Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which restaurants earns *Points?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2005, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Which restaurants earns *Points?

Does anyone have a list of restaurants at Starwood Properties where you can earn points for dining. Everyone should try to pitch in and make an updated list for every SPG Member here to use. We could start with a North American list.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:30 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
It would probably be easier to make a list of restaurants that don't participate. Just my two cents.

Here is a start:

Alain DuCasse at the Essex House

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
So most *Wood Hotels does offer *Points? You just present your card when you pay your meal and that's it you're done? Does the *Points appear on you account as fast as hotel stays does? So at the front desk just ask your check-in clerk to confirm that the hotel restaurant(s) participate in the *Wood program? They should know right?

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Jun 15, 2005 at 9:52 am
Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:48 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thumbs up A great question

Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Does anyone have a list of restaurants at Starwood Properties where you can earn points for dining. Everyone should try to pitch in and make an updated list for every SPG Member here to use. We could start with a North American list.
In answer to your excellent question I would say no at present.
I am one of many that participate on the Starwood Advisory Board year round.
This is something I have personally suggested to corporate and to the Advisory Community in the past.

I believe it is something that could be of great value to all SPG guests, the hotels,the restaurants individually and collectively.
It is a great opportunity too showcase that Starwood has destination restaurants besides having outstanding properties.
And a reminder that dining and spending revenue has its rewards in Starwood Preferred Guest.
It also takes the guess work out of should a restaurant be participating for SPG credit.
To further illustrate a point
At the (W Times Square) Blue Fin this year I was told absolutely no points for dining by my server.
When mentioning it to the manager she said we absolutely participate and cheerfully credited the points to my account.

At the former Sheraton Rittenhouse after dining I was told that Bleu does not participate.
There has also been conflicting information through the various SPG contact centers over the years as well.
This is not to say that the Starwood service isn't exceptional.
Just that the information could better be orgainized for all parties

Having such a list would take the confusion away and be a great promotional channel for the hotels and the establishments.
Not to mention inspire further confidence and trust for diners to participate while a hotel guest or just dining in house.
Thank You for your post on Flyertalk ^

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 18, 2005 at 5:45 pm
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
So most *Wood Hotels does offer *Points? You just present your card when you pay your meal and that's it you're done? Does the *Points appear on you account as fast as hotel stays does? So at the front desk just ask your check-in clerk to confirm that the hotel restaurant(s) participate in the *Wood program? They should know right?
Yes, most all restaurants at Starwood Preferred Guest participating properties will allow you to earn Starpoints for dining only. The key is this: can you charge your meal to your room account if you were a registered guest of the hotel? If so, then you can earn Starpoints for dining only.

Now, will you? Well, that's the million dollar question, no? I would say that turnover in restaurant staff is probably even greater than turnover in hotel staff which is an enormous problem. This can cause training issues where someone will inadvertantly either deny you can earn these Starpoints outright or they will drop the ball on the request because they don't know how to get it done. If it were me and I were interested in earning Starpoints for dining only, I would ask the key question above. Then, at check-out I would give them my SPG membership card and ask them to process the Starpoints. They should bring you back a receipt for the transaction request. If they don't or you get a deer-in-the-headlights look from the waitstaff, then I would just ask for a receipt for the meal and fax it to Program Services to be processed as a missing dining credit seven days later.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jun 15, 2005, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA, Delta, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt,
This is my first post, so I hope I do everything right. Starwood Lurker could not have stated the solution to obtaining points this way better. I once needed to consume $28 worth of whatever to gain enought points for an airline transfer. The waitress was completely confused so we held onto our receipt. Starwood was wonderful handling the faxed receipt and posting the points. The receipt is definitely the key to this type of transaction, but it worked beautifully.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 2:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
It would probably be easier to make a list of restaurants that don't participate. Just my two cents.

Here is a start:

Alain DuCasse at the Essex House

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Too bad, one meal and you would be halfway to a week in Bora Bora
Old Jun 15, 2005, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, MR SLVR, HH GLD, etc.
Originally Posted by VA747
This is my first post, so I hope I do everything right.
Welcome to FlyerTalk VA747.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 5:35 pm

Programs: SPG Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Yes, most all restaurants at Starwood Preferred Guest participating properties will allow you to earn Starpoints for dining only. The key is this: can you charge your meal to your room account if you were a registered guest of the hotel? If so, then you can earn Starpoints for dining only.
Lurker, that doesn't appear to be the case -- consistently. After a stay at the Westin Copley Square, in Boston, I noticed I did not receive credit for a $1,300 dinner (for 10 people) at the Palm, which is located on the premises. After a quick email to the property, I was informed that it is a common source of confusion for their guests -- as the bill is able to be applied to the room charge -- although points will not be earned. They stated this for another restuarant we dined at during the same stay, on site, as well. After a few emails back and forth, they did provide me with points as a courtesy.

Needless to say, It doesn't seem quite clear how one can determine what is elligible, and what is not -- particularly if the ability to charge it to the room would not offer sufficient proof, as it didn't in this case.

Thanks,

Colby
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by colbyscott
Lurker, that doesn't appear to be the case -- consistently. After a stay at the Westin Copley Square, in Boston, I noticed I did not receive credit for a $1,300 dinner (for 10 people) at the Palm, which is located on the premises. After a quick email to the property, I was informed that it is a common source of confusion for their guests -- as the bill is able to be applied to the room charge -- although points will not be earned. They stated this for another restuarant we dined at during the same stay, on site, as well. After a few emails back and forth, they did provide me with points as a courtesy.

Needless to say, It doesn't seem quite clear how one can determine what is elligible, and what is not -- particularly if the ability to charge it to the room would not offer sufficient proof, as it didn't in this case.

Thanks,

Colby
I understand that there may be some confusion/inconsistency; however, if you can charge your meal to your room account as a guest of the hotel, then you can earn Starpoints for a meal (>$10) as a non-guest. That is iron-clad and if the property gives you a beef about it, report it to Hotel Customer Service, blind copy me so I can get the SPG hotel coordinators on their case, and fax your bill to Program Services so they can apply it as a missing credit.

I have a feeling that after paying our fees to do their work for them that they will find a way to fix the situation in-house.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Apr 16, 2008 at 2:29 pm Reason: add a missing "do"
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:31 am

Of course, the easiest way to get credit for meals at a *wood restaurant seems to be simply to use your *wood Amex and get 2 points/$1. We have drinks quite frequently at various *wood bars around NYC, and have had no problems getting the points with the Amex.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by kersie
Of course, the easiest way to get credit for meals at a *wood restaurant seems to be simply to use your *wood Amex and get 2 points/$1. We have drinks quite frequently at various *wood bars around NYC, and have had no problems getting the points with the Amex.
Yes, but on your room, if Gold or Platinum, you are getting 3 plus the Amex charge credit. Dinner at Michael Mina charged to the room was a nice little Starpoint bonus
Old Jun 20, 2005, 6:54 pm

Programs: SPG Corporate Preferred
William, I have sent you my correspondence via email...
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I thought I would bump this as this is a great thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.