Any suggestions for Stamford CT?

Old May 1, 2007, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, BA Gold
Any suggestions for Stamford CT?

Hi,

I have a meeting next week in Stamford and plan to bring the wify along. Any recommendations where to stay? The Westin or Sheraton? Or should I drive into NYC?

Thanks for your help!

Steve
Old May 1, 2007, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Flemish,

The following is from 2005. It may help. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...light=stamford

I'm a little search impaired tonight. Maybe a Moderator can find another thread to answer your question.

For what it's worth, www.tripadvisor.com likes the Sheraton better than the Westin.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g3...ut-Hotels.html
Old May 1, 2007, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Both havent gotten the best reviews.The 4 P 15 mins away in Norwalk doesnt offer too much more then a Motel 6.

Id say look at The Hyatt in next door Greenwich
Old May 1, 2007, 7:22 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
You can't beat the Sheraton on Cash and Points
Old May 1, 2007, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, BA Gold
Thanks guys. I decided to book the Sheraton Tarrytown which is 25 mins away. The Tarrytown is brandnew (opened in Feb 07) and got splendid reviews.
Old May 1, 2007, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
NO, no, no: not the Sheraton in Stamford. See my review at Starwoodlobby.com

I much prefer the Westin.

No experience in Tarrytown.

But, No, no, no for the Stamford Sheraton.
Old May 2, 2007, 11:39 am
Original Member

The Westin is a much better facility than the Sheraton, but the people that work at the Westin are REALLY SNOTTY. Not very nice at all.

For that reason alone I would choose the Sheraton.
Old May 2, 2007, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hreamer
The Westin is a much better facility than the Sheraton, but the people that work at the Westin are REALLY SNOTTY. Not very nice at all.

For that reason alone I would choose the Sheraton.

I like the Westin myself, but its located in a Corp Park, not really walkable to anything nor the best of neighborhoods to do any walking in or around.

The Sheraton isnt downtown but does have a couple of strip malls next to it. and in the 1 right next door a giant Stop & Shop Supermarket and Starbucks. So if not traveling alone ones other will have what to keep busy with for part of the day. Free wifi usually in Starbucks to boot.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 8:17 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
The Sheraton Stamford is getting some bad reviews here. I went to the lobby and read that too.

Wondering what kind of rates made you all think it was bad and if the rate matters to you.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: starwood plat, delta plat
Since when is there a Westin in Stamford? Parents are in Greenwich and I never noticed a Westin in neighboring Stamford... FYI the Stamford Sheraton is crap. The Greenwich Hyatt is awesome though. My high school prom was there, good times
Old Jun 23, 2007, 10:10 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
There's been a Westin in Stamford for at least 5 years. It's between I-95 and the railway line on the Old Greenwich side of town, in the Stamford Place office park.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
I wasnt thrilled with the Sheraton.

It wasnt horrible and with an $89 rate plus 500 points as part of rate (expires 30 June) I think it was ok. But the room was physically falling apart. Was specifically told my upgrade was a bottle of water and a robe. I was surprised that there was no upgrade of room class but they gave me what the t+c say. oh well.

I did not complain to anyone because I dont care that much. Just pointing things out here.

$6 for parking. And insanely expensive food.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 11:47 am

My suggestion for Stamford would be to ride Metro-North (or Amtrak) into NYC and stay there instead.

Or there's The Delamar in Greenwich...
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:58 am

Programs: starwood plat, delta plat
Originally Posted by blort
My suggestion for Stamford would be to ride Metro-North (or Amtrak) into NYC and stay there instead.

Or there's The Delamar in Greenwich...
For the money I would rather stay at The Homestead . Awesome restaurant, really luxuriously comfortable rooms.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:29 am

Back at the Sheraton Stamford for the second time in a week. Had to grab the $89 rate one more time. But boy oh boy am I glad I didnt pay more than that.

When I arrived about 5pm Friday I was given a smoking room. And then I was told because I didnt specifically book a non smoking room that not mentioned means smoking. I was very upset with this but stayed calm. Its not the FD agents fault. I asked if any, and i mean ANY, non smoking room is available for the night. Quickly told no and sent on my way.

Go upstairs and walk in (same room as last week but up 1 floor, what makes these people think this is a preferred room?????) and get slammed with a blast of stench. I wait 5 minutes before heading downstairs to talk to someone else. Being only 25 minutes from home and nothing but a mattress run i'm not staying in a smoking room. I'd run home and just consider it a cost of getting gold back.

Downstairs I come to find that although they are running close to full there are in fact non smoking rooms, just not spg preferred rooms, available. They arent clean yet and there will be a short wait. Wait was 30 minutes. Not a big deal at all.

I did not complain because i am not a big complainer unless I don't get a solution that works for me. In this case I did get the room that was non smoking. So what, it cost me a robe and a small bottle of water....

I am just upset that I was told nothing was available instead of being told yes we can get you something but you'll have to wait. At least give me the option is all I'm saying.

Sound issues in the room between rooms and from 2-430am we were kept awake by partiers coming back and yelling. Annoying? Yes. But we made the most of it getting to talk about things for a while.

Just posting issues here. And how things were resolved so others can know ahead of time.

I personally would not pay more than the $89 rate to stay here again. And had 500 bonus points to it at that.

Interesting note was an email I got ahead of the stay by a day offering me internet, 2 breakfasts and parking for $30. I refused as we had breakfast plans elsewhere but might have just to check it out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.