and easy.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 6:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
I have not traveled much lately and was counting on my AMEX charges to maintain my GOLD status. Just before last Christmas, I did the math and found I was more than $1,000.00 over the $30,000.00 threshold. Otherwise, I had planned on buying some gift cards or something, just to put me over the top. But on March 1st, my SPG account showed me as "Preferred Plus!" I looked, online, at my AMEX annual spending summary, for 2007, and could not believe my eyes. Somehow, I miscalculated and came up $71.00 short! Yes, I charged a total of $29,929.00!!

I sent an email to SPG yesterday and have only gotten an automated response, so far. Starwood has always come through for me, in the past, as far as favors go. So, with a little luck, I'm hoping they'll do so again.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 7:01 pm

To qualify for Gold is the Amex required spending of $30,000 for Calendar Year 2007? The reason I ask is that I too qualified for Gold last year around April when I hit $30K, but on 3/1/08 my account has been downgraded as well.

Should I still be Gold?
Old Mar 3, 2008, 7:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta DM 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond, Hertz PC, Europcar Elite VIP, Accor Gold
I have had the same experience. I am NW PE, which provided *W gold status. When I did not make the threshold for requalification for *W, I called. They re-enrolled me in the gold program. The CSRs on the phone are usually quite helpful for membership queries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.