Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Service Promise -- Gone?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Sheraton Service Promise -- Gone?

I was told that the Sheraton Service Promise was gone...not part of the program anymore. I had a recent issue and the hotel told me there was no more service promise/guarantee.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by nologic
I was told that the Sheraton Service Promise was gone...not part of the program anymore. I had a recent issue and the hotel told me there was no more service promise/guarantee.
Yeah...

The official program ended last December.

From what I understood of the program, it was more of a marketing tool for the Sheraton brand than anything else.....

I would think that the majority of SPG hotels will still try their best to "make things right" if something happens during a stay....so, the cancellation of the official program probably didn't have much of an effect at all.....especially if some people are only learning about its end......9+ months after the fact.

A.J.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 3:24 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Even though there is no official promise anymore, a lot of Starwood hotels, (not just Sheratons) will often give you some points if there was a problem.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
I agree, I don't think service has changed and Sheraton will typically always do their best to make things right if you bring up any problems during a stay. the official service promise has been gone for quite some time.

service promise no more
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
I guess it can be still given out. I just looked at my account and noticed
SVC PROMISE 500 PTS Sep 06, 2006 500
I don't know what it was for.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA,HH Gold,SPG Plat,Natl Elite,Hertz Pres Cir
Platinum Amenity Points

The 500 Service Promise points are likely your Platinum Amenity points.

Some hotels now post it this way.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:05 pm
np

Too bad about the Service Guarantee. It was nice to have an official policy to guarantee things will be set right. We had an issue at the Sheraton on the Big Island. With the service guarantee, they comped us 2,500 points which was nice. Hope they continue to try and take care of the customer.

Originally Posted by Americanada
The 500 Service Promise points are likely your Platinum Amenity points.

Some hotels now post it this way.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
StarwoodLurker - any idea why they stopped this? Maybe they were giving out too many points?
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:24 pm

Programs: MR Gold, Hilton Gold, US Silver, WN No Luv
Maybe this property is now closed, but I once stayed at a Sheraton across the street from the flagship Sheraton Hotel and Towers. The addresses were almost identical, the rates were identical and although I asked for the Towers somehow I ended up across the street. So I thought I was booked at the "flagship", but it turned out I was in a converted Howard Johnsons that Sheraton had recently taken over. The property was miserable. The bathroom was falling apart, the place smelled, there was no lobby, my in-room fax refused to work, and I got major attitude when I asked then fought for permission to use the gym across the street since this location had no gym but oddly had a pool. All of this happened while I was a Platinum and while the service guarantee was "in effect". Not once did the staff offer to make things right on any of the problems nor did they seem to care. Since I was traveling with my boss at the time I didn't want to make a scene or seem like a rabble raiser so I let everything go. To add insult to injury there was a special mileage promotion going on at the time for a staying at the towers. When I inquired about the missing miles a few months later I was told my stay didn't qualify. At no time either in the hotel or on the phone did anyone offer to make things right or deliver on the Service Promise instead and make up for the problems with "I'm sorry" miles.
Sorry...I'm rambling....the point I was trying to make was that the Service Promise was probably dropped because the Sheraton chain is simply not equipped to deliver a service committment of this caliber. Ergo, it was costing them a lot of money! It certainly cost them a customer. This stay marked the end of my love affair with SPG and was the beginning of the end.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by DTNF130L
Maybe this property is now closed, but I once stayed at a Sheraton across the street from the flagship Sheraton Hotel and Towers. The addresses were almost identical, the rates were identical and although I asked for the Towers somehow I ended up across the street. So I thought I was booked at the "flagship", but it turned out I was in a converted Howard Johnsons that Sheraton had recently taken over. The property was miserable. The bathroom was falling apart, the place smelled, there was no lobby, my in-room fax refused to work, and I got major attitude when I asked then fought for permission to use the gym across the street since this location had no gym but oddly had a pool. All of this happened while I was a Platinum and while the service guarantee was "in effect". Not once did the staff offer to make things right on any of the problems nor did they seem to care. Since I was traveling with my boss at the time I didn't want to make a scene or seem like a rabble raiser so I let everything go. To add insult to injury there was a special mileage promotion going on at the time for a staying at the towers. When I inquired about the missing miles a few months later I was told my stay didn't qualify. At no time either in the hotel or on the phone did anyone offer to make things right or deliver on the Service Promise instead and make up for the problems with "I'm sorry" miles.
Sorry...I'm rambling....the point I was trying to make was that the Service Promise was probably dropped because the Sheraton chain is simply not equipped to deliver a service committment of this caliber. Ergo, it was costing them a lot of money! It certainly cost them a customer. This stay marked the end of my love affair with SPG and was the beginning of the end.
Did you follow up AFTER the stay with Starwood (by phone), or
Seems absolutely silly that based on one bad experience, you decided that it was "the beginning of the end."

I mean, come on. All hotel chains goof up sometimes, even the luxury ones. If one bad experience (which you apparently did not follow up on afterwards?) sours you on a chain, sooner or later there won't be any chains worthy of your business. Then where will you stay?

Last edited by ldsant; Sep 23, 2006 at 7:25 am
Old Sep 23, 2006, 3:22 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Originally Posted by nologic
i spent 1 nite last weekend at the sn jose sheraton

the desk lamp didnt work and one of the floor lamps did not have a light bulb

at check out i mentioned it to the desk clek and she gave me 5oo pts, based on the sheraton service promise
Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PCTraveler
StarwoodLurker - any idea why they stopped this?
he commented on this in the earlier thread. i don't remember what he actually said...but i know he weighed in.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:27 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
he commented on this in the earlier thread. i don't remember what he actually said...but i know he weighed in.
My recollection is that he said this was essentially a marketing and brand enhancing program for the Sheraton brand with a beginning and an end. However, some properties would continue in the spirit of the Sheraton Promise program at their own discretion.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:42 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by sbtinme
My recollection is that he said this was essentially a marketing and brand enhancing program for the Sheraton brand with a beginning and an end. However, some properties would continue in the spirit of the Sheraton Promise program at their own discretion.
Thank you. However, all Sheraton properties should continue to be service-oriented without the Service Promise being in effect. If you find one that isn't, then Corporate Customer Service is your friend.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:42 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Regardless of the promise Starwood always has a very high standard. It doesn't just apply to Sheraton but all their chains. If you have a problem or incident to report just write to the folks in the SPG.com links. They will always take care of things and do their best to right any wrongs. Its a very impressive service and keeps me coming back to Starwood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.