Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[CLOSED] Munich Four Points Central [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[CLOSED] Munich Four Points Central [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2008, 1:21 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by cbreeze
I had a similar situation with breakfast: booked a room for Eu. 81, was charged 96, then informed that the Eu 15 was for breakfast, which I had understood was complimentary. I would have just as easily ordered my standard double espresso at a local cafe en route to my meetings for lots less.
I strongly encourage you to complain to to Starwood Customer Service, as this is exactly the sort of thing the manager claimed does not happen. The only way they will ever change this policy is if Starwood gets enough complaints about it.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, TG ROP Gold, BD DC Blue+, Amex Plat
Thumbs down I'd feel more comfortable backpacking through rural Colombia than staying here

I just checked out of this dump after a week in hell.

Everything PHL said a few posts up checks out.

The carpet is so dirty, that after walking around in my room in white tennis socks for an hour and a bit, the socks were black. I have some pics of the carpet.. It's revolting. You won't wanna walk around your room without shoes or socks on for fear of catching disease.

Robes and slippers are not provided. Complimentary water is not provided.

Housekeeping don't seem to check on the balconies. I am in a non-smoking room and since I checked in there was a used tissue and several cigarette butts on the balcony floor. When I checked out a week later, they were still there.

Free in-room internet doesn't exist. You can either use the cable at your desk for 18 Euros per day, or use the T-Mobile wireless access point for 29 Euros for a full month, which also lets you use any other T-Mobile access point anywhere else in Germany, including onboard ICE trains.

Furthermore, the only English-speaking cable channel they offer is CNN. Theres no MSNBC, Bloomberg, BBC etc.

To get to the CBD, it's a good 6 city block walk through some of the most run-down ethnic areas of Munich.

PHL,

You are kind of lucky they did not put you on the SPG floor. What seems to happen at this property is that the manager or someone close to him who is working here resides on the SPG floor, somewhere in the vicinity of rooms 514 - 515.

They have half a dozen kids who are running around unsupervised, playing soccer!!! in the hallway outside the SPG rooms and screaming unabated at random intervals between 9 am and 9 pm. Every day of my stay. Their behaviour is so brazen that they simply cannot be some guest's kids. They must be in-house to get away with this.

For an insight into what sort of noise levels inside my room I am subjected to check out these vids (it's more the sound than the video that will get my point across).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cifDen8U3BA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsBMxpRVsg4

Edit: Forgot to add that I'd love to know how they are doing the laundry at this property. All the "fresh" linen and towels have a very unpleasant stench to them. They reek of sweat. Do they use laundry detergent ? Seems not.

Last edited by Mr Black; Jul 27, 2008 at 12:41 pm Reason: Add detail re: Linen / towels
Old Jul 27, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: SPG LTP
Used to like this property actually, based on couple of stays 5-6years ago (not too expensive, overall easy to get around Munich)

... now fully concur with recent posters, stay at LM or one of the Sheratons when in Munich. After a long time, in May I had a stay at the FP again, which confirmed what other posters have indicated:

- heavily run-down hallways, room carpets
- staff unclear about breakfast (cost), and in the end had to use printed confirmation to remove it from bill (on which it had appeared of course)
- spent a total of 1,5 hours (!! no joke !!) over two days ... to get keys ... and get them re-set twice (which shouldn't have happened in the first place). Incredible how reception is under-staffed at basically any point in time

Quite regular in Munich, 4-5 times/year, and quite frankly I don't think the above bitter sentiment is caused by "having gotten used to more upscale hotels like LM". The FP has simply slipped a long way, from what was only a basic-but-OK starting point
Old Jul 27, 2008, 2:30 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Mr Black
I just checked out of this dump after a week in hell.

Everything PHL said a few posts up checks out.

The carpet is so dirty, that after walking around in my room in white tennis socks for an hour and a bit, the socks were black. I have some pics of the carpet.. It's revolting. You won't wanna walk around your room without shoes or socks on for fear of catching disease.

Robes and slippers are not provided. Complimentary water is not provided.

Housekeeping don't seem to check on the balconies. I am in a non-smoking room and since I checked in there was a used tissue and several cigarette butts on the balcony floor. When I checked out a week later, they were still there.

Free in-room internet doesn't exist. You can either use the cable at your desk for 18 Euros per day, or use the T-Mobile wireless access point for 29 Euros for a full month, which also lets you use any other T-Mobile access point anywhere else in Germany, including onboard ICE trains.

Furthermore, the only English-speaking cable channel they offer is CNN. Theres no MSNBC, Bloomberg, BBC etc.

To get to the CBD, it's a good 6 city block walk through some of the most run-down ethnic areas of Munich.

PHL,

You are kind of lucky they did not put you on the SPG floor. What seems to happen at this property is that the manager or someone close to him who is working here resides on the SPG floor, somewhere in the vicinity of rooms 514 - 515.

They have half a dozen kids who are running around unsupervised, playing soccer!!! in the hallway outside the SPG rooms and screaming unabated at random intervals between 9 am and 9 pm. Every day of my stay. Their behaviour is so brazen that they simply cannot be some guest's kids. They must be in-house to get away with this.

For an insight into what sort of noise levels inside my room I am subjected to check out these vids (it's more the sound than the video that will get my point across).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cifDen8U3BA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsBMxpRVsg4

Edit: Forgot to add that I'd love to know how they are doing the laundry at this property. All the "fresh" linen and towels have a very unpleasant stench to them. They reek of sweat. Do they use laundry detergent ? Seems not.
I stayed there 1 night in March this year and experienced none of these problems. I did receive free water, everything was clean, no dirty carpet, friendly staff, didn't want breatkfast but was told it was 15 euro in advance, no noise, it is not in "run-down ethnic areas". If you didn't want to walk, there is an S-Bahn stop a couple blocks away. And no English TV? It is Germany!
Old Jul 27, 2008, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
I did receive free water, everything was clean, no dirty carpet
Would you like to see pics of how the SPG room is presented upon check-in ? The carpets are heavily soiled and no complimentary water is provided.

it is not in "run-down ethnic areas".
Ooooh! So the building must have been teleported into Schwanthaler Strasse 111 since you stayed there. Walk from here to the CBD and tell me you aren't walking through a run-down ghetto.

And no English TV? It is Germany!
It is a Sheraton-branded international hotel in Germany.

SPG properties in Colombia, Korea and China have more than one English-language channel on offer. It's not an outrageous expectation.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 2:38 pm

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
I stayed there in January this year, rate was 56€. No problems at all, staff was friendly and rooms were old, but clean.
Room change (due to noise) was no problem at all.

The FP is currently renovated, so the rooms will be refurbished.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by sultanbinaber

The FP is currently renovated, so the rooms will be refurbished.
I saw some tradesmen measuring stuff and going in and out of level 3. Hopefully they will get to the SPG floor and replace that carpet soon.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Despite the fact that I feel no mercy for the lack of more English channels (ever tried to find a German channel in any hotel in the US?) I can only confirm each and any of the remarks. Avoid this dump!
Old Jul 27, 2008, 8:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Would you like to see pics of how the SPG room is presented upon check-in ? The carpets are heavily soiled and no complimentary water is provided.

Ooooh! So the building must have been teleported into Schwanthaler Strasse 111 since you stayed there. Walk from here to the CBD and tell me you aren't walking through a run-down ghetto.

I stayed there for the first time in years this June(couldn't get the LM) and have to agree the place is quite the dump these days. The carpets have definitely seen way too many Oktoberfests. Thanks to FT I made sure the breakfast was not charged to my room at check-in.

However if the Westend is a ghetto it must be the safest,most upscale ghetto in the world.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:47 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal

It is a Sheraton-branded international hotel in Germany.

SPG properties in Colombia, Korea and China have more than one English-language channel on offer. It's not an outrageous expectation.
I did walk around the neighborhood. From the S-bahn stop, to the main station and from Marienplatz all the way back to the hotel at 2am! Nicest "ghetto" I've been in. Sorry its not sanitized but its not a ghetto.

If it was so bad, why did you stay? Why didn't you complain about the state of the room when you checked in? It was so bad you stayed a week in hell?
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:51 pm

I have a few nights booked for Oktoberfest at the FP based on its notoriously close proximity. I was originally prioritizing stumbling distance to the tents at all cost. Now I'm re-thinking. Right now, the ArabellaSheraton Grand and the Arabellapark hotels both have availability. Can someone tell me how much further (read: inconveniently located) these two hotels are to the main Oktoberfest site?
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:52 pm

Programs: SPG LTP
Originally Posted by boolean64
I have a few nights booked for Oktoberfest at the FP based on its notoriously close proximity. I was originally prioritizing stumbling distance to the tents at all cost. Now I'm re-thinking. Right now, the ArabellaSheraton Grand and the Arabellapark hotels both have availability. Can someone tell me how much further (read: inconveniently located) these two hotels are to the main Oktoberfest site?
Directly on metro line U4, with most trains actually using Theresienwiese station (i.e., ON the Oktoberfest site) and Arabellapark (i.e., 3 minutes walking from either Arabellapark or Grand) as the two end stations. Eight or nine stops I think, which sounds like a lot but overall ride doesn't take more than 15-20minutes.

FP Central is closest of course (3min walk), LM is not bad at all (under 10min walk). For what it's worth : used to stay at LM for all Oktoberfest till now, this year will bring along quite a group, and moved to Sheraton (cost consideration) ... EVEN though I had FP rooms secured at first ... after the experience I had there earlier this year, no way I'm gonna have friends stay over there, conveniently located or not
Old Oct 5, 2008, 3:39 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador (lifetime Platinum), Avis Presidents Club
I am a little late in posting this, but wanted to share my review of this hotel. My wife and I stayed at the Four Points Munich from Friday 19 September to Monday 22 September. For this reservation, we used points, but because of Oktoberfest, they asked for an additional 1,000 points for two of the nights (in turn we got an "upgraded" room). Given the low redemption cost to begin with and the cost of hotels over Oktoberfest, the 1,000 extra points didn't bother me (it might have been 1,500, but it was a long time ago that I made the reservation). Anyhow . . .

We arrived at the hotel around 12:00 and were informed our room was not yet ready, but that we should check back around 3:00pm. Fair enough, we were there in advance of check-in time. So we took a walk into the Marianplatz (about a 1-1.5 mile walk), grabbed lunch (and a few liters of beer) at the Hofbrau House and around 6pm stumbled back to the hotel to check in. Check-in at this point was okay and we were informed that we were upgraded to an "executive room." In inquired as to what benefits there were, and was told that there was no lounge and breakfast was not complimentary; however, the minibar usage was free of charge. Given the amount of drinking we were planning on doing, this was probably a good thing because I envisioned some drunken late night mini-bar raids.

I've already mentioned the hotel's location with regards to the main touristy areas--not too far, but not real close either, but the real benefit to the hotels location was it was practically on the fairgrounds for Oktoberfest. We went with about 10 friends, all who stayed elsewhere, and we particularly enjoyed our short stumble home each night.

On to the room. The room was minimalist at best. We had two slightly larger than a twin beds separated (we ended us just leaving this). A very small desk and TV. The room was considered a "suite," but the other room area was this empty room about 3m x 3m with some closet space. I'd describe it as an oddly placed walk in closet. We did have a balcony overlooking the fairgrounds, but that was it. The room was actually rather large, but just boring and dull.

Service at the hotel was not the best. Our free minibar was stocked with sparkling water, beer and coke. We asked if we could have still water instead and was told that was okay, however despite asking EVERYDAY, we never got still water.

Our not complimentary breakfast turned out to be complimentary every day, except the last, when I mentioned we had breakfast when we were checking out. No big deal there, the breakfast was actually okay.

Overall, this was a dull hotel, but served its purpose for our Oktoberfest Trip. If I were going back for Oktoberfest, I'd stay here again; otherwise, I would find a nicer hotel.
Old May 4, 2009, 1:31 pm

Thumbs down Disgusting

I wouldnt stay here again if the room was free. Heck, you couldnt even PAY me to stay here. Not only was it like being transported back 35 years to a motor lodge, but the room was filthy. The bathroom was covered in mildew and I counted the hair of no fewer than four people all over the bathroom.

We were given one towel for 2 people. The room had one chair and looked nothing like what was shown on the website. I cannot believe this is a Starwood property. I don't even think the Holiday Inn would claim this place.

It took 3 trips to the front desk to get a working key. Despite reserving a superior room on a high floor I was given the most basic room on the lowest floor. So much for being a Starwood Gold member.
Old May 26, 2009, 3:30 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
As I posted back in July 2008, this hotel did not impress me (that's an understatement). But, I am likely going to Oktoberfest and I need to choose practical and value over luxury and less practical.

During my dates around Oktoberfest, the LM is 10,000 points per night or 310 Euro. The FP Munich is 7000 pts/night or 340 Euro! Putting aside the high rates as it is, how can the FP justify charging more than the LM!?!?

It gets better...the FP has a C&P rate of $45 USD + 2800 points/night. I can't overlook that low rate, given the reason I'm there (and not taking any significant other to impress). So, it looks like I'm going back for 4 nights during Oktoberfest this year for $180 and 11,200 points all in. Am I a glutton for punishment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.