Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Charged For a Platinum Upgrade at US Grant Hotel San Diego

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged For a Platinum Upgrade at US Grant Hotel San Diego

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Welcome to FlyerTalk! I'm not sure what kind of "extras" you're expecting - honestly, it's VERY rare that as a Platinum you get "extras" in your room; it's not the norm. So perhaps some expectation setting is due here? Sounds like you received an upgraded room which is part of the T&Cs for Platinum members.

The sticky and the FAQs will give you more information about *wood. Glad to see you post and welcome to the FT Community! Should you have any questions, feel free to PM (private message) either of the mods for this forum.

ldsant
*wood Moderator
Old Oct 2, 2007, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by ldsant
Welcome to FlyerTalk! I'm not sure what kind of "extras" you're expecting - honestly, it's VERY rare that as a Platinum you get "extras" in your room; it's not the norm. So perhaps some expectation setting is due here? Sounds like you received an upgraded room which is part of the T&Cs for Platinum members.

The sticky and the FAQs will give you more information about *wood. Glad to see you post and welcome to the FT Community! Should you have any questions, feel free to PM (private message) either of the mods for this forum.

ldsant
*wood Moderator
When I was gold and since I was platinum, I have always been acknowledged as such at checkin. I have always been given something; even if it was a coupon for 10% off dinner at the onsite restaurant. As a platinum guest, I have been given a card or letter from the GM normally with some type of offerrings, discounts, and or gift. I was not given an upgraded room. My room was standard and in fact my view was of some ACs and antennas from my 3rd floor room facing inward. I did contact Starwood Customer Service last night and filed a complaint for my stay. The person that I spoke with all but verified that most of my stay was totally unacceptable as a platinum guest (no room upgrade- view or size, no welcome letter / gift / or acknolegement, no room cleaning, etc.). I told the rep on the phone that I am not looking for anything at this point; my only concern is that future platinum guests do not have a similar stay in the future!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 1:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by EquityMind
Thanks William,

I was contacted by the Management Staff at The Grant Hotel - they are evaluating the billing discrepancies and the upgrade upsell situation. I'll report back here when I get a response.
EquityMind, what was the response from the U.S. Grant Hotel?
Old Feb 26, 2008, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Starwood SPG Platinum, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by DivMiler
EquityMind, what was the response from the U.S. Grant Hotel?
I was finally contacted by management and initially offered 5,000 pts. which they said was enough for a free stay at a Starwood property. When I indicated that 5,000 pts would not get me a free stay at this hotel or its equivalent (cat 5) nor had I received the billing discrepancy, they came back with additional points that would indeed get me another free night at a cat 5. plus a credit for the amount of the final bill discrepancy.

In other words, because I was charged the additional $400+, in my mind, it was the same as if I had went and purchased some Starpoints.

Ive had stays at other properties where it was a less than pleasant experience, but the staff did try and accommodate and made up with points, however at this property - it was the way in which I was treated and made to feel less than special rather than a privileged guest as a Platinum. We even felt funny walking past the check in desk upon leaving and entering the hotel. No hotel should make you feel like that.

I won't be back, they have lost a guest.

I do remain however, extremely loyal to the Starwood brand and this incident represents a 1% negative experience out of the 99% positive experiences I have experienced throughout the years. Ask any of my friends how I continuously go on and on about my travel experiences around the world and the way I am treated.

I'm just back from the Hotel Bretagne in Athens, Greece where I was upgraded to a wonderful suite and the staff was extremely gracious and courteous and made for a wonderful stay, all on a cash and points rate!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by EquityMind
Ive had stays at other properties where it was a less than pleasant experience, but the staff did try and accommodate and made up with points, however at this property - it was the way in which I was treated and made to feel less than special rather than a privileged guest as a Platinum. We even felt funny walking past the check in desk upon leaving and entering the hotel. No hotel should make you feel like that.

I won't be back, they have lost a guest.
Thanks for the quick reply, EquityMind.

I've stayed in most of the San Diego Starwood properties (except for the U.S. Grant and the Westin San Diego) and generally had a good time (as a SPG Gold). I was looking forward to a Platinum stay at the Grant in July for a convention (using Cash & Points, because the room rates are otherwise pretty high for my wallet). Most other comments have been positive.

I'll still be staying there, but I'll try to be hyperaware of any upsells. It is perhaps more disturbing that the management tried to offer you 5000 Starpoints with no mention of the billing discrepancy. It makes me wonder what do they try to pull with other guests?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:44 am

Such a different experience...

I just returned from a weekend stay at the US Grant Hotel in San Diego, CA.
After reading this thread, I'm very surprised on the upsell charges.

I made my reservation 24 hours before arrival. Upon arrival, I was told that I was preblocked for a Legacy Suite on the 8th Fl. When I got to the room, there was a tray of cheese, nuts, and fruit w/ crackers, and drinks on the sitting area coffee table. On it came a welcome card/message from the manager thanking me for staying at the US Grant.

From my experience, this hotel has been really good to me (as a platinum) and would definitely return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.