Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Europe: Top Starwood properties, 2006-9: discussion and summary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Europe: Top Starwood properties, 2006-9: discussion and summary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2006, 3:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Prince de Galles----Paris
Old Nov 3, 2006, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
1. top tier (I need to come back)
Vedema, Santorini
Grande Bretagne, Athens
Westin Palace, Madrid

2. also good (I enjoy coming back there, but there are other good hotels or chains in each location I could go to)
Westin Excelsior, Rome
Westin E & R, Venice
Sheraton CDG
Sheraton, Bilbao

3. slightly above average
Sheraton AMS

4. never again
Westin Paris

5. On my "want to go" list
Cipriani, Asolo
W & Westin Astir Place, outside of Athens
Hotel Marqués De Riscal, Rioja area of Spain
Old Nov 3, 2006, 6:29 pm

Westin Palace Madrid is TOPS for me
Old Nov 4, 2006, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1.95 MM, SPG gld
SPG Europe

I'd agree with the posts here re: Grand Bretagne, Westin Palace Madrid, Excelsior Florence, Asolo, and the Goldener Hirsch. I'd only say "never again"
to the two Venice Lido properties.

I've not stayed in any SPG Paris properties, but are looking at them for an upcoming trip. Tripadvisor reviewers consistently agree with reviews here of non-Paris properties, but not with the Prince de Galles. Both it and the Westin Paris have been panned recently for needed refurbishment and other issues. Do you think reviews here are skewed because of SPG PLTs receiving upgrades to well-maintained suites? As a lowly SPG Gold, I won't be.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sheraton Diana Majestic Milano
Great Service
Good Bar
Beautiful Rooms
Location at Porto Venezia is perfect.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:39 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Just back from the Marques De Riscal....mind blowing (good)!
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:32 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We have had excellent experiences at all of the European Starwoods we have stayed at. We rarely spend points in the US because the value is so much higher in Europe.

To date we have stayed at:

Hotel Excelsior Florence
Danieli-Venice
Europa & Regina-Venice
Hotel Excelsior Rome
Prince de Galles-Paris
Sheraton Park Tower-London
Hotel Imperial-Vienna
Hotel Schloss Fuschl-Fuschlsee Salzburg
Goldener Hirsch-Salzburg

Of those hotels, the most personalized service (because of the exceptional concierge staff) was at the Excelsior in Florence and the Prince de Galles in Paris. (The staff was also very warm at both of the Salzburg hotels) But all of the hotels had professional staffs that enhanced our visits.

One of the things we love about the European Starwoods is the way they treat guests on awards and SPG guests in general. We've often been upgraded and have also been surprised with gifts from mgmt in the room. And the hotels are situated in ideal locations.

I agree that some of the hotels are due for upgrades. May they all be as nice as Schloss Fuschl!
Old Nov 6, 2006, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
My sentimental favorite hotel in the entire Starwood chain is the Golderner Hirsch in SZB. I could spend an entire month's vacation at that property and in that city!
Old Nov 7, 2006, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Le Meridien Hamburg ^
excellent location, scandinavian looking rooms, free mini-bar, neat piano bar

Le Meridien Budapest
even better location, very good pool, cool restaurant and bar, broken hair dryer, no hot water 2 days in a row
Old Jun 11, 2007, 7:30 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Never ever for me:

Germany:

4Points Central München
4Points Central Düsseldorf

Austria:

4Points Panoramahaus Dornbirn
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:04 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
And now my favorites:

Austria:

Jagdhof, Hof bei Salzburg
Schloß Fuschl, Hof bei Salzburg
Goldener Hirsch, Salzburg
Bristol, Wien
Imperial,Wien

Switzerland:

Waldhuus, Davos

Italy:

La Gallia, Milano
Lingotto, Torino
Tech&Art, Torino
Westin, Firenze
Grand Hotel, Firenze

Germany:

Elephant, Weimar
Westin, Dresden
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
... which sums it up to more or less all existing hotels in Europe (a far, far away country on the east of the NJ turnpike)

Save for our very own special horrible best kept secret : LE MERIDIEN BRUSSELS ! By all means, avoid this dump. You'll be better off going to the 4P Brussels, an admitedly utimate blue plastic experience, but at least they will spare you the attitude...

But I digress... I live in Paris, my job implies travelling in Europe. The following is a crash course on all 27 EU Member States:

Austria
Only tried Le Meridien Wien. Great room. Great bath tub.
Toured Bristol and Imperial, which seemed just that : stiff and formal.

Belgium
Sheraton Brussels : clueless. The manager is now attached to the Westin Paris. I am SO happy I have my own place there
Le Meridien Brussels : YUCK!
4P Brussels : blue plastic.

Bulgaria
Sheraton Balkan: Not a lot of smiles, but surely great suites.

Cyprus
Never been there. One of two.

Czech Republic
Come again?

Denmark
Palace: A dump, but everyone is aware of that by now.

Estonia
No SPG. Shame! Wake up SPG!

Finland
Kämp: rules! rocks! Best European hotel. They've got GREEN PLASTIC DUCKS in the bathrooms!

France
Sheraton CDG: pardon?

Germany
Le Meridien Hamburg: Great view, great rooms. One of the very best.
Le Meridien Stuttgart: Something so feminine about this place, great rooms in the 30's spirit. Service is hiccupy, alas.
Westin Berlin: You liked it in The Bourne Supremacy, you won't like it in your own life. Great location though. They have a suite with a trapdoor to the Reichstag (just jocking).
4P Köln: They're so nice. Too bad it looks like crap.

Greece
Next stay will be at the d'Angleterre. We'll see.

Hungary
Was there before Le Meridien was SPG. Shame, will come back with interest.

Ireland
Westin Dublin: It may happen that you're upgraded to the Presidential Suite, which has its own special way to be awful - the grand way.

Italy
Venice E&R: In August, high hopes.
Florence Westin: In August, high hopes...
Sheraton Roma: Not bad. Alas, the final of the World Cup interfered. And the buggers won. Oh well.
Eden: So beige. So self satisfied. Definitely Armani.
4P Milano: Why the hell did they put the suites on the wrong side of the building?
4P Roma West: Is it still Roma? Apparently "Go West" was not such a good idea after all.

Latvia
No Starwood. When I want to wet myself I picture a Four Seasons Riga.

Lithuania
Been there, not done that.

Luxemburg
I dread the day I will have to go there again. No link to SPG though. Don't believe the hype: IT IS the most boring "capital" in Europe.

Malta
Never been there, no reason too. Contemplating, though.

Netherlands
Westin Rotterdam: See "4P Milano" for the suites. Nice though, with an even nicer staff.
Pulitzer: Huuuummmpf. May I say nothing?
Sheraton Shiphol: Asking to be downgraded from a suite to a Club Room = never a good sign.

Poland
Westin Warsaw: Ideologically enabriated staff (meaning they pendulate from super efficient to plainly hostile). Prosecco in the lounge. Corner room at all cost.
Bristol : Been there once, never want to return. But still, Polish people think teletubbies are making children gay.

Portugal
Sheraton Porto: White mock crocodile skin in the Presidential Suite + a grand piano, yihuuuu!!!!
Le Meridien Lisboa: Niiiiiice. Why no umbrellas? It DOES rain in Lisboa.
Sheraton Lisboa: Only before the renovation. Kinda absurd, in a "Oh why doesn't all Europe look like Houston?" kinda way.

Romania
No SPG there. Good move, SPG!

Spain
Alfonso XIII: A very special kind of time travel. Completely over the top and very close to heaven.
Westin Valencia: Bliss. Go there.
Westin Madrid: The grande dames can be a tad annoying, but who are we mere mortals to complain?
Sheraton Bilbao: Dry, very dry. Spectacular and friendly too. Weird place, wich I expect won't age well.
Maria Cristina: The Couch from Hell. The Ikea dressing. The creepy lifts. But then again, the great staff, the bathrooms out of The Shining, the incredible location. And the sea-spider tapas at a walking distance.

Slovenia
No SPG there. Really, Ljubjana looks like a mini-golf.

Slovakia
Reportedly, they shot both "Hostel" there. Rumour has it it was NOT a SPG hotel (no triple points if you were being slaughtered).

Sweden
Sheraton Stockolm: incremental experiences. Now I love it. But it took time.

United Kingdom
Nothing in London: bloody city is a personal yuck.
Skyline Sheraton Heathrow: priceless when there is an Indian talent contest in the Hawaï Bar or whatever that is, and no-one in the super-depressing Sports Bar (free stale pizza, anyone?)

Next time, let's do it for Asia, it's fun
Best to all,
E

Last edited by ericj; Jun 14, 2007 at 1:06 pm Reason: poor typing :)
Old Jun 14, 2007, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by ericj
Florence Westin: In August, high hopes...
You shouldn't be disappointed! So far my favorite in Europe for SPG but expect old world charm and not modern Westin feel. Rooms on the top floor with balcony overlooking the river are the best. We got lucky with a Plat. ugrade.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:39 pm

Westin Warsaw was nice, but I liked Le Royal Meriden Bristol in Warsaw. They gave me a suite upgrade as SPG gold and full breakfast!
Old Jun 14, 2007, 6:11 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Love the Westin Maria Christina in San Sebastian, Spain. Official hotel for the San Sebastian Jazz Festival (42nd year, July 24-29). Only complaint is they have served the same buffet breakfast for the last 10 years!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.