Community
Wiki Posts
Search

problem receiving emails from Starwood

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:10 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
nroscoe, I have much the same experience as you....intermittant emails...even when I see postings on these forums, I will double back and check my email to see if I received an emails. 9 of 10 times no.

let's start comparing email suffix endings:

I get MOSTLY <spg.starwood.com> emails (IOW - of the ones I receive, the huge majority are from this domain)

I find/found no problem corresponding w/ a specific name at starwood when I won a MOMENTS package: <@starwoodhotels.com>

Had one promotional email back in Dec: <[email protected]>

Ditto for an email yesterday, in fact, asking me to bid on spg for the freddy: <[email protected]>

But - I never, ever hear about anything related to PLAT level promotions that I can tell, including whether or not I was eligible for the recent 50PER (promotion). I am still in the dark on that one and haven't had time to call. Was hoping a genuine email from spg would come through.

About two years ago just before the MOMENTS concept was established, many remember starwood would set up some very high-end promotions (super bowl for something like 150K or 200K starpoints - small change in the big picture) comes to mind) and then the "first "x" responders" could reserve the promption. Talk about frustration that I could even get the initial notice of the promotion to have a chance to be "first responder" ? I could not get any emails from spg...and I was PLAT and had the points sitting there ready to commit...and I would only learn after loggin in to flyertalk about such great packages. So, from this aspect I am actually glad to see the MOMENTS concept develop, although clearly it now takes far more starpoints to win a comparable package.

William even got involved trying to research the email situation, but I NEVER, EVER got notice of those promotional "first responders win" emails and finally "MOMENTS" took over. SO some glitche (IMO) still exist even today between where starwood sent out emails and I failed to receive was never corrected. Years ago. And yes, I sweep (review) my SPAM folder often.

CONCLUSION: Do I have confidence I receive emails that other PLATs receive ? Unfortunately, no. I look to these forums for all my information. Its hit and miss at best. Or else spg uses targeted email campaigns excessively and thus maybe I am intentionally ommitted out of most emails. Dunno.

Last edited by ILUVCITIBANK; Feb 15, 2008 at 12:21 pm
Old Feb 15, 2008, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by ILUVCITIBANK
nroscoe, I have much the same experience as you....intermittant emails...even when I see postings on these forums, I will double back and check my email to see if I received an emails. 9 of 10 times no.
my mantra: I love Starwood hotels*, and while their IT/web infrastructure may serve them well, it does not always serve their guests.

* except Westin Vegas, W NY Lex, Westin New Orleans, Westin Paris
Old Mar 1, 2008, 6:14 am

Programs: Hilton
I received a response from the SPG executive office to an email I sent them in regards to the issue.

They gave the tired old explanation regarding check spam filters blah blah blah.

This totally contradicted information I have been given by William so clearly there are other communication problems within the organization.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 2:49 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by camsean
I received a response from the SPG executive office to an email I sent them in regards to the issue.

They gave the tired old explanation regarding check spam filters blah blah blah.

This totally contradicted information I have been given by William so clearly there are other communication problems within the organization.
I'm sorry if you are still experiencing difficulty, but I don't know if it is contradictory as much as it is nearly an impossible situation to figure out. There are just too many variables out there for anyone to be able to say what causes this difficulty.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 3, 2008, 5:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
I am so glad to see this thread! I have been having trouble receiving Starwood email FOR YEARS!! I've checked my SPAM folders, numerous times, and have tried a variety of email addresses. I finally decided to put my SPRINT PCS email address into my SPG profile and now I'm getting Starwood's email. I recently got my first SPG account statement, (by email,) ever!
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:36 pm

Programs: Hilton
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
I'm sorry if you are still experiencing difficulty, but I don't know if it is contradictory as much as it is nearly an impossible situation to figure out. There are just too many variables out there for anyone to be able to say what causes this difficulty.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

I have changed email addresses with SPG so hopefully that will take care of the problem.

I guess I was just disappointed that the response from the SPG executive gave no hint of the information you gave me regarding problems with Yahoo addresses but just talked about spam filters even though I said in my email to them that I was sure this was not the problem.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 1:56 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi camsean,

Actually one of the reasons our members might not be receiving emails from us is due to yahoo servers blocking our IP addresses.

I used to receive tons of undelivered emails from members' mailboxes under yahoo, claiming that it is "undelivered" as the server has classified our IP address as "SPAM" mail senders.

I am not sure if the associate has provided the right information but there were instances in which I had to contact our members on the phone(with time differences) to provide the response verbally. Comcast has the same problem with our mails as well. So here you go...

But like what William has mentioned, there are too many reasons that has been involved.

Thank you and have a nice day!

[email protected]

Originally Posted by camsean
I have changed email addresses with SPG so hopefully that will take care of the problem.

I guess I was just disappointed that the response from the SPG executive gave no hint of the information you gave me regarding problems with Yahoo addresses but just talked about spam filters even though I said in my email to them that I was sure this was not the problem.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 2:25 am

I get some Starwood e-mails (e. g. online booking confirmations and cancellations), but not all. I have problems with getting e-mail confirmations from Starwood Vacation Ownership. I have had them e-mail my RoadRunner account, a gmail account and my work account. Work and gmail arrive fine but not home. I guess its the blacklisting issue, but if reservation confirmations make it out fine, why don't other e-mails work? Use the confirmation server for all confirmations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.