Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Westin Trianon Palace, Versailles leaves Jan 15, 2009 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Trianon Palace, Versailles leaves Jan 15, 2009 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2005, 9:17 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I had just booked a points room in the Palace building, actually a jr suite. This place is funny, 10k for a Pavillion room, which I understand is horrible, 11k for deluxe in the Palace building or 11.5k for a jr suite in the palace. From the reviews the Palace building is light years better, odd that it is so few additional points.

I just called back to ask about this rate 155 and the possibility of using additional points to upgrade to the Palace building. It's possible only you have to wait until 5 days out. So I booked a room and will try then to upgrade with points. This sounds like a place where it isnt worth the gamble of relying on a Platinum upgrade.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 2:29 am

I stayed there end of September, just for one night, and this hotel is definitely great !!!
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Joelle
I stayed there end of September, just for one night, and this hotel is definitely great !!!
Which section did you stayed in? The Palace or the Pavillion?

I will be visiting your fair city in December, and my first stop will be the Trianon, before moving to the Hilton Arc de Triomphe.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 8:47 am

We stayed in the Palace wing. Husband had to attend a convention there and they nicely gave us a nice room on a high floor with the view on the Versailles gardens (I should say "Park"). Unfortunately it was raining on that day....
Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:08 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Another Review

In the midst of a one night stay here as a getaway from the city while on a long business trip thru Europe. I had read about the Palace vs. Pavillion and so I called SPG Plat line and made a points reservation that was guaranteed in the Palace building. It was 11,500 points and was classed as a junior suite. Upon arrival we were told we were upgraded to a full suite on the third floor. Check in was very efficient and polite, we selected a bottle of wine for the amenity (contrary to previous poster's experience we received amenity even on points stay). We were given a range of options for points or cash for some options during our stay, we picked a 34Euro package that includes internet, a movie and one breakfast.

We walked up to our room to get a feel for the property instead of taking the elevator. The Palace building is large and has one long hallway on each floor. It's fairly elegant inside wtih grand stair cases, but I didnt feel overwhelmed, nice but not that over the top. I guess I was expecting over the top though. I have stay in other Chateau in france and most were more elegant, contained more period piece furniture, etc.

Our room faces E, maybe a bit SE, so toward the courtyard between the two buildings. As a result we have a view of the Pavillion building. But being on the third floor we also have a nice view of the top of the Versailles palace off to our right/toward the south (I'm sitting on the edge of one of 3 of our balconies right now watching the sun rise reflecting off of the Palace). The view out the opposite side looks quite nice too (from staircases you can see this). I suspect the rooms directly above reception might have a better and clearer view of the Palace. Especially up on the top floors. I'd shoot for one of these next time.

The room (or I should say two rooms) itself is a bit of a letdown for us. The overall decor is not impressive (quality, appearance, etc), and things are a bit worn. Some of this may be personal preferences-- I really don't like the light blue colored carpet (but it certainly hasnt aged well either). The room feels like a big empty room, unlike other Chateaux I've stayed in where you were surrounded by authentic (even if replica) furniture. The bathroom is not at all impressive. It has a fairly cheap white ceramic tile and the installation is not top or even average quality (there are mis-cuts of the tile filled by big seams of caulk, etc). Overall, this isn't an artisan bathroom. It's big, has a separate shower and bath and big sinks and that is nice. But this is not a lux bathroom by any stretch of the imagination. The same can be said of the bedroom and sitting areas. Acceptable, but not luxurious.

Other signs of wear are visible from the three balconies we have access to. The outside of the building is beautiful, but chipping paint and stains are apparent in more than a few places.

Some other thoughts, I havent checked out the Pavillion building, but it's a shorter rectangular building made primarily of brick but in a way that it fits in ok on the grounds. Kind of looks like a dorm building though now that I look at it. We'll try the breakfast later this morning and I'll report back on that.

As far as location and feel, this property is exactly what we were looking for. The village is actually quite big. It's about a 10 minute walk from the hotel to the start of the village and then there are about 5 or 6 main streets with shops/retaurants and several cross streets as well. There is one main area where we found the bars open late last night (able to find food at 11pm). It's warm and sunny here this week (70's) and quite pleasant at night, so the outside seating was open at most places last night. During the day we found the open markets others have mentioned. Overall the village is more than I was expecting. This makes the hotel a bit of the best of both worlds. The hotel itself feels very isolated, but the village is hopping and has everything you should need (several pharmacies, bakeries, etc).

The hotel is right next to the gates into the Versailles palace grounds, this is really nice. We're here over the weekend so it's quite busy, but very nice to walk out the hotel turn right and be on the grounds within a minute.

As far as transportation, we came from CDG as I had a quick day of business in Stockholm on friday. I had heard the taxi fare would be high and I also didnt want to deal with the train hassles (or delay as we wanted to take advantage of the beautiful day). I hunted around in the terminal near baggage claim for one of those guys asking if i needed a taxi (we call them gypsy cabs in NY). He wasnt a licensed taxi, but I figure this is what I needed to get a good deal. We negotiated a 100 Euro price including tip. I thought this was reasonable, especially once we got here, it's not a short trip.

Overall I will say this, the property is not more than a category 4 and it is definitely in the lower to mid end at that. But it's a great place to get away from the city and a wonderful way to see Versailles.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 11:57 am
sy7

Originally Posted by stephem
As far as transportation, we came from CDG as I had a quick day of business in Stockholm on friday. I had heard the taxi fare would be high and I also didnt want to deal with the train hassles (or delay as we wanted to take advantage of the beautiful day). I hunted around in the terminal near baggage claim for one of those guys asking if i needed a taxi (we call them gypsy cabs in NY). He wasnt a licensed taxi, but I figure this is what I needed to get a good deal. We negotiated a 100 Euro price including tip. I thought this was reasonable, especially once we got here, it's not a short trip.

Overall I will say this, the property is not more than a category 4 and it is definitely in the lower to mid end at that. But it's a great place to get away from the city and a wonderful way to see Versailles.
You might have overpaid for the taxi. We also arrived at CDG and just took one of the taxis from the taxi stand, and the cost was 70 euro (~65 euro on the meter, and then rounded up for tip). I had called the hotel beforehand to ask about costs, and they had said it would be ~70 euro for the trip from the airport. (I then cancelled the shuttle-service I booked, which had quoted me a 115 euro price.) Of course, there was very little traffic (except once you got to Versailles) since this was a weekend, but I think even on a weekday the route doesn't go through central Paris and you'd bypass most of the traffic.

Returning to central Paris, we had the hotel call a taxi, and the rate was a flat 50 euro even though the distance was only about half that from the airport. I'm assuming this is to cover the return trip to Versailles since it is unlikely for the taxi to pick up a passenger for the trip back.

Anyway, I agree with your review of the hotel. It isn't a 5* luxury experience, and the rates reflect that, but it is still a nice hotel in a great location. You can't stay any closer to the palace, and being literally steps away from the palace gardens is a big plus. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Have they closed the Cafe Trianon restaurant? It indicates is closed on the web site, but was wondering if they're putting a new one in its place.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 6:57 am

Westin Trianon Palace - Versailles (Master Thread)

Looked at the Trianon which is near Versille but wondering if there is any transportation into Paris. Also reviews of the property.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
RER rail service is available from ~Versaille into the city. If you buy a metro/RER multi-day zone pass, be sure it covers the needed zones (or buy a ticket separately for that journey).
Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FlyerTalk's handy "Search" feature reveals several existing threads on this property.

Here is an existing one that has several reviews (with photos) and transport into Paris options and info:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402657
Old Feb 4, 2006, 1:22 am

Programs: FB plat MM sen
You can find all of the public transportation information in Paris on the following link: http://www.ratp.info/informer/anglais/index.php
Hotel is just in the center of Versailles and had at the time when I was there one of the *** starts Michelin restaurant, which equal very good and very expensive. But if you will just walk to the main market place (like 5 minutes) walk you will find great place to eat and drink, always full of people. Have a great stay
Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:25 am

Programs: SQ PPS, Marriott Life Gold
Trianon review

Originally Posted by SFOAmdam
Looked at the Trianon which is near Versille but wondering if there is any transportation into Paris. Also reviews of the property.
Have stayed there a few times in the past year, both on points and on my own dime. Had great upgrades as a platinum on both occassions with instant recognition and a bottle of wine as an amenity (wine quality varies). Ask the concierge to make restaurant bookings even in the vicinity as you tend to get better service and tables even at cafes/bistros. Versailles can get dead quite quickly at night if you are looking for a drink etc though.

I think upto March you are still in the low season and I would expect an empty-ish hotel with lower staffing levels. The Palace part of the hotel is great with Westin beds and baths with Heavenly showers (in some rooms). Its fantastic for walking into the Versailles palace (petit Trianon, grand Trianon) from right next to the hotel if you like that kind of stuff.

On one of the stays, we were commuting into Paris each day using the RER. RER is convenient, especially once you are in Paris itself. Must warn you though that the walk to the station is a good 15 minutes or so and can be a bother on the way back at the end of a long walking day (no cabs at the station available at night back to the hotel). A taxi to Paris (1er arrond) is around Euro 80....rentals are also not the way to go given the parking/driving headaches.

Stay if you are a die hard SPG fan or can do with the points/credits. At a rate of Euro 150 or lower (available now online), the hotel is great. For higher rates, I'd try more conveniently located properties for a break in Paris!
Old Feb 8, 2006, 4:59 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Travelzoo: Trianon Palace US$149 in Mar, Apr, Jul, Aug

For most folks, this is even better than using Cash and Points. Here's the deal...
$149 -- Top-Rated French Hotel in Versailles, 60% OFF *
Versailles, France
Travel dates: Mar 1-Apr 30 & Jul 1-Aug 31

Stay in what Conde Nast recently rated as the #4 hotel in all of France for nearly 60% OFF the regular price. For a limited time, you can stay in a standard Pavillion room in Versailles’s finest hotel, The Trianon Palace & Spa in Versailles for just $149 (€124) per room per night.
This offer also includes a FREE buffet breakfast, access to the fitness center, pool and sauna and 10% off all spa treatments. Plus, for an extra $50 (€42) you can upgrade your room to stay in the Palace itself!

This deal is available for stays between March 1 through April 30 and July 1 through August 31 and must be booked by February 15.

This historical and opulent hotel is set within eight acres of lush gardens and borders the Chateau de Versailles itself. It also boasts being just a short trip (10 miles) from Paris.

Blackout dates: May 1 through June 30.

How to book: For more information and to book directly with The Trianon Palace & Spa please click here and follow the booking prompts. Alternatively, please call 00 33 1 30 84 51 20 and quote TZOO.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sc flier
For most folks, this is even better than using Cash and Points. Here's the deal...
$149 -- Top-Rated French Hotel in Versailles, 60% OFF *
Versailles, France
Travel dates: Mar 1-Apr 30 & Jul 1-Aug 31

Stay in what Conde Nast recently rated as the #4 hotel in all of France for nearly 60% OFF the regular price. For a limited time, you can stay in a standard Pavillion room in Versailles’s finest hotel, The Trianon Palace & Spa in Versailles for just $149 (€124) per room per night.
This offer also includes a FREE buffet breakfast, access to the fitness center, pool and sauna and 10% off all spa treatments. Plus, for an extra $50 (€42) you can upgrade your room to stay in the Palace itself!

This deal is available for stays between March 1 through April 30 and July 1 through August 31 and must be booked by February 15.

This historical and opulent hotel is set within eight acres of lush gardens and borders the Chateau de Versailles itself. It also boasts being just a short trip (10 miles) from Paris.

Blackout dates: May 1 through June 30.

How to book: For more information and to book directly with The Trianon Palace & Spa please click here and follow the booking prompts. Alternatively, please call 00 33 1 30 84 51 20 and quote TZOO.
Yup, a surprisingly good deal. If you value the free buffet breakfast, it probably is a better deal than cash & points.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
This would be a significant historic place to stay for Hungarians.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.