Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Can you transfer points to another person? (2006 onward) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Can you transfer points to another person? (2006 onward) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Only if they share the same mailing address. <hint>
Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:02 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Only if they share the same mailing address. <hint>
Thanks. Any fee associated with such transfer? How long will it take?
Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by rdchen
Thanks. Any fee associated with such transfer? How long will it take?
No fee. Instantaneous. I just did it by calling spg while trying to book an award stay. I needed some more points to get a room and was actually short ~750 points even after transfering the points from my spouse. The SPG rep comped me 800 points
Old May 22, 2007, 6:22 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Transfer points between spouse?

Can you? If so, is there a limit per transaction / per year...etc? Thanks in advanced.
Old May 22, 2007, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by adamak
Can you? If so, is there a limit per transaction / per year...etc? Thanks in advanced.
Yes you can, without annual limits, as long as the residential mailing address of your and your spouse's SPG accounts are listed as the same. I could transfer 90,000 SPG points per day each and every day for the rest of the year with other members of the household without restriction as long as the residential mailing address on file is the same.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Transfer SPG points between spouses, help me understand if this makes sense please

I have a new SPG Amex card which should be posting my 10,000 points soon. I spent $6000 on it already which should get me 6000 SPG points. With the SPG points already in my account I will have over 20,000 soon. I'm accumulating SPG points to transfer to AA miles. I don't really need the miles right now by my husband does. Here's what I want to do:

I opened an SPG account for him. I want to transfer my 20,000 points to him then in turn transfer those points (which should get the 5000 bonus) into his aadvantage account.

Will that work? How do I go about doing it?
Old Aug 16, 2007, 4:00 pm

Just call SPG and they will transfer the points. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether your husbands account has to be active (in other words does he have to have stayed and be an active member) before you can transfer the points.

FYI you can transfer points to anyone at the same address not just your husband
Old Aug 16, 2007, 4:00 pm

Is he on your account or does he have his own? If on yours, I believe you can transfer to his ff account without having to move points to his Starwood account.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 4:24 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by mshaikun
Is he on your account or does he have his own? If on yours, I believe you can transfer to his ff account without having to move points to his Starwood account.
Not unless she wants the transfer to be rejected by the airline and take >15 days or >30 days to recover the miles, depending upon whether it was a domestic or international carrier.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 16, 2007, 4:30 pm

Thanks William. Always good to get right info from you. AMEX allows this as long as person whose account gets the miles is authorized on the card or at least it did. Assumed Starwood was the same.

Other than topping off it often does not make a difference because once the points are in my ff account, I can get the ticket issued in another person's name.

Sure appreciate your helpfulness on this board. Wish other companies had active, identifiable Lurkers to show us the way.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 4:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Not unless she wants the transfer to be rejected by the airline and take >15 days or >30 days to recover the miles, depending upon whether it was a domestic or international carrier.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

We each have our own SPG accounts but his does not have any points in it. Does that mean I can't transfer my points to him?
Old Aug 16, 2007, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by TxTrav
We each have our own SPG accounts but his does not have any points in it. Does that mean I can't transfer my points to him?
As long as his SPG account address is the same as yours, you should have no problems transferring from your account to his.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Aug 16, 2007, 4:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
As long as his SPG account address is the same as yours, you should have no problems transferring from your account to his.
[email protected]
Thanks! I too appreciate having you as a part of this forum!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 3:17 pm

Programs: starwood plat, delta plat
Where did the "transfer points to family/friend" option go?

There does not seem to be this functionality available on the website. Is this still possible? I want to give my aunt some points...
Old Aug 28, 2007, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by prosen
There does not seem to be this functionality available on the website. Is this still possible? I want to give my aunt some points...
You could never do this online and you probably never will be able to.

Only way is to call the Customer Contact Center. If your aunt lives at your house, there should be no problem. If she doesn't...well, that's another story altogether.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.