Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Bristol, Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Bristol, Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2009, 7:48 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I took my mom a few years ago to Vienna to take her to the Season Ending Vienna Philharmonic Concert at the Musikverein. After hemming and hawing between the Imperial and the Bristol I ended up choosing the Bristol for a 2 night stay using my points. I was able to redeem for a Penthouse Jr. Suite.

At that time I was en route to Gold so I was still a basic member at the time of the stay. We were upgraded to the Prince of Wales Suite on the first floor. The dining room and library were locked off but we still had a palatial 1 BR suite with large bathroom with separate shower and large jacuzzi with gold plated fixtures, mountain-loads of Bulgari toiletries including small bottles of cologne/perfume; a fitness room with Sauna; a large bedroom with wall of closet space.....

Utterly fantastic and one of the most memorable hotel stays ever..... the trip did have an unique "royal" theme as we had just come from London where we were upgraded to the Edward the VII suite at the Cadogan and our next stop after Vienna was Paris where we stayed at the Four Seasons George V......
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Very pleased with a recent "stay" here. While it was only for 1 night and we arrived very late the room was nice and the concierge arranged everything for our 1 day express tour of Vienna and charged it to the room. This is what I expect from a concierge at a fine hotel.....very unlike the non-service at the Hilton in Venice which was most frustrating. The fitness room on the top floor is quite nice and bright with good cardio equipment.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 7:19 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Originally Posted by HansHuckebein
Does anybody know which instant awards the hotel offers? Do they have breakfast and/or a dinner on the list?
                Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:01 am

Programs: DL Silver
                question about upgrades

I love these property-specific threads. SO informative.

My wife and I will be spending 5 nights here on an award stay in mid-October. I've got a standard room booked, but after reading about some of the fantastic suites available, I wonder if I should kick in some more points to upgrade the room.

On the other hand, I've always had pretty good upgrade success as a Platinum. Any other Platinums have any thoughts on the likelihood of an upgrade?
                Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:26 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
                Originally Posted by timothyp_787
                On the other hand, I've always had pretty good upgrade success as a Platinum. Any other Platinums have any thoughts on the likelihood of an upgrade?
                I stayed there recently and did not receive an upgrade as the hotel was fully booked (the hotel received a booking of a group). The check-in agent was very sorry and promised to recheck in the evening if there is a cancellation. Actually that was not the case.
                The same agent came by and excused again during check-out. As "compensation" the hotel removed some restaurant items from my bill - I was very surprised and pleased.

The standard rooms are quite small (often with a long hallway but less space for luggage) and you may be quite disappointed if you end up in one of these rooms. If an upgraded room is important, then you should avoid the risk to have a small(er) room.
                Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:40 am
                FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love these property-specific threads. SO informative.

My wife and I will be spending 5 nights here on an award stay in mid-October. I've got a standard room booked, but after reading about some of the fantastic suites available, I wonder if I should kick in some more points to upgrade the room.

I would splash out the points here as the nicer rooms are a lot nicer.
                This hotel- as others have noted- does an excellent job of upgrading whenever possible- however regular guests tend to book the nicer rooms (moreso in parts of Europe than N. America I find that the nicer rooms tend to be booked by people as there can be a HUGE difference in room categories- particularly at older hnotels). You should enjoy this hotel- it is one of the best in Europe.
                Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:33 am
                Community Director Emerita

Any other Platinums have any thoughts on the likelihood of an upgrade?
                A lot of platinums get upgraded to a junior suite, which I find a rather strangely configured room. I'd be inclined ot use the points for the junior suite, in hopes of then getting an upgrade to a suite which is truly a special experience.
                Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:02 am

two potentially useful (for other people also) questions about the Bristol:

1) for the (hopefully rare) times I'll want to use my laptop in room, how much is Internet these days?

2) is breakfast typically included on rates reserved with SPG50's? the only mention of this on the thread is from 2004 (post #26)
                Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:18 pm

answering my own question, TripAdvisor reports in-room internet is 36 euros for 24 hours (wow!)
                Old Oct 9, 2009, 7:28 am
                FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
                answering my own question, TripAdvisor reports in-room internet is 36 euros for 24 hours (wow!)
                DJMeatBall- depending on where you room is located in the hotel, you may be able to pick up a local tmobile signal- you can pay with your credit card (15 EUR a day) if that is the case. Please don't ask me to remember which area, I just recall one time I hopped on a t-mobile signal (I think it was coming from the nearby starbucks?? not sure actually) and it was cheaper. Enjoy the Bristol- beautiful hotel!
                Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
                Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
                Not trying to justify this, but that's a pretty normal charge for luxe hotels in Europe.
                Old Dec 19, 2009, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
                Exec lounge?

Does the Bristol have a concierge/executive lounge? The Marriott always has my business in Vienna because of this -- but thinking of the Bristol this year. Thoughts?
                Old Dec 19, 2009, 5:31 pm
                Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by tennisboy
                Does the Bristol have a concierge/executive lounge?
                No, it does not - nor does the Imperial.
                Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:42 am
                Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
                Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
                No, it does not - nor does the Imperial.
                Two hotels with no extras but the upgrades. If lounge access is important to you, then forget about Imperial and Bristol @:-)
                Old Apr 22, 2011, 4:24 am
                FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
                I had to say it one day: One of the most impressive hotels in the chain when it comes to Platinum recognition. I stay there maybe two or three times a year and never got anyhow disappointed. I know all of the Opera Suites (last year four nights on a combined two nights BTT and two nights FWN voucher). I just returned from a quick stay on a discounted Edu Rate for a standard room and now I got a one night impression of their Penthouse Suite. Amazing!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.