Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

if I booked non-refundable room and can't go...do i get points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Plat, SPG Plat

I know this is a stupid question...but I had a stay coming up on monday. Just found out that my grandma died so I will not be able to attend my business meeting. I purchased the fare as a non-refundable room (never thinking I wouldn't be able to go).

Now I can't, but I will still be charged $289 + tax....will I get any points or credit for this or is it just money down the drain?

Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:30 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Sorry for your loss.

It's little consolation, but you should receive points for the amount paid:

5.6. Starpoints can be earned on charges for no-shows and early departure fees, less taxes and service charges; however, these earnings will not count as an Eligible Stay or Eligible Night towards elite levels of Membership or for threshold bonuses and promotions.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...onditions.html

If you will be rescheduling the trip, and if you feel up to it, you might call the hotel during normal business hours, explain the circumstances, and ask if you could apply the payment to another date. They may not be able to do this, but inasmuch as you are giving them time to resell the room it just might work.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:50 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
I would suggest you contact the Plat Concierge and explain to them your situation. I had a medical emergency a few weeks ago that conflicted with a prepaid internet rate at the Westin in Key West. The Plat Concierge was able to get the reservation canceled as a courtesy. Can't guarantee it will work for you but it worked for me and its worth a try. Sorry for your loss, hope things work out for you.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I would call during business hours and speak with the reservations manager. A place that has "nonrefundable $289" is no bargain location, and will have lost a customer for life if they can't accomodate your request under these terrible circumstances.

On a personal note, in the big picture $289 and the 867 starpoints that go along with it are not that important in the big picture of life, but during difficult times we often think of the little picture, and not the big one. Best wishes.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:49 am

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I had to miss a night at a prepaid hotel reservation in London last year. I called the front desk manager on the scheduled day of arrival and had him check me in and send me a bill so I could get reimbursed for work. I did end up getting Starpoints and stay credit.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 5:21 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA PP, MR LTTE, was HH/D now Gold
Originally Posted by amy45888
I know this is a stupid question...but I had a stay coming up on monday. Just found out that my grandma died so I will not be able to attend my business meeting. I purchased the fare as a non-refundable room (never thinking I wouldn't be able to go).

Now I can't, but I will still be charged $289 + tax....will I get any points or credit for this or is it just money down the drain?

Thanks
just ask the reception to check you in on a room and send you the bill. have done this once on holiday inn when i was on a 10,000 bonus points promotion and got all points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.