Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Everything you want to know about status at SPG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you want to know about status at SPG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:39 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by etsmyers
confused here.....

I made PLT for the first time in December. My card said expiration of 2/2010? Now as I lay here in the W at Scottsdale, I have my 25 stays. So now when does my status expire??
Dearest etsmyers,

Currently, your Platinum Status still expires end February 2010 but pretty soon once you reach the required number of eligible stays, it will be renewed/extended till end February 2011.

I have assumed that you are the "Myers" I have been corresponding with recently.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Apr 28, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
yes, thanks as always!
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:47 pm

What counts as starwood points.

I recently stayed at a St. Regis hotel in Punta Mita with my family and the bill was approximately $8,000.00. I signed up for the starwood promotion where you get three points for every dollar spent. I was told that all of the amount was not eligable for this promotion. They would not count some of the dining at the hotel, babysitters or taxes on the rooms. Mexico taxes are about 28 percent. Does this sound correct? I was under the impression that the points were awarded based on the total bill.

Thanks, for your help.
Phyllis
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Pfrohlich
I recently stayed at a St. Regis hotel in Punta Mita with my family and the bill was approximately $8,000.00. I signed up for the starwood promotion where you get three points for every dollar spent. I was told that all of the amount was not eligable for this promotion. They would not count some of the dining at the hotel, babysitters or taxes on the rooms. Mexico taxes are about 28 percent. Does this sound correct? I was under the impression that the points were awarded based on the total bill.

Thanks, for your help.
Phyllis
Was this booked through spg.com or pre-paid through a tour operator?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old May 2, 2009, 11:48 am

Is it possible to stay at two or more different properties on the same night and receive stay credits, night credits and points for each property? i.e If one is staying on a paid rate at hotel X and is also staying on paid rate at hotel Y on the same night.
Old May 2, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by johnsonb
Is it possible to stay at two or more different properties on the same night and receive stay credits, night credits and points for each property? i.e If one is staying on a paid rate at hotel X and is also staying on paid rate at hotel Y on the same night.
Asked over and over again. Most recently answered here...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post11649989

No. More than one stay/night credit is given only in extreme circumstances (such as having a room in one city before flying to another on a late flight), and it generally would have to be manually credited.

Points can be earned for both stays, though, IIUC.

I think that it's been discussed somewhere about what kind of credit is given for nested stays, but I don't remember the answer. Example: A 6-night stay in San Francisco with a 1-night stay at the Westin Verasa Napa on the third night.

Last edited by sc flier; May 2, 2009 at 12:39 pm
Old Jul 19, 2009, 6:48 am

Programs: BA GGL; SPG Plat; HH Diamond
Room reserved in my name

I have a reservation in my name and i will no longer be able to join my mate on this trip.

Must i cancel the reservation and re-book in his name? (not sure if its refundable)
Will he be able to check-in to a reservation made on my account?

I am Platinum, will it help him if he keeps my booking now that i'm not gonna be with him?
Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by arir
I have a reservation in my name and i will no longer be able to join my mate on this trip.

Must i cancel the reservation and re-book in his name? (not sure if its refundable)

I am Platinum, will it help him if he keeps my booking now that i'm not gonna be with him?
If you're not going, then then the booking is really for your travel companion, correct? I feel you should cancel and have your travel companion rebook. Read your conformation to see if it is refundable. If the rate is the issue, perhaps the PC can change the name/SPG number from you to your travel companion.

Others will say, add his name to the reservation as the second guest. This way he can check in without you being present and this way you still earn credit.

I say, to any gold/platinum elite, who suggests that, remember this when you check in to a hotel and no "upgrade" is available to you or you feel as though you need to haggle for an "upgrade".
Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
There are two issues: keeping the reserved rate, and upgrades/credit.

Suppose it's a non-cancellable (that is, no refund) rate of, say, $125; but the current rate is $250. Do you really think it's fair to make someone pay $375?

Rather, I'd suggest:

1. Add your mate to the reservation. (That should have been done initially, anyway.)

2. A day or two later, when you can view the reservation and see your mate on it, delete yourself from the reservation.

3. After that, change the SPG number on the reservation.

That way, no undeserved upgrades, and no unfair rate increases.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:22 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by arir

Hi arir,

If you do not want to cancel the reservation, you would have to add his name to the reservation.

If you are not able to make it for the stay, you will not receive any credit or Starpoints.

He will not receive any upgrade or Platinum benefits unless he is a Platinum member as well.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Jul 24, 2009, 9:25 am

Having stayed at all three properties also I concur with most opinions here;
Best: Westin Sydney - Great Staff, Great Hotel, Great Location
2nd: SOP - Similarly great Staff, Almost as great a Hotel, Good Location
4 Points - Average Staff, Average Hotel, Great Location

IMHO
Old Jul 27, 2009, 1:21 am

Programs: UA1K, SPG Plat
Platinum Upgrades

I have a question about upgrades to the best possible room, including Jr Suites. I am a platinum member and have been for the last 3 years. At the Westin Bellevue, where I've now stayed 7x this year, I have only ever been upgraded to a mini-suite once. I considered it luck of the draw, and always get upgraded to a 'deluxe king' even though it doesn't seem very deluxe.

At any rate, the last time I was there a colleague who wasn't even a general member got bumped to a mini suite and I just got a basic deluxe king. We stayed the same nights, so I'm confused about how 'best available' really works. Should I be asking for the "best" upgrade? Because there's no reason I can think of that a non-member, let alone when 'competing' with a platinum member, should have gotten a better room.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by UAMike73
I have a question about upgrades to the best possible room, including Jr Suites. I am a platinum member and have been for the last 3 years. At the Westin Bellevue, where I've now stayed 7x this year, I have only ever been upgraded to a mini-suite once. I considered it luck of the draw, and always get upgraded to a 'deluxe king' even though it doesn't seem very deluxe.

At any rate, the last time I was there a colleague who wasn't even a general member got bumped to a mini suite and I just got a basic deluxe king. We stayed the same nights, so I'm confused about how 'best available' really works. Should I be asking for the "best" upgrade? Because there's no reason I can think of that a non-member, let alone when 'competing' with a platinum member, should have gotten a better room.

Thoughts?
Sounds like you're doing everything right. Without knowing all the facts none of us, lurkers excluded, can determine what happened. Its sounds like a fluke and your friend got lucky.

I will say, if it bothers you that much you should call CCS so that can launch an investigation.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Sydfly
I posted this in the AMEX forum but had no responses so far. Is the SPG Gold status only offered for the main card holder or also for the supplementary partner Centurion card? I thought that it would be available to every Centurion card holder?

May this be different in Germany because AMEX in Germany tells me it only applies to main card holder even though I thought the partner card has exactly the same benefits as the main card.
In the footsteps of this post: is there a Gold status offered to SPG-branded MBNA Platinum Plus cardholder in Canada? If so, how do we get it?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by respectable_man
In the footsteps of this post: is there a Gold status offered to SPG-branded MBNA Platinum Plus cardholder in Canada?...
No. That is not part of the current co-branded credit card agreement with MBNA.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.