Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2006, 1:27 am

Programs: Gold Preferred SPG, AA, A West, Air Tahiti Nui,Delta,Us Airways, United
Originally Posted by carlosr
Planning to spend a week this summer with my family (two children ages 11 & 9). Trying to decide between the Westin in Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas. Open to the Sheraton's as well. Any suggestion of teh best place to go with family? Never been to either place.
Carlos
I have never stayed at a Starwood property at either place but I have been to both many times, it depends on what you want? Cabo is great but pretty Americanized and expensive. If you are there when the cruise ships come in it gets a bit crowded too. If you like an old Mexico kind of feel with great prices then P. V. is a better choice. I believe the Westin in P.V. offers an all inclusive package too which would be great with a family.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:26 am

Programs: aa e-plat 3 mm; ca plat; spg plat; hilton dia
Woah there nelly

PV over cabo because of prices, I am not sure that is how I would make a play on this,

the westin cabo is no where near the cruise port and is rarely affected by the ships

The properties could not be more different, one is elegant and stunning, one is a little tired and in an area that is just not attractive

If you want to hang at a nice resort that is far away from town, has great golf and pools on site and you are ok eating in the hotel restaurant for most of your stay, go cabo - hotel is 30 minutes from either san jose del cabo (great small town for shopping and small restaurants, especially mi cocina a remarkable place in a modern little hotel downtown) or cabo san lucas (interesting place for a boat ride to see the arches of rock out in the sea, but busy with cruise folks and lots of beer drinking tequila shooting nightclubs)

AS far as pv goes, we gave up on it about three years ago and when we do head over there stay north up in punta mita, pv just seems seedy and the hotels are older.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:35 am

Thanks. So what hotel would you recomend for a famly?
Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:45 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by carlyle
pv just seems seedy and the hotels are older.
The hotels in PV are more tired than the Westin Cabos? I stayed at the Westin Cabos a few months ago. From the photos it looks great, however the hotel (and its towels) definitely need a face lift. I was disappointed with what I thought was an early 80's hotel.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Just got back from family trip to PV Sheraton.

Hotel property is close to downtown. Its quite large and not so archicturally charming, and the rooms are fine, nothing dreamy. But overall, it was a good property, close to downtown.

PV was great for family- amazing ziplines (canopy tours) about 40 min. outside of town; fun boat rides to rustic Yelapa Beach, terrific, reasonable restaurants.

Plus, PV Sheraton is now only a Cat 2 property, so excellent value.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, American Platinum
Just returned from a 4 night stay at Sheraton PV. I would never stay there again:

- No recognition of Platinum status.
- Booked room on Club floor with butler service. Front desk didn't have a room available on this floor, even though my reservation was confirmed on this floor. Went to original room. Called front desk. They moved me to the room I had booked four hours later after I printed out my reservation confirmation and took it to the front desk.
- Butler service is a joke compared to similar services in Asia. They did bring coffee in the morning to the room, but that's all.
- Activities desk is really the time share sales desk.
- No patios/balconies. Large windows do open very wide. I prefer to have a separate outdoor space to indoor space.
- Constant lame 80's music and yelling over PA system at the main pool becomes tiresome.
- Food is overpriced and of average quality.

The best thing about the hotel is the close proximity to shopping and restaurants in PV.

Last edited by cohighcountry1k; Jan 16, 2006 at 10:56 am
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by cohighcountry1k
- Constant lame 80's music and talking in Spanish over PA system at the main pool becomes tiresome.
You do know PV is in Mexico right?
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by beaubo
Plus, PV Sheraton is now only a Cat 2 property, so excellent value.
Really? I thought it was a 3.

We're considering a PV trip in April. Was waiting to see if the Westin would turn up on the Cash & Points list.

I've read nearly all positive reviews of Westin PV. I've read mixed reviews of Sheraton PV. We are OK with being a bit of a longer ride to town...just want to pick the best property. Especially if it's a Cat 3 vs. 4. Gotta admit, if it's 2 vs. 4, I'd probably think about the Sheraton simply because we have a lot of upcoming trips in mind for which Starpoints will come in handy...
Old Jan 16, 2006, 11:24 am

Programs: Gold Preferred SPG, AA, A West, Air Tahiti Nui,Delta,Us Airways, United
Originally Posted by carlyle
PV over cabo because of prices, I am not sure that is how I would make a play on this,

the westin cabo is no where near the cruise port and is rarely affected by the ships

The properties could not be more different, one is elegant and stunning, one is a little tired and in an area that is just not attractive

If you want to hang at a nice resort that is far away from town, has great golf and pools on site and you are ok eating in the hotel restaurant for most of your stay, go cabo - hotel is 30 minutes from either san jose del cabo (great small town for shopping and small restaurants, especially mi cocina a remarkable place in a modern little hotel downtown) or cabo san lucas (interesting place for a boat ride to see the arches of rock out in the sea, but busy with cruise folks and lots of beer drinking tequila shooting nightclubs)

AS far as pv goes, we gave up on it about three years ago and when we do head over there stay north up in punta mita, pv just seems seedy and the hotels are older.
I agree that Cabo is stunning but prices are an issue for some not all. If they are staying on points I would choose Cabo or one of the luxury collection resorts near P.V. The Westin/Sheraton resorts sound awful in P.V. I still like P.V. and I dont think it is "seedy" at all. We had a great time going to a private beach for a day trip, diving, shopping etc. The cruise ships do not disembark near the hotels at either place but it does have an impact on your siteseeing if a big ship is in port taking up all the siteseeing spots. Based on beauty I would go for Cabo...if old Mexico appeals go for P.V. (just my opinion.)
Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
So to recap...Cabo is too Americanized and has annoying announcements in Spanish by the pool.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
PV, not Cabo, is where they are always talking Spanish by the pool.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:53 pm

[QUOTE]Cabo is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

One man's ceiling is another man's floor--In a life of travel, it is the one place we truly did not like.

Last edited by ezron; Jan 16, 2006 at 1:01 pm Reason: fix
Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:55 pm

Last edited by ezron; Jan 16, 2006 at 1:00 pm Reason: double post
Old Jan 16, 2006, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=ezron]
Cabo is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

One man's ceiling is another man's floor--In a life of travel, it is the one place we truly did not like.
ezron, can I ask if it is Cabo that didn't agree with you or was it the Westin Cabo? Thanks in advance for the opinion.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lovemonterey
one of the luxury collection resorts near P.V.
Wow...thanks for posting this bit. I went and looked at those two resorts and they look wonderful. Only question I'd have about them...how easy are they to get to? Looks like they are about a hundred miles away from the PVR airport. Is this a part of Mexico where a carload of yanks can safely rent a car and drive two hours down a modern highway to the resorts? Or is it more like an 8-hour bus ride through the jungle...

Wandering a bit off topic, those Yucatan Luxury Collection resorts look nice, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.