Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Westin Trianon Palace, Versailles leaves Jan 15, 2009 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Trianon Palace, Versailles leaves Jan 15, 2009 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
I also had an excellent stay here on cash and points. The customer service by email was impressive, they provided lots of useful information afterwards.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
I had a suite reservation there on points for two nights of our upcoming honeymoon (24K/night). I received an email stating that the hotel would honor my points reservation. However, I decided to cancel, as I didn't want to risk that the new management wouldn't want to put me in the 1,000 sq. ft. seafront suite I reserved. I opted for a Junior Suite for those two nights at the Westin Trianon Palace, Versailles, which seems a pretty good deal at 14.5K/night.
How did you get to specify that you wanted the junior suite for extra points??

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Oct 17, 2008 at 1:21 pm Reason: Moved from Juan les Pins thread so that folks staying at Westin Trianon will know they can use points for a jr suite
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by blase
How did you get to specify that you wanted the junior suite for extra points??
The Junior Suite at the Westin Trianon Palace is available as a "Specialty Select" award, I believe. It's two steps up from a standard (12K/night, offseason) Cat 5 Award, but isn't technically categorized as a Suite Award (which would be 24K/night). Great deal, IMO for a 675 sq. ft. Junior Suite in the Palace Wing that goes for about $800+/night.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:01 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
The Junior Suite at the Westin Trianon Palace is available as a "Specialty Select" award, I believe. It's two steps up from a standard (12K/night, offseason) Cat 5 Award, but isn't technically categorized as a Suite Award (which would be 24K/night). Great deal, IMO for a 675 sq. ft. Junior Suite in the Palace Wing that goes for about $800+/night.
Oh, so it's part of the new suite option w/points that Starwood's offering now. I didn't know that Paris was one of the options. Would you happen to have a link?
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by blase
Oh, so it's part of the new suite option w/points that Starwood's offering now. I didn't know that Paris was one of the options. Would you happen to have a link?
No. It's nothing new. There are sub-categories within standard reward categories. Though a Cat 5 is usually 12,000/night in the offseason for a standard room, a specialty room is 13,500/night (IIRC), and specialty select is 14,500/night. Similar subcategories exist for other categories (as I know I have booked a specialty select at the Le Meridien Limassol a few years back for 12,500/night, back when it was a Cat 4). I would imagine that if a hotel chooses to load rooms into such subcategories, which rooms they choose to load into those subcategories would be up to the hotels in question.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 9:35 am
Community Director Emerita

I understand that there are two restaurants run by Gordon Ramsay:
  • La Veranda
  • Gordon Ramsay au Trianon

Do either or both of them have prix fixe menus for lunch? If so, how much are they? I could not find them listed on their respective websites.

How is the food experience?

Has anyone eaten at L'Angelique in Versailles? If so, what did you think of it?

Also, we will be moving to the hotel the final night of our trip from central Paris. Which would be more economical:

1) Take train to Versailles from central Paris, then taxi to hotel. Take taxi to CDG following morning.

2) Rent car in central Paris, drive to Versaille, then drive to CDG the following morning.

My husband is a very competent city driver and we have a GPS system, so the issue of driving out of Paris doesn't concern me. I'm simply wondering how the cost of one alternative compares to the other.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 30, 2008 at 10:31 am Reason: Returned to ask transport question
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
  • La Veranda

Do either or both of them have prix fixe menus for lunch? If so, how much are they? I could not find them listed on their respective websites.

How is the food experience?

Has anyone eaten at L'Angelique in Versailles? If so, what did you think of it?

Also, we will be moving to the hotel the final night of our trip from central Paris. Which would be more economical:
La Veranda and Gordon Ramsay are right next to each other (we only ate at La Veranda, which is the more casual restaurant). La Veranda was very good, though the menu doesn't have as many choices as you usually see at nice restaurants. The wine list was impressive, and they were very helpful (suggested an excellent Sancerre that was not too pricey). You can also eat outside at La Veranda, which is an excellent choice in nice weather. Their desserts look great, though we've never had room to try them.

Our best meal was at the Bistrot du Boucher, which turns out to be a small chain, but which we really liked. It's fairly casual but very popular among the locals, and for good reasons. Classic bistrot fare, done very well. There are many restaurants on this same square, so if it's crowded or for some reason doesn't appeal to you there are lots of other options.

I haven't driven to the hotel, but you should be aware that the trains take about 40 minutes to Gare St Michel. The train costs almost nothing (I think it was a few euros). The train station in Versailles is perhaps half a mile from the hotel, and a pleasant walk if the weather is good. I think the taxi from the hotel to CDG was something like 70 euros (not much more than going to the center of Paris, since you don't have to fight the traffic). However, like most high-end hotels by default if you order a taxi you will get something more like a private car, without a meter - be sure to ask about the rate. On the plus side, they seem to always take credit cards.

It's a great hotel, and a very pleasant town to explore.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:58 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
SD1K---

The Gordon Ramsey restos were closed the day we were there,so we opted for the regular restaurant which was also very good.

TH had the following suggestion for you.

Take the RER to Versailles and pick up a car at the train station. The rental car place is in the forecourt and very good service. The hotel has a lot of parking in front of it, at least it did when we arrived there later in the day.

I love this hotel. I cannot say enough good things about it.

Enjoy the Potager du Roi and Marie's sheep.

lala
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:10 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Gordon Ramsey as in the chef in the reality show?

Wow..

[email protected]
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
  • La Veranda

Voici la carte et les menus pour le restaurant Gordon Ramsay au Trianon:
http://www.gordonramsay.com/grautrianon/menus/

et pour le restaurant La Veranda:
http://www.gordonramsay.com/laveranda/menus/

Bon Appétit!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:11 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Question half-board or no half-board this is the question

Has anyone booked and stayed on the special half board rate / offer:

Indulge yourself with our great half-board offers which include:

* accommodation in one refreshing room
* continental breakfast
* 3 course set lunch or dinner, excluding beverages

Lunch or dinner will be served at “La Veranda” our brasserie overlooking the outer gardens of the Palace of Versailles.

Is it worth it?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Gordon Ramsey as in the chef in the reality show?

Wow..

[email protected]
oh yes indeed
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:24 am

Programs: US Silver, HH Gold
Just read on SPG.com that the Westin Trianon is leaving the SPG program as of January 15, 2009. Bummer as we were trying to do a C&P there next November!

Anyone know what it's turning into?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Unhappy

If it goes on so fast, there will be no more spg hotel in france next year...

Last edited by Forstbetrieb; Dec 2, 2008 at 8:48 am
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:41 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by lauti
Just read on SPG.com that the Westin Trianon is leaving the SPG program as of January 15, 2009.
And my stay is later in January. **sigh**

I had looked at special conditions, but hadn't seen this. It is at the very end of quite a long list of special conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.