Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the Front Office Manager

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2008, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG
PS: I'd like to sincerely thank everyone for their welcoming me.

The conversation has been great and I'm happy to share my knowledge and learn at the same time.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by FPHotelGuy

The conversation has been great and I'm happy to share my knowledge and learn at the same time.
While the info & insights you're provided has been amazing, I wonder do you ever get a day off?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Not a chance, friend.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 4:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)

From your comments so far, I think I'd rather stay at your property than many others in the system. When can you fit us in?

Really appreciated though - I think the more we understand about how your side of the business works, the easier it is to understand when we really are getting good service or in some cases, being fobbed off with bad information or under trained staff. Either way, it is definitely good to see behind the curtain ^
Old Feb 17, 2008, 5:27 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
question for you 4photelguy:
i booked two rooms at the westin crown center on line at spg.com. one was an award room and the other was paid using the aaa discount for a rate of $119.20. next i call the platinum conceirge and request connecting rooms for these two rooms. when i go back to check them at spg.com i see that the rate is now $329. i called spg and they called the hotel and fixed it telling me that it appears when they upgraded me they charged me the rate for the upgraded room ( odd because we did not receive an upgrade ). then my plans change and my wife is going to arrive before me and i want to make sure there are no problems with her check in so i call the conceirge and ask that they add a comment that mrs abk will be checking in first to both reservations. she checks in and i arrive latter. the next day i go to see about a platinum amenity and ask the guy what the rate for the paid room is and he tells me $329. he then studies the reservation and tells me everytime they add a comment or change something it reprices the room. took forever to straighten out. is this some quirk with that particular hotel because i have not experienced this type of thing before.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
That's fine that you disagree, but realize it does happen just about every time you stay in a hotel.

If someone shows up at 11p and the hotel has 75 rooms to sell, they are going to sell it for a heavily reduced rate.

Y'know?

Edit: PS this is not at all something every hotel does. Some hotels have VERY strict revenue managers that are the type of people who say "I'm going to sell at $155 for this day. End of story." "But..but..Jill, we've got 280 rooms to sell and it's a holiday!" "Doesn't matter. $155 or die."
I understand...but my point is if I walk into the hotel and ask what their best available rate is, and they quote me a number that is less than what I reserved at, I should be entitled to pay the newly quoted rate. I wasn't suggesting that they automatically adjust my rate down without my asking.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abk
question for you 4photelguy:
i booked two rooms at the westin crown center on line at spg.com. one was an award room and the other was paid using the aaa discount for a rate of $119.20. next i call the platinum conceirge and request connecting rooms for these two rooms. when i go back to check them at spg.com i see that the rate is now $329. i called spg and they called the hotel and fixed it telling me that it appears when they upgraded me they charged me the rate for the upgraded room ( odd because we did not receive an upgrade ). then my plans change and my wife is going to arrive before me and i want to make sure there are no problems with her check in so i call the conceirge and ask that they add a comment that mrs abk will be checking in first to both reservations. she checks in and i arrive latter. the next day i go to see about a platinum amenity and ask the guy what the rate for the paid room is and he tells me $329. he then studies the reservation and tells me everytime they add a comment or change something it reprices the room. took forever to straighten out. is this some quirk with that particular hotel because i have not experienced this type of thing before.
I have no idea. I'd guess that when SPG called the hotel it didn't actually get fixed and the agent made up the thing about "everytime they add a comment or change something it reprices the room". I say that because I can't think of a situation where that would happen.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:40 pm

Programs: MR Plat, AA EXP, Hertz Presidents Club, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I'm not sure they even have a suite, do they?
No they don't have more than the corner rooms. So, for me to say suite is being generous. You are right in refering to it as a corner room. I did not use to care, but now the corner rooms have flat screens and it is nice to have to play BlueRay DVDs on my PS3.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador (lifetime Platinum), Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I would have to respectfully disagree with you. If I make an airline or car rental reservation and the price goes down before I take the flight/car I expect to receive some kind of compensation (eg refund or voucher.) I feel I am entitled to that regardless of whether the reservation was refundable or not.
So along this logic, if the airline or car rental or hotel price went up, you would gratiously accept a new bill from them? I think its a nice gesture of some airlines to do vouchers (although some limit them, others still impose their $100 change fee, and others just don't do it at all), but honestly I don't think they should have to.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:09 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I understand...but my point is if I walk into the hotel and ask what their best available rate is, and they quote me a number that is less than what I reserved at, I should be entitled to pay the newly quoted rate.
You are certainly entitled to that, just like the hotel is entitled to charge you a cancellation/no-show penalty if you do so after the cancellation deadline for your original reservation.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you booked online a month in advance you may have got a room for $125 but the person who walks in the door at 11pm is going to be paying $165.
But at 11pm with unsold rooms--isn't even a discounted rate better than $0 income for the room? Or do you think that the traveler who walks in at 11 is tired and will take whatever is available.

Obviously exceptions can and will be made but, generally speaking, unless you are an SPG elite member or loyal guest i'm not going to change your rate if it's 8pm at night.
What about at 5:45pm, assuming there is a 6pm no penalty cancellation deadline?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Most folks end up hanging the towels on the shower rod instead of the towel bar. Cleaning the shower curtain while the towels are hung there prevents the chemicals from reaching every part of the shower curtain.
But then, you have to provide us with an available towel bar! More often than not, I take a towel off the shelf, often attached to the wall at the back of the shower. The towel bar underneath has several clean towels already hanging from it. The towel bar over the toilet has several clean towels hanging from it. Am I expected to remove all those extra towels to find a place to hang my towel? If I hang it on the hook on the back of the door, the towel does not dry out properly, and probably still will be damp when I get back to the room that evening.

See? It's a problem from both sides.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kevinsac
See? It's a problem from both sides.
Absolutely. Like I said, i'd address it with the individual property, they more than likely just don't know it's a large concern for you.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:15 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
I would say that you need to address this with the management where you find the towel situation to be a problem.

Have a nice day,
FPHG
I guess, in a way, I have.

First the "towel situation" is only the symptom. The real problem, IMO, is staff not doing what they have been hired and trained to do, and management that either doesn't care enough or feels helpless in encouraging and motivating their staff to do so.

A customer can have a wonderful front desk experience, but it can be undermined and overcome by a poor housekeeping experience. From your response, it isn't clear that you completely appreciate or understand that.

In my experience, Housekeeping is a hotel's weakest link followed by room service/food service -- areas that you have admitted are taking a lower priority in many (most?) hotels. Believe me, it shows.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:27 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Absolutely. Like I said, i'd address it with the individual property, they more than likely just don't know it's a large concern for you.
I found kevinsac's observation as just common sense. If one has to bring that to a manager's attention it shows that management has made minimal effort to experience their hotel like a customer. I understand we all have different needs/wants, but do I have to explain to a hotel that a lack of a towel bar located near the sink for a hand towel is an inconvenience? Do you not have a towel bar near the sink in your bathroom at home?

Last edited by wth; Feb 27, 2008 at 9:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.