Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Petra Marriott Hotel, Jordan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent

Did not see a Master Thread, so figured I'd start one:

This is a decent Marriott property located about 10 minutes from the entrance of Petra. Booked a standard room and was upgraded one category to a Mountain View room. Occupancy was high due to tour groups. The room is a standard US size, and is in pretty good shape. The bathroom has a standalone shower with a rainfall showerhead.

As this property doesn’t have an Executive Lounge, I was given breakfast in the restaurant plus 1000 points. Breakfast was of decent quality and offerings (both Middle Eastern and Western), and had a cook to order egg station. Nothing terribly special, but it does the job.

WiFi was 15Mbps. There is no gym. This property isn’t a bad place to stay if you want to stay loyal to Marriott or want to use points during high season, when base rates for my stay was 300 JOD/night.
yscleo, rny321 and atojbk like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:44 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Had eaten lunch there about 5 years ago when on a trip to Petra. Lunch was good and staff lovely. Considering a second trip to Jordan and will stay here
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:29 pm

Stayed there for 2 nights on points and cash last year slightly after the official merger. Was Bonvoy Gold but was recognized as Plat and was given free breakfast. On first day Petra had a flash flood and was closed. Hotel is nice enough to slip a paper through the door notifying the situation. We went to Wadi Rum instead. Used the hotel Turkish bath and was very relaxing.

Tried the dinner buffet and had dinner at the upstairs coffee shop. Food was good and it's a nice retreat from sometimes chaotic Petra.

Hotel offers free parking and it's gated. A peace of mind.

Will definitely return.
yscleo likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
It sounds like this is a slightly overpriced hotel and does not offer a lot of benefits for Marriott elites. Interesting how expensive it is. I was trying to book for November about 2 months out and half the dates were not available for points. As well cash rates were about $250 a night, or $500 for a family as families require 2 rooms.

Ricky who writes the Prince of Travel blog has a good thorough review which convinced me to stay at a closer hotel to Petra at a non-Marriott for $300 vs Marriott $500. Will report back when we return.
yscleo likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:46 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stayed here for 2 nights in May. Can confirm its a nice property.

Was given an upgraded room with my Gold status. Buffet Breakfast was quite good I'd say.

The view rooms are certainly nice. Here is a photo of the view.
yscleo likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Stayed here earlier this year. The bad:
1. Booked a mountain view room and this is what we got. No upgrade as a Titanium.
2. The bathroom was falling apart and had dreadful build quality.
3. The buffet was very limited and weak for both dinner and breakfast.
4. Only consider staying there if you have a car as it is so far out.
5. Needs renovation.

The good:
1. Comfortable quiet room.
2. Beautiful views of the mountains.
3. They do terrific pizza and have their own pizza oven. It stands out compared to the rest of the food. They do a terrible job promoting it.

On that trip we stayed at the Amman Marriott, the Petra Marriott and the Dead Sea Marriott resort. I would return to the other two properties without hesitation. The same cannot be said for this one.
yscleo likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:17 pm

Thanks everyone for your feedback on this property.

I've been trying to decide between three properties: The Marriott, Petra Guest House and Movenpick.

I think I'm going to go with Petra Guest House. It looks like it's the lowest quality of the three options, but it's half the price of Movenpick (~$160 vs. ~$400 per night for my dates), and the Marriott seems too far from town for my liking.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Condition One
This is a decent Marriott property located about 10 minutes from the entrance of Petra.
Please elaborate on "about 10 minutes from". I presume you don't mean on foot? If by car, is there ample parking at the entrance of Petra? Or do you mean using a shuttle (and if so, how often does it run)? Thanks.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Please elaborate on "about 10 minutes from". I presume you don't mean on foot? If by car, is there ample parking at the entrance of Petra? Or do you mean using a shuttle (and if so, how often does it run)? Thanks.
You need a car for this property unless you want to rely on the shuttle schedule. Walking isn't really practical or feasible, unless you want to walk up/down the mountain (on top of all the walking you will be doing in the ancient city).

There is ample parking at Petra entrance, but the advice is to arrive early to get a good space. We arrived for opening before 6am and it was empty. When we returned in the early afternoon it was full.

One other thing to note if driving is to be prepared for the Petra traffic. The narrow streets can get busy, don't rely on the Google Maps route. We got stuck in total gridlock and a local directed us all out - which was all quite intense.
sdsearch and yscleo like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrM2016
There is ample parking at Petra entrance, but the advice is to arrive early to get a good space. We arrived for opening before 6am and it was empty.
Thanks, and that "arrived [...] before 6 am" bring up another question: What are the breakfast hours at the Marriott? Are you able to get breakfast if you're going that early?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent
If you have your own car, the entrance to Petra is about a 10 minute drive away. The hotel runs shuttles, but I didn't note the times as I didn't use that service. If I recall correctly, I saw 4 frequencies in the mornings and 4 in the afternoon?

Breakfast starts at 6am. We would have breakfast when they opened and get to Petra well by 7am.

Best piece of advice is to book Petra properties EARLY during peak season. Hotels were essentially fully booked 3 months out (the Movenpick was my first choice). I snagged the last rooms at Aicha Memories Camp in Wadi Rum too. The Marriott released award inventory closer to my date of arrival, so I'm glad I was able to switch my paid reservations to awards.
yscleo likes this.

Last edited by Condition One; Oct 22, 2019 at 11:00 pm
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
I just returned from a trip to Jordan and in Petra I stayed in both the Marriott and Movenpick. I chose the Movenpick for the night before visiting Petra to ensure easy access early in the morning and stayed at Marriott on my way to next destination using points to save some cash.

The Marriott is fine but isolated and full of large bus groups. I was upgraded to mountain view room and thought it was in good condition and certainly very clean. I chose a wine & cheese snack as my welcome amenity and was still given full breakfast buffet. I had dinner in the Bedouin tent which was delicious and with the local musicians performing and the fire going, it was a real nice experience.

I wouldnt pay their cash rates and they are stingy with award availability but if you can get it, youd have a fine place to stay.
yscleo likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by dc2005b
I just returned from a trip to Jordan and in Petra I stayed in both the Marriott and Movenpick. I chose the Movenpick for the night before visiting Petra to ensure easy access early in the morning and stayed at Marriott on my way to next destination using points to save some cash.

The Marriott is fine but isolated and full of large bus groups. I was upgraded to mountain view room and thought it was in good condition and certainly very clean. I chose a wine & cheese snack as my welcome amenity and was still given full breakfast buffet. I had dinner in the Bedouin tent which was delicious and with the local musicians performing and the fire going, it was a real nice experience.

I wouldnt pay their cash rates and they are stingy with award availability but if you can get it, youd have a fine place to stay.
Just realized I booked the Movenpick for the wrong dates in an upcoming trip and now have the following options:
  • 1 night in Movenpick followed by 1 night in Marriott
  • 2 nights in Marriott

Was able to snag points availability for base rooms, which is nice as the Marriott's rates are 300 JOD+. The Movenpick is at 400 JOD+tax for jr suites.

Based on your experience, is it worth the higher rate / add'l hassle of checking out again for the one night in the Movenpick? Or should we stay with the Marriott for both days? Will have a car and am Marriott Platinum, if that helps, but think the hotel is almost sold out for my travel dates so I'm not expecting any upgrades.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Dec 22, 2019 at 8:02 pm
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Petra Marriott Hotel

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.