Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best rate guarantee - successes and failures 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best rate guarantee - successes and failures 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2009, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mech11
Are you trying to tell me because I book a room with starwood, and then see another rate that is lower but allso includes breakfast, that is not a lower rate.
I'm telling you that it doesn't qualify for the BRG. Book the Starwood room with breakfast and it will all work out because then you qualify for BRG.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 3:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Vistana Chairman
Are you trying to tell me because I book a room with starwood, and then see another rate that is lower but allso includes breakfast, that is not a lower rate.
You only have a beef if you follow the rules. You didn't. Below is from the T&C of the Best Rate Guarantee link from the Starwood site.

The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to packaged rates. Packaged rates include (a)Hotel accommodations sold as part of a travel package, in which the property does not provide the extra service, including, but not limited to accommodations plus airfare and/or car rental and/or cruise, and (b) hotel accommodations sold with value added amenities, including, but not limited to, free breakfast and hotel parking.

emphasis added by controller1
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by controller1
You only have a beef if you follow the rules. You didn't. Below is from the T&C of the Best Rate Guarantee link from the Starwood site.

The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to packaged rates. Packaged rates include (a)Hotel accommodations sold as part of a travel package, in which the property does not provide the extra service, including, but not limited to accommodations plus airfare and/or car rental and/or cruise, and (b) hotel accommodations sold with value added amenities, including, but not limited to, free breakfast and hotel parking.

emphasis added by controller1
im sorry, but that really is BS. The first one makes sense, but the second one is just ridiculous. it would only make sense if the spg rate included breakfast and the other rate didn't. if its the other way around starwood should suck it up, and match the rate. its a bs way for them to be able to advertise the guarantee policy and put in so many ridiculous exclusions that makes it worthless. i mean, why should it really matter that the guarantee doesn't count because its on the Westin website and not a totally unrelated website. its just a way for them to get away with false advertising.

p.s. im not attacking you, im attacking starwood (and most other hotel and airline companies)
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Yes, that is what he wanted to tell you. I found also many many lower rates with breakfast but SPG did not honor them... It is stupid I think, yes but that is the rule.

Your second case, however, should be honored in my opinion. It cannot be that there is one rate on Westin for exmaple and will not be matched with the lower rate on SPG.com for example.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Vistana Chairman
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
im sorry, but that really is BS. The first one makes sense, but the second one is just ridiculous. it would only make sense if the spg rate included breakfast and the other rate didn't. if its the other way around starwood should suck it up, and match the rate. its a bs way for them to be able to advertise the guarantee policy and put in so many ridiculous exclusions that makes it worthless. i mean, why should it really matter that the guarantee doesn't count because its on the Westin website and not a totally unrelated website. its just a way for them to get away with false advertising.

p.s. im not attacking you, im attacking starwood (and most other hotel and airline companies)
I don't disagree with you but the rules were there for the OP to read prior to asking for compensation under the BRG. Whether you agree with the rules or not, there is no need to ask for a variance and then complain when a variance to the rules is not granted.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by controller1
Whether you agree with the rules or not, there is no need to ask for a variance and then complain when a variance to the rules is not granted.
The big print is that spg.com offers the "best rates". When a rate elsewhere is cheaper and includes more, it's hard to see how spg.com is offering the "best rate".
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by nissan motor
I found also many many lower rates with breakfast but SPG did not honor them.
If you do it right, you should have no problem. See posts 544 and 547 above.

Your second case, however, should be honored in my opinion. It cannot be that there is one rate on Westin for exmaple and will not be matched with the lower rate on SPG.com for example.
They are both Starwood web sites, and the T&C do not allow you to use Starwood against itself. I'm willing to bet they don't even know which Starwood site you use to book, so you're basically comparing Starwood to itself.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: SPG/MArriott Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I would say both of these were your mistakes.

In the first case, don't compare it with the lowest (non-breakfast) rate - compare the breakfast rate on the other site with a breakfast rate on the Starwood site. Then you get the rate plus breakfast.

In the second case, they're just following the rules that you should have read before filing the claim.
I take the rules to mean that all packages regardless of what they include are excluded. Do you mean that exact packages count for a BRG?

An example is the Sheraton Chicago NW and Coco Water Park (which is owned by the hotel but does operate a separate website). Reservations on SPG are $159 for 2 adults and 2 kids including the water park access. The Coco Water Park site sells the same package for $129 - same room type and same water park access.

I wasn't going to try for a BRG on this because they are both packages. I also didn't bother to book yet because the hotel has some crappy, crappy reviews. Thoughts on a BRG for this?

Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by samuel99
I take the rules to mean that all packages regardless of what they include are excluded. Do you mean that exact packages count for a BRG?
It did for me.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 6:37 pm

small is as small does

YES, it just seems to me that if your going to do all this nick-picking as starwood is doing with the small print and excuses, they should't bother haveing the "Best Rate Guarantee" if you can call it that.

Heaven forbid they buy Goggle and use that as an excuss as being their site.

as to the double pricing:

WHAT'S STARWOOD RUNNING A USED CAR LOT,,SHOULDN"T ONE PRICE BE THE SAME PRICE FOR ALL THEIR CUSTOMERS..one customer ends up paying more for the same room, just because he was unfortunate to end up on Starwoods "OTHER SITE"

Last edited by mech11; Oct 26, 2009 at 6:53 pm
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:59 pm
Suspended

YES, it just seems to me that if your going to do all this nick-picking as starwood is doing with the small print and excuses, they should't bother haveing the "Best Rate Guarantee" if you can call it that.

Heaven forbid they buy Goggle and use that as an excuss as being their site.

as to the double pricing:

WHAT'S STARWOOD RUNNING A USED CAR LOT,,SHOULDN"T ONE PRICE BE THE SAME PRICE FOR ALL THEIR CUSTOMERS..one customer ends up paying more for the same room, just because he was unfortunate to end up on Starwoods "OTHER SITE"
It would be nice if you were to switch your allegiance to another hotel chain.

Many of us have done quite well -- thank you very much -- by living within the restrictions of the BRG. If you search this thread or others you will see that I have had a problem with the way that they employ it sometimes, however, your issues have been asked and answered ad naueaum in this thread, and it would be better if you made a miinimal effort to try to understand the rules of the program than just complaining.

If you don't like it, go to another chain or just book via another site and not earn points.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:30 pm

What Crap..

2nd. time now SPG I'v gotten the runaround on "GUARANTEE" I tryed once before and was refused because the other rate "included breakfast" along with a lower rate. .. I would say the other rate was even better still then SPG rate.

Now it seems like the other rate was refused because it was on the westin site and they can't honor the lower rate "because it was there own site"

Why do they even bother with such crappy advertsing ??
I understand you're upset, but I agree with others who say that you're not reading and applying the T&C's associated with the program. Agree with the T&C's or not, they are rather clear. It's also been discussed here on why SPG might not want rates w/ breakfast, etc. compared with different, even lesser rates. As far as the Starwood sites having two different rates, I don't think you could fairly expect Starwood to compete with itself. Just be happy that you found a cheaper rate.

Personally, I've had about a dozen successful BRG claims out of 25 stays (50%!), so I have to vehemntly disagree with the naysayers and conspiracy theorists. Maybe it was my travel market, my flexibility or possibly even a little patience and tenacity, but I can't, even mildly, entertain any claims that BRG is a "scam".

Related and potentially important for future BRG searchers, I will also add that as part of a recent BRG claim, a hotel sent me an e-mail that was excessively apologetic for my having to file a BRG claim. Since I'd never received such a contact from any of my previous BRG claims, I contacted the hotel and wound up speaking with the HM who assured me that Starwood takes the BRG claims very seriously and that there is pressure on the hotels to ensure that they/Starwood have the best rate for a room. If the increased pressure is accurate, then translation = BRG's will be harder to find.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR

Many of us have done quite well -- thank you very much -- by living within the restrictions of the BRG. If you search this thread or others you will see that I have had a problem with the way that they employ it sometimes, however, your issues have been asked and answered ad naueaum in this thread, and it would be better if you made a miinimal effort to try to understand the rules of the program than just complaining.

If you don't like it, go to another chain or just book via another site and not earn points.

NJUPITHEAIR, I think you should not say such things. I can fully understand that the OP is frustratet about this picking nicking nonsense things with the BRG. A substantial similar - or even better - rate on the other website should of course be matched and honored @:-) I don't see a reason why the OP should go to another hotel chain or do his bookings without getting the points. I would rather say that SPG should be more honest and either accept the lower rates or not offer a BRG @:-) That's my opinion about it.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR

I do and would, Just so happens the HYATT ( who I never see DOUBLE PRICEING ) is not avalable in that city..
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:11 pm

I would rather say that SPG should be more honest and either accept the lower rates or not offer a BRG
It would be impossible for them to be more honest, because they're already 100% honest. They will accept the lower rates if you follow the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.