Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any suggestions for Stamford CT?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2007, 8:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tenmoc
Back at the Sheraton Stamford for the second time in a week. Had to grab the $89 rate one more time. But boy oh boy am I glad I didnt pay more than that.

When I arrived about 5pm Friday I was given a smoking room. And then I was told because I didnt specifically book a non smoking room that not mentioned means smoking. I was very upset with this but stayed calm. Its not the FD agents fault. I asked if any, and i mean ANY, non smoking room is available for the night. Quickly told no and sent on my way.

Go upstairs and walk in (same room as last week but up 1 floor, what makes these people think this is a preferred room?????) and get slammed with a blast of stench. I wait 5 minutes before heading downstairs to talk to someone else. Being only 25 minutes from home and nothing but a mattress run i'm not staying in a smoking room. I'd run home and just consider it a cost of getting gold back.

Downstairs I come to find that although they are running close to full there are in fact non smoking rooms, just not spg preferred rooms, available. They arent clean yet and there will be a short wait. Wait was 30 minutes. Not a big deal at all.

I did not complain because i am not a big complainer unless I don't get a solution that works for me. In this case I did get the room that was non smoking. So what, it cost me a robe and a small bottle of water....

I am just upset that I was told nothing was available instead of being told yes we can get you something but you'll have to wait. At least give me the option is all I'm saying.

Sound issues in the room between rooms and from 2-430am we were kept awake by partiers coming back and yelling. Annoying? Yes. But we made the most of it getting to talk about things for a while.

Just posting issues here. And how things were resolved so others can know ahead of time.

I personally would not pay more than the $89 rate to stay here again. And had 500 bonus points to it at that.

Interesting note was an email I got ahead of the stay by a day offering me internet, 2 breakfasts and parking for $30. I refused as we had breakfast plans elsewhere but might have just to check it out.
Ive been put into a reg room w/o an Upgrade numerous times. I did ask and did get that bottle of water and a robe also. As usually I make use of the pool/hot-tub I like to be able to throw the robe on over my trunks. Ive never been told no robe. Try asking for it the next time
Old Jul 1, 2007, 8:06 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by craz
Ive been put into a reg room w/o an Upgrade numerous times. I did ask and did get that bottle of water and a robe also. As usually I make use of the pool/hot-tub I like to be able to throw the robe on over my trunks. Ive never been told no robe. Try asking for it the next time
Thanks. I wasnt saying I couldnt get it. Just that I didnt ask as once they finally got me the non smoking room I was as happy as I would be.

I do like the pool area here at this hotel.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 2:19 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Westin Stamford Update?

Has the hotel kept up its standards?
A peek at Trip Advisor turned up appalling reviews of rude staff, unchanged soiled linens and photos to substantiate some of the serious claims.
Is it really that bad?
I use to like the hotel years ago
Seriously considering other choices where I can buy in trust......
Old Jul 6, 2007, 9:41 am

Programs: starwood plat, delta plat
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Has the hotel kept up its standards?
A peek at Trip Advisor turned up appalling reviews of rude staff, unchanged soiled linens and photos to substantiate some of the serious claims.
Is it really that bad?
I use to like the hotel years ago
Seriously considering other choices where I can buy in trust......
There is a Westin in Stamford as well.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:28 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by prosen
There is a Westin in Stamford as well.
Thats what I was asking about in my post
See title
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:51 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Just stayed at the Westin Stamford for $99 AAA weekend rate. Upgraded to club room - although the club was not open (I think). The front desk staff were friendly, but the valet staff was slow and doesn't do much. I was walking my puppy, and they didn't even lift a finger to help with the door. There is a dedicated express elevator for the club floors.

Room was decorated with standard Westin amenities - heavenly bed, lounge chaise, heavenly shower. My partner found a number of long hair strand on the far end wall of the shower - carelessness of the housekeeping staff.

The heavenly dog bed and treats were not set up in the room. Then again, they didn't charge the pet charge (yet), so we'll call it even. Valet is $10/night, and again, it's sloooooooooow.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 9:40 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
While normally I'd always book Starwood first, I've gotten into the habit of staying at the group/bus. hotel for annual visits to Stamford - the full svc. Marriott - and have been most pleased with the prop., can-do staff, food quality/price and location. Esp. given the concerns voiced over SPG props. here, I'd plan to stick with M******t if I have to return to Stamford.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:17 am
Suspended

Is there a parking charge at the Westin Stamford, or is free and safe parking available nearby?

Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Is there a parking charge at the Westin Stamford, or is free and safe parking available nearby?

Thanks!
There is free parking under the hotel (clearly marked as you come up the drive) that requires an elevator to the lobby, then a walk down a hall and across the lobby to then access another elevator to the guest rooms (and as noted above, a dedicated club elevator).

I just stayed there last week and it should be noted that they're doing construction and updates to rooms (even though there was nothing under the "announcements" on their spg site website ). It starts at 8am and the front desk, while sympathetic, had no idea where they would be working on any day and so couldn't guarantee you a quiet room. 30% off the night's rate seems to be their compensation for the inconvenience of the noise.

I've stayed there before and have to say I was rather disappointed last week. The front desk staff was most gracious (more than I recall in the past) and Tony in the club lounge was most hospitable, but the room was standard but a mess. There was a stain on the wall when you entered, some spackling that had not been sanded or re-painted in the bathroom, and a leak of some sort around the window that required stapling the wallpaper to the wall! (Yes, I have pictures!)

One of the four treadmills was broken, as well as one of the two tv's over them. The channel buttons on the working tv had been removed and the staff had no idea about a remote so there was no changing the channel possible. As well, the A/C was broken and so the workout room, which adjoined the pool, was as hot and humid as you'd expect next to the pool. Everyone was complaining and nobody was happy.

So, a good hotel in the past but seems to have a lot of work to do to get back to Westin standards. I'd think twice before I paid much over $150 to stay there. Stapled wallpaper? Really? How 4Points!
Old Aug 1, 2007, 4:35 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
That underground parking at the Westin Stamford is in sad shape. In fact it's downright filthy and scary. I would not want to walk alone down there from my car to the entranceway, and I'm 6' 230 lbs. I'm very surprised that this property manages to retain the Westin brand....
Old Aug 1, 2007, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Thanks.

FYI: $79.00 SPG online rates for Fri and Sat. check-ins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.