Search

New SPG website -- pre-launch comments

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:05 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Given Continental's rather unforunate experience during the launch of their website overhaul, I would have expected (or perhaps hoped) that SPG might have come to Flyertalk and invited a select group of members who are long-time, established customers with some IT experience to beta test the new site for a reasonable amount of time before public release.
LOL. You mean like the last time we re-launched the site?

I hope the new site launches without major glitches, but I still don't understand why a company would decline to take advantage of free live beta testing and useful feedback - before the whole world hits the new site.
I guess because we've been there, done that, and have the t-shirt to prove it.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:17 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Well, I hope it goes better than the last relaunch, which has been giving me problems up to right now. Maybe it’s because I’m Mac and have set cookie preferences a certain way, but I have always had some sort of problem with the site whether using Safari or using Firefox: only parts of a page would appear and not disappear whenever I cursored over it, getting caught in endless loops of cookie verification, and on and on. I would frequently just go back and forth between Safari and Firefox, copying page URL’s so that I could get past the bits that always got in the way. No, I never wrote them about it ‘cause I never read anything about them here - should I’ve checked the “Report Web Site Problems” thread? - but managed to make my way thru.

So, Starwood, break a leg on the launch. I’ll be seeing you tomorrow.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Quite frankly no - for this type of website there is NOT another source of qualified, motivated and capable beta testers who can put a new site through its paces as close to real-world public use as possible.

If they tested with live customers, it would have been posted or discovered here at FT. My use of the word 'decline' doesn't necessarily mean they refused offers (perhaps they did, perhaps they didn't), but refers to their lack of an offer or a decision made not to use FT as a beta testing source.

Either way, not doing it is a missed opportunity
As I've said before: I made a presentation to the "web gurus" that summarized many of the common issues we've talked about in the old sticky while offering suggestions for improvements.

On one hand, Lurker was kind enough to take me up on my offer to speak to the gurus, but on the other hand the "gurus" did not follow-up or otherwise engage me on the redesign. While I can't speak for everyone on FT, I thought I was a good representative as well as a heavy user of spg.com and a loyal customer. Total missed opportunity on their end and an experience that has soured my opinion of a brand I admire.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nroscoe
Total missed opportunity on their end and an experience that has soured my opinion of a brand I admire.
every company has their good departments and bad departments.

at starwood, perhaps the brand people (and the customer service folks) are on the ball. the rest of the company, who knows?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by nroscoe
Total missed opportunity on their end and an experience that has soured my opinion of a brand I admire.
To be honest, I suspect that not many other companies of Starwood's size have responded by saying "oh good, one of our millions of customers thinks he can tell us everything we need to know about our web site - let's invite him to all of our meetings and fully engage in everything he says" when such a proposition is made.

Heck, how many would even listen once, in person? Few, I suspect.

Btw, Amex is now proclaiming "INTRODUCING THE NEW SPG.COM!" under my SPG Amex account summary. The linked site looks the same to me.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Starwood... what I truly want is to be able to use SPG.com "glitch free" while using the Safari browser on my iMac.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by CPRich
To be honest, I suspect that not many other companies of Starwood's size have responded by saying "oh good, one of our millions of customers thinks he can tell us everything we need to know about our web site - let's invite him to all of our meetings and fully engage in everything he says" when such a proposition is made.
CPRich: your scarcasim aside, maybe you haven't followed my story in the this or other threads? They took me up on my offer to do a PowerPoint presentation. And the "gurus" on the call were at the VP, Director and Manager level in many areas of the web division. Just because I gave the presentation I did not expect to be invited to every meeting or propose to know everything. What I did expect was some sort of follow-up, and at least some engagement. I called & emailed them reminding them that the "spg.com issues thread" keeps growing without fixes or response by the "gurus" to no avail. I didn't even get referred to a low level tech or CSR person to help troubleshoot my own constant errors.

Then, about a month ago, I was finally given a look at the same finished pages that have been previewed/promoted but thats it, no real solicitation of feedback. Again, total missed opportiunity on Starwood's end.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:05 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Starwood... what I truly want is to be able to use SPG.com "glitch free" while using the Safari browser on my iMac.
Amen. Amen. Amen.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Not to promote another chain but I was on the road this week and was able to book a room for a Holiday Inn Express at mobile.ICHotels.com on my BlackBerry 7130. What are the odds of getting that capability via spg.com?
Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I'm waiting. New spg.com....come out, come out wherever you are!

Last edited by KENNECTED; Jul 20, 2007 at 6:05 am
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Surprise! It's not up!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Jul 20, 2007 at 8:34 am
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
(ummm.....i told ya'll so? )
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:11 am

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
I like the way Cheap Elite put it...

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:29 am

Although I am a Starwood fan, I think we may be getting a bit emotional over a hotel web site.

Last edited by TTT103; Jul 20, 2007 at 7:34 am
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Hopefully it isn't too late () to request that they fix the bug where you can't see your reservation after it has been upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.