Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Krabi, Thailand [Master Thread] (left July 1, 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Leaving Starwood on July 1, 2015

The Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort will be leaving the Starwood system on July 1, 2015. Reservations for dates on or after July 1, 2015, will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual.
Print Wikipost

[GONE] Sheraton Krabi, Thailand [Master Thread] (left July 1, 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Platinum treatment

We just checked out from a three night stay. At check in (1pm) there was some confusion with our booking as it was two reservations, so they sat us in the executive lounge (open air and very hot) for an hour, until the English duty manager rescued us. The kept asking us the same q's about whether we wanted twin or king bedding. They eventually allocated us a ground floor superior room (booked) although the small card with the room key said we had been UG. That night the Englishman sent us a cheap bottle of sparking wine as a gesture to say sorry.The next say I queried the UG and were moved to a 'club room' which was much better. Overall the experience was just ok.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 2:55 am

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Checked in for a night last week - upgrade to a club room (whatever that is).

I found the property to be pretty shabby - they are undergoing extensive renovations so that may be rectified soon. The staff see to be in need of extensive training also. Maybe I was setting the bar too high having just flown in from the St Regis BKK however there were far too many slip ups and language problems to be acceptable to me.

Combined with a fairly remote location, I don't see any reason to return to this property until the renovations are bedded in.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
sad news about ra ra (sheraton krabi)

this is very old news, now, but i just found out and thought some other flyertalkers might have missed the story also.

ra-ra, the delightful elephant at the sheraton krabi and the highlight of many guests' visits--including mine--died early in 2010 at her new home in the elephant nature foundation. i saw that UASPG mentioned this in a thread back in january, but i missed it and thought others might have as well.

here's a link about her death.

RIP, ra-ra.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:15 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Sad to hear. My son enjoyed her quite a bit.

I'll move this into the master thread on the hotel.

l'etoile
Starwood moderator
Old Nov 6, 2011, 6:37 pm

Sheraton Krabi

Booked a 1 night deluxe club room last week. Upon arriving at the hotel they could not locate my booking, so gave them my booking receipt. They booked me in to a club room but under no circumstances would allow me club access, they have now acknowledged it was a mistake and are offering 3500 SPG points. Is this a fair offer?
Thanks
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I am shocked to hear the news about Ra-Ra she greeted guests at our wedding in 2007.

We stayed in Krabi again earlier this year and despite having a suite reservation were messed about for almost 2 hours because the staff could not find it. Such a shame really as our wedding was a very special experience but I would no longer go out of my way to return there.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:45 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
checked in here today on my birthday... hotel is fully booked.. first time i ever was asked for my platinum card.. no recognition of my birthday even though the plat concierge even added a note when i made the booking... ( i checked out at the mercure deevana today and they sent me a cake and a bottle of sparkling wine even though i had a cheap third party booking and no status with them ) Quite disappointed, expected more but it is a nice property
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:46 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by karenkay
this is very old news, now, but i just found out and thought some other flyertalkers might have missed the story also.

ra-ra, the delightful elephant at the sheraton krabi and the highlight of many guests' visits--including mine--died early in 2010 at her new home in the elephant nature foundation. i saw that UASPG mentioned this in a thread back in january, but i missed it and thought others might have as well.

here's a link about her death.

RIP, ra-ra.
I missed this when it was posted. Ra Ra was one of my favourites. I've been crying while reading about her on the sanctuary website. I visited her numerous times and spent 3 days with her once, without other hotel guests, playing soccer, bathing, feeding and hanging out. She whacked me on the head with her head when she said goodbye. I fell against her head and she did the same to me. I needed spinal surgery 6 weeks later, and have a permanent reminder of Ra Ra - a titanium and carbon fibre implant between 2 discs in my neck. I'll miss you, my friend.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: Starwood PLATINUM, BA GOLD, KrisFlyer Blue, GFF Silver, BATS After Work Club, Emirates Silver
i heard this hotel is in Hangover 2 in the wedding scenes
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum, Fairmont-Pres, Hyatt-Globalist, SPG-Lifetime Platinum, Hilton-Diamond
Enjoyed our stay

We stayed 3 nights, checking out a couple days ago, and had a great time. The staff, the club lounge (newly renovated and just opened) was so enjoyable. Not a huge spread of food (probably could of opted for main restaurant but we had so much fun with the staff the custom-made eggs, fruit, coffee and fresh-made pastries and bread kept us in the lounge). This is a steal for a 3-star SPG property (I've stayed over 770 nights at various properties).

Not sure we got any room upgrades but it was next to well-equiped fitness center so it was convenient. We ventured outside the property for 2 great dinners (one a pure thai restaurant and once at more farang/touristy-oriented place).

I'd go back. ^^
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:47 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Checked out today..... overall nice experience... staff at poolbar and drinks @ pool could be better.... They forgot my birthday but apologized and sent the cake the next day... The BBQ buffet at the beach was very pleasant... very nice setting but the seafood was soso... nice cold dishes but the hot part was not really impressive. Most of the food was cold. i still recommend it for the setting... ordered a glass of MOET and it wasn't sparkling at all... i refused to accept it and then i was told they dont have anymore on stock.... The service at breakfast and at the BBQ buffet at the beach was perfect. I love the beach and the watersport activities.. i enjoyed the daytrips. No upgrade due to high occupancy but the room was ok ( no sweet sleeper bed though ). Great stay with some flaws, i would return without hesitation..... maybe going back in January. Excellent staff at front desk if they have time for you, superb club lounge staff, and very nice staff at the watersports/activity desk.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum. Hilton Gold. IHG PA. Accor Platinum
Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort

Stay Period - 2011.5.13 ~ 2011.6.3
Room - One Bedroom Suite

- Very good room condition ^
- Platinum Benefit is a breakfast and Happy Hour ^
- Extensive and beautiful gardens
- A great mix of garden and private beach ^^
- Bad breakfast on weekdays, but a very good Sunday breakfast
- Paid shuttle service to the city
- 6 Suites
- There are shops in front of the hotel
Spa. Seven-Eleven. Restaurant. Currency exchange. Laundry. Travel agency
- Starwood Privilege Card (F&B card) is available ^

Starwood Privilege Card
The fee varies by country. Valid for 1 year

Approximately 100 photos and the reviews written in Korean
To see the reviews you need a very fast internet speeds

Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort -One Bedroom Suite

Last edited by StationaryTraveller; Jun 19, 2012 at 3:54 pm
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm in the initial stages of planning a family trip to Thailand for next Christmas. I have some ff award tickets booked with the Star Alliance, but I have the flexibility to change them. I started looking at some of the Thai hotels we might want to stay at, and the Krabi caught my attention for two reasons: 1) it gets excellent tripadvisor and guidebook reviews; 2) it's only Cat. 3 and is offering cash & points, which is somewhat of a necessity for me because I need 2 rooms and I can tell that the Starwood resorts in the Phuket area charge high rack rates during the Holidays (like in the $400/per room per night range).

I assume this would be a suitable place to relax in Thailand, and that 3 nights would be a worthwhile stay? I also see there's an airport in Krabi (which has a daily Thai Airways flight) and that this would be the best way to get there?

Thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Haven't been to Krabi, so I can't compare, but you might want to check out Le Meridien Khao Lak. Wonderful hotel on a beautiful, uncrowded, extremely long stretch of beach. You'd fly into Phuket, then a 75 minute safe, air-conditioned ride in a taxi or hotel car on good roads. One of the nicest vacations my wife and I have ever had.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm in the initial stages of planning a family trip to Thailand for next Christmas. I have some ff award tickets booked with the Star Alliance, but I have the flexibility to change them. I started looking at some of the Thai hotels we might want to stay at, and the Krabi caught my attention for two reasons: 1) it gets excellent tripadvisor and guidebook reviews; 2) it's only Cat. 3 and is offering cash & points, which is somewhat of a necessity for me because I need 2 rooms and I can tell that the Starwood resorts in the Phuket area charge high rack rates during the Holidays (like in the $400/per room per night range).

I assume this would be a suitable place to relax in Thailand, and that 3 nights would be a worthwhile stay? I also see there's an airport in Krabi (which has a daily Thai Airways flight) and that this would be the best way to get there?

Thanks for the advice.
We got married at the Sheraton Krabi and decided to go out of our way to stop over there en route to the LM Khao Lak last year, flying into and subsequently out of KBV airport.

We have thus seen pretty much all room types and it appeared little had changed in terms of rooms when we revisited. This is one property where I would absolutely not want to stay in a regular room because they are quite spartan and unless budget travel is your thing are absolutely not worth a long trip to experience.

We reserved a suite outright on SPG points (as mentioned above I wouldn't want to stay in a regular room or the nehanced regular room). Upon check in the property had totally muffed up our reservation and we spent the best part of 2 hours waiting for them to resolve it (this was a simple suite redemption booking). I had requested if at all possible that we had the same suite as we had when we married, this clearly was not going to happen when after much argument about the fact that I had in fact reserved a suite we were asked if this was our first stay at the property. The look on my wife's face at this point was not something that I want to dwell upon.

We eventually received what I believe to be the worst suite on the property on the ground floor in the middle of the resort. The stay itself after that was so so, the suites are OK but the upgraded tolietries seem to have been replaced with the bog standard Sheraton Bliss amenties which I hate. The open air club lounge (which didn't exist on our previous stay) was fine but relatively busy with a crowd determined to "extract value" from their club lounge access. We left for the more relaxed (and it has to be said very quiet) atmosphere in the bar and enjoyed a pleasant happy hour with nice drinks at reasonable prices.

We ate dinner in the Indian Restaurant (which also wasn't there on our previous stay). This was quite pleasant if a little expensive for what it was, I seem to recall insects being something of a problem on the outdoor terrace. We avoided the buffet for breakfast the following morning (included I think as a Plat) and instead paid for breakfast room service, there was however no credit given for not taking the buffet. We hadn't enjoyed the buffets that much on our previous stay so were happy to swallow the additional cost.

One highly personal but relevant observation we made was that the tree we planted after we married had gone AWOL, this also upset my wife quite a bit, who returned to this subject periodically in every conversation whilst we were at the property.

Broadly speaking the staff were good but not as good as we remembered from our previous stay but it would appear from our own and others experience here that competence at check in is not a strong point of the property. We did not visit either the spa or gym on this trip but used them both on our previous stay and found the spa to be good and the gym adequate. We missed the presence of Ra Ra the baby elephant who greeted guests at our wedding and were sorry to hear she had passed away.

Krabi Airport is approximately 15 to 20 minutes drive from the resort. We picked up a hire car there for our visit to the Sheraton and onwards to Khao Lak. We had also picked up our wedding guests there on our last stay (even though we flew into and out of HKT on that occasion). It is a great little airport and has the best TG domestic business lounge I have experienced in Thailand.

All in we were quite disappointed with our short 2nd visit and we wouldn't recommend the resort as a result. I would suggest for those who are looking to stay here to ensure that you confirm a suite (which even then may not be reserved for you as we experienced) rather than take a chance on staying in a regular room. There is a reason for the Cat 3 status after all, but this does make it reasonable value to reserve a suite for points outright.

LM Khao Lak also isn't perfect by any means but it is a LOT closer to perfection than the Sheraton Krabi. It is perfectly possible to combine a stay at both properties and fly into HKT and our of KBV or vice versa (we flew to and from KBV). The drive betwen resorts takes 2 to 2.5 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.