Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Can you transfer points to another person? (2006 onward) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Can you transfer points to another person? (2006 onward) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2007, 3:23 pm

Programs: starwood plat, delta plat
I cant transfer points to a friend or family member unless I live with them?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: *wood Plat, PC Plat RA, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Question Starpoint Transfer

My Friends owe me 32,000 starpoints someday. Eventually he save enough points today. Can I have any channel to get the starpoints back?

I didn't find the function in SPG that the starpoint can transfer between different account.

My points..... Pls help. Thx in advance.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:09 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
There are literally over 200 threads regarding transfers (including one at the sticky at the top of the forum).

Short answer - no - you cannot transfer points into your account from his unless you have the same mailing address. He can book your stays though and use points from his account.

I am closing this thread and asking that you continue any further discussion in one of the existing threads.

ldsant
*wood Moderator
Old Mar 22, 2008, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Question Can my wife transfer SPG points into my airline account?

Simple question...

My wife is feeling generous (well the award is for her ) and is looking to transfer some of her Starpoints into my FF account.

Is this possible or will it bounce because the names on the accounts don't match? We have the same surname if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Old Mar 22, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
I don't think it works like you are suggesting, however, your wife can transfer her spg points into your spg account and then you are good to go from there.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 7:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Hey folks, I've perused the stickies and SPG.com without much luck - does it cost to transfer points from one account to another? How do you physically do it? I can't find a link on the website, so I figure this is a project for the 800-number.

I'm thinking of getting my mother her own account or trying to get her an SPG Amex linked to mine. Any info on either plan appreciated.

(A while ago I cavalierly thought I'd be able to transfer Mom's miles from a popular airline program only to find it'd cost me $250 to do it...nearly as much as it would cost to simply buy those points...so now I try to get info on these things...)

Last edited by divemistressofthedark; Mar 22, 2008 at 7:21 pm Reason: Gigantic Google ad blocking my text entry window and causing typos
Old Mar 22, 2008, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
You can transfer Starpoints between accounts with members of the same household. I don't believe there is a charge but I do believe you have to call in to do this.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...s_landing.html

If your mother is not at the same address as you then this wouldn't work. Maybe she lives with you part time?
Old Mar 22, 2008, 8:21 pm

There is no charge to transfer points from one SPG account to another. Both SPG accounts must have the same address.

If your family member or other doesn't have the same address just change it or change yours online and then request the transfer.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 4:28 am

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
If the last names are identical, the transfer from SPG should work as well. I've deposited miles into some of my wife's FF accounts a few times.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by imverge
There is no charge to transfer points from one SPG account to another. Both SPG accounts must have the same address.

If your family member or other doesn't have the same address just change it or change yours online and then request the transfer.
Correct as posted above.

When you call SPG and request a transfer of needed miles, it will post immediately as "internal transfer", while you are still on the phone. No charge. Reedem for an award - will need to know the other person's 4 digit PIN for a redemption.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:56 am

[QUOTE=divemistressofthedark;9449677]

I'm thinking of getting my mother her own account or trying to get her an SPG Amex linked to mine. Any info on either plan appreciated.

QUOTE]

I would go with plan B - getting her an SPG Amex - this way miles will add up to a presumably bigger egg nest with greater possibilities of redemption for both you and your mom. Plus I see from your profile that you are SPG Gold - better than being a nobody in the program.

With Plan A you will have to worry about expiration of one more account. If you are not diligent about this and she is a infrequent traveler, that might become a problem. I learned it a hard way when my mom's account expired and was totaly purged from the system due to inactivity. All post were lost, luckily there weren't that many.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 5:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Thanks so much, everyone. Earlier today I logged into AE.com and noticed a link "Add another cardholder to your account", so I went for it. I trust Mom to pay her bills, and mostly any travel she'll do will be with me, so this ought to be a win/win.

If it's a problem, and she later decides to get started solo traveling, we'll go the separate account/AE route...thanks again for the thoughts.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Avis First
[QUOTE=fungirl;9451285]
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
With Plan A you will have to worry about expiration of one more account. If you are not diligent about this and she is a infrequent traveler, that might become a problem. I learned it a hard way when my mom's account expired and was totaly purged from the system due to inactivity. All post were lost, luckily there weren't that many.
Can SPG account be deactivated? How does it work?

Transferring Starwood points sounds like a great idea!
Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:04 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi suburbia,

Yes, but you have to write in to SPG or call your nearest Customer Contact Centre to do that.

Thank you and have a nice day!

[email protected]

Originally Posted by suburbia

Can SPG account be deactivated? How does it work?

Transferring Starwood points sounds like a great idea!
Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:09 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi everyone,

You may transfer your Starpoints as long as the following requirements are met:
1. Both members live at the same address
2. The member from whose account the Starpoints are being deducted must advise us of his/her password
3. Neither member is an employee of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

As passwords are involved, I would recommend calling your nearest Customer Contact centres to process the transfers. Avoid writing in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.