Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEFT MAY 1, 2010: Sheraton Utama Brunei [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LEFT MAY 1, 2010: Sheraton Utama Brunei [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2009, 5:18 am

Programs: SKF, ROP, SPG, SL Golden Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriot
Tourism is not a very developed sector in Brunei, they do not need tourism revenue.

For nature lovers, Brunei offers a breath taking nature tour, and Brunei does not cut down too much of their jungle. There are river. tours on small motorized boats to the thick tropical rain forest. But I did not notice if they have nice luxurious cruise though
Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:10 am
Community Director Emerita

How far away is the rain forest? How many hours long is a boat tour? Some of my best trips in remote parts of the world have been by boat, seeing hidden passageways.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
How far away is the rain forest? How many hours long is a boat tour? Some of my best trips in remote parts of the world have been by boat, seeing hidden passageways.
http://www.bruneibay.net/eco-adventure/mangrove.htm

Try this site, typically it's a few hours, as it is a small country. I am sure there are other tours available.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 8:04 am

If anyone has an email address for the hotel, would you please PM me?

Also, does the hotel have a club floor? I see several posters on TripAdvisor who say so, but haven't seen reports of it on this thread.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
If anyone has an email address for the hotel, would you please PM me?

Also, does the hotel have a club floor? I see several posters on TripAdvisor who say so, but haven't seen reports of it on this thread.
their email address is published in their webseite (see "contact").

for the club floor, well, when I was there several years ago, they had "executive deluxe rooms" for sale, but no club floor. However, they were busy renovating the top floor at that time, probably installing a club floor. Their hp states now also "Discover another level of comfort on our Club floor, which offers access to the exclusive Signature City Club Lounge." However, as Brunei is a dry country, don't expect alcohol on offer there.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 4:14 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Thanks for the tip on the email address. Unfortunately, it is embedded, and whatever software is required to use it is not installed on my computer. Perhaps it is Outlook, which I do not use.
Here it is: [email protected]

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 27, 2009, 4:19 pm

We contacted the hotel a day before arrival to book a hotel transfer. Avis handles this for them. A fellow with my name on a sign was awaiting us once we had cleared customs. The cost for the car was 23BND which was put on our hotel bill. It would have been 29BND if we had arrived between 5pm and 8am.

The hotel is a free standing six story building on the edge of the downtown area. It is a block from the Royal Regalia Museum. Otherwise, there doesn't appear to be any shops or restaurants within easy walking.

The hotel treats platinums well. Benefits include:

1. Complimentary upgrade to Suite Room (subject to availability)
2. Breakfast in Tasek Brasserie served between 6.30am to 10.00am
3. Complimentary 24 hours in room high speed broadband internet access
4. Complimentary access to Signature City Club Lounge from 9 am to 12.00 midnight daily
- Evening Hors d’oeuvres and non-alcoholic beverages in the Club Lounge from 6.30pm to 7.30pm
- All day non-alcoholic beverages
- All day Coffee and Tea

Mind you, the lounge is unstaffed and unremarkable. Further, evening snacks were put out at 7pm not 6:30pm and were sparse.

We were given a suite, which is made from two regular rooms with an unlocked door between. The one room is the living room, with comfortable seating and a small table. The other is the bedroom. Both have small bathrooms.

The hotel lobby is fresh and recently renovated. The suite looks like 80s era decor.

Taxis are spare, expensive, and must be booked in advance. The hotel offers free shuttle service to three shopping areas. We went to one, which looked like a 70s era shopping center. Every teen in town must have been walking around it.

There's not a lot to do and see in Brunei. A four hour sightseeing tour and afternoon tea at the Empire Hotel is about the sum total.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 27, 2009 at 4:24 pm
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:11 am

Leaving Starwood on May 1, 2010

The Sheraton Utama Brunei Darussalam will be leaving the Starwood system on May 1, 2010. Reservations for dates on or after May 1, 2010, will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by ehud

The Sheraton Utama Brunei Darussalam will be leaving the Starwood system on May 1, 2010. Reservations for dates on or after May 1, 2010, will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual.
Yet another one leaves! I see the makings of a conspiracy theory here with regards to category 1 and 2 hotels in S.E Asia.

That said, this hotel was nothing special, although it was a good points/C&P option in expensive Brunei

SanDiego1K, our opinions are very similar. I felt like the whole country was trapped in a 70's time warp.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by ehud

ok, this definitely sucks....i had a reservation here in the first week of june....now this makes 2 properties where i had reservations this summer that will not be part of spg anymore (the first is the le méridien bali)....
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by saad
ok, this definitely sucks....i had a reservation here in the first week of june....now this makes 2 properties where i had reservations this summer that will not be part of spg anymore (the first is the le méridien bali)....
Sorry to bring the bad news, mate
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:12 am

What a pity, there is no SPG hotel in Brunei. If there less SPG hotels, that would make it more difficult for one to accumulate SPG points. There are already no SPG hotels in manila, Karachi, Penang and now Brunei. I would have to consider another hotel chain when certain tipping point is reached.

Last edited by Dendrite; Mar 3, 2010 at 4:39 am
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:16 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Dendrite
What a pity, there is no SPG hotel in Brunei. If there less SPG hotels, that would make it more difficult for one to accumulate SPG points. There are already no SPG hotels in manila, Karachi, Penang and now Brunei. I would have to consider another hotel chain when certain tipping point is reached.
Doesn't seem to be our fault, seriously.

The reviewer's wish is granted

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Doesn't seem to be our fault, seriously.

The reviewer's wish is granted

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
looks like athenatravelmaniac got what he/she wanted....
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:18 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Always sad to see an Asia Pacific property leave. But at least we got some notice this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.