Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Four Pts Williamsburg VA - leaves Jan 31 2009 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Pts Williamsburg VA - leaves Jan 31 2009 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2006, 2:56 pm

Any recent stays

I've heard they did reodeling here. Has anyone stayed recently? I am going to meet my boyfriend's family in September in Williamsburg and am looking for central location and decent accomodations.

Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
I stayed at the hotel numerous times for business - it was pivotal for me in getting to Plat status. It is decent and the staff is friendly. It has an indoor pool and jacuzzi which was nice. Its location is great and for me on busiuess, it had wireless internet access which was necessary. The restaurant was average. It is not the fanciest place but was adequate for what I needed.

One drawback was that it was often overrun with school field trips though this may be the case with other hotels in the area. At least the staff always put us on the SPG floor to be away from the kids, which was good, there really were no issues unless you wanted to enjoy the pool area at the same time as they were. The only other minor annoyance was that I never got a room upgrade there and basically had the same room no matter as a Pref Plus, Gold, or Plat.

I am sure that there probably are nicer places in the area but it was fine for my purposes.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta: Platinum, Turkish: Gold (Star Alliance Gold); HHonors: Gold; Hyatt: Plat; SPG: Plat;
Any recent stays at Four Points, Williamsburg, VA?

I searched the forum and found the following reviews:

October 2004 - AVOID IT!
May 2005 - DIDN'T LOOK APPEALING
June 2006 - ON THE WORN OUT SIDE

Anybody know if they renovated or "fixed" things to make it better?

Anybody stay there recently?

ommoran had posted the same question in Fen 2007 in a general thread on Four Points, but I did not see any replies!

I have a reward stay booked for this Friday for 4,500 points - standard room not available, had to use 1,500 more for the 2-BR suite.

Should I be looking at other properties and avoid FP?

Thanks!

Last edited by id9795; Apr 10, 2007 at 11:41 am
Old Apr 12, 2007, 5:26 am

we stayed there last summer (july) for one night, it's was ok, no complains. but we just slept there and left in the morning.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:58 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
I did

...and my advice to you is "don't."

This property is worn, the suite was ill-kept (Cheerios, Kleenex and french fries on the floor) and smelled either musty or smoky, although supposedly it was a non-smoking suite. We tried airing it out to no avail.

The suites are quiet, albeit of very low-quality construction (did it used to be low-income housing? These "suites" reminded of nothing so much as that...) and security was absent: the main door lock was taped over so anyone could get inside the entryway to four units and conceivably enter a suite undetected. There's a kitchen in each one: I went o open the dishwasher door and the unit itself came out from under the counter. And no, it wasn't a portable. The windows have no screens and the hardware on two failed to allow them to stay open.

The main building didn't fare much better: literally hundreds of screaming, ill- (or better yet, un-) supervised kids running through the hallways, and an overall look that said "well-worn" and not, as indicated, "newly renovated."

Also, wi-fi only exists in the main (rooms) building, not in the suites. And having gone to the lobby to get access, it didn't work any too well there either: constanty dropped signal. Staff was nice, even as they couldn't be too helpful.

If you have lodging options, exercise them: there have to be better places to stay in or near Wiliamsburg.

BTW: We weren't that impressed by Colonial Williamsburg itself. It was expensive ($27 pp/day plu$ plu$ plu$) and none-too-heavily staffed for the number of visitors. Maybe the general quality of school kids has declined, or of their chaperones (it's been years since we did something like this in the US) but it was not enjoyable hearing the language used or seeing the rudeness kids show one another and total strangers. I must be getting old...
Old Aug 27, 2007, 12:01 pm

Programs: AMEX, Hyatt, AA
We stayed here in July on points. I was not impressed at all. Room had a damp smell. "Breakfast" was the worst free "breakfast" I have ever seen. A few muffins, water and apples. They said they were renovating. I hope so.
We ate dinner in the restaurant and thought that was ok.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 6:25 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairmans Preferred
Anyone stayed at the Four Points Sheraton Williamsburg VA?

I'm going to Colonial Williamsburg in about a month and wondered if anyone has stayed at the Four Point Sheraton in Williamsburg, VA? I'm a platinum member so was wondering what the rooms are like, etc.?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 27, 2008 at 9:03 pm Reason: Merged into existing thread unedited
Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:13 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
I stayed at this property several times last year. All posters are correct: property is worn, better quality properties in the area, this is on the very low end for *wood. Those are the cons.

Pros are as follows. Many of my stays last year were in the $65 - $75 per night range mid-week. Great rate especially if you need nights toward status. Rates this year seem to have climbed up to $90 - $100 range which is too high. I was upgraded to one of the apartments which are huge and have full kitchens. This upgrade should be pretty much a given for a plat unless you are there during the peak tourist season. Great location for Williamsburg.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 3:51 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by rwsatl
Rates this year seem to have climbed up to $90 - $100 range which is too high. I was upgraded to one of the apartments which are huge and have full kitchens.
So let's put this in perspective.... here's a guest telling us that $90 is too high a price per night for a suite upgrade (which includes a full kitchen and two bedrooms, for the record). That says it all, doesn't it?

I've never been here before, but the reviews have been dreadful for YEARS. I had a colleague who was in the Williamsburg area last week and his family spent two nights here and he declared it the worst hotel stay in the past 20 years. (And he's not the picky sort.)

Does Starwood REALLY need hotels that are so marginal that guests balk at a $90 night rate for a suite? This is the part of the *wood operation I've never understood. There are still too many incredibly crappy 4Pts out there!

Can anyone confirm whether or not this property has moved ahead with plans to renovate the total property? I have no patience left for properties that are simply run this poorly.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 6:55 am
Community Director Emerita

Bumped to show info provided by sc flier in another thread - this property leaves Starwood the end of January.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
Rates this year seem to have climbed up to $90 - $100 range which is too high. I was upgraded to one of the apartments which are huge and have full kitchens.
So let's put this in perspective.... here's a guest telling us that $90 is too high a price per night for a suite upgrade (which includes a full kitchen and two bedrooms, for the record). That says it all, doesn't it?
I guess I wasn't very clear. My view that the rate of $90 to $100 is too high for this property is based on a standard room since an upgrade is not automatic. The standard rooms are showing thier age and the halls are musty. That said, the apartment upgrades that I have gotten for the standard room price were a great deal.

I do understand other posters here who find this property below *wood standards ever for a 4 Pts. But since I'm in the area four to five times a year I will be sad to see it leave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.