Strange Employee Sighted

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2005, 8:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
Strange Employee Sighted

Hi to all,

I just been to 2 SPG Properties and was curious about the following. Normally, im not interested but thought it might be good to follow up upon.

I entered a Sheraton Property and after visiting a business associate, i left the property and realised a fellow SPG Employee was walking beside me. The funny thing is that even though he was wearing the infamous Sheraton Uniform of a dark suit with light grey lines, he wasn't wearing a name tag with the famous " S" sign. He was instead wearing just a small rounded gold pin on the left collar with, what i believe to be, a "S" sign on it. The funny thing is that when i was at the four points in just around 45 minutes later, i spotted him walking into the lobby and was walking towards the reception area.

I kinda felt it might be rude to just go up and ask but its intriguing. It is intriguing cos i always was of the opinion that all sheraton employee from the bellboy to the General Manager always had proper silver nametags with their name and designation on it. He was walking out of a room at the sheraton property with a lot of obvious computers in it.

I dun think he's a security person. He was around late 40s to 50s. I tried searching the forum but nothing came up. Any ideas?
Old May 30, 2005, 8:56 am

Programs: CO; UA; Delta; Hilton Gold; SPG
I wouldn't call this employee "strange." I used to work in a hotel, and there were times when I had forgotten my name badge. I still had to walk through the hotel. Was I "strange?" No, I was just forgetful.

And the lapel pin you mention is standard Sheraton issue, so there's nothing "strange" about that, either.
Old May 30, 2005, 11:48 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Well, William would most likely say for starters that it definetely was no SPG employee
Old May 30, 2005, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by rcs85551
Well, William would most likely say for starters that it definetely was no SPG employee

Good point.
Old May 30, 2005, 6:36 pm

The Four Points and the Sheraton hotels perhaps are owned and operated by the same franchisee, and this employee has responsibilities at both properties, such as a sales manager.
Old May 30, 2005, 9:07 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
I agree with TahitiBoy's comment about forgetting his nametag. I used to always do this and many times would just wear someone else's if I left mine at home. Towards the end of my employment when I didn't care, I wouldn't put my nametag on until I actually got to the front desk, and as soon as my shift was over, my nametag came off. I figured no nametag, no guests asking me stupid questions (didn't help though) I've since regretted acting like an arse-hole, but I was young then
Old May 30, 2005, 9:19 pm

JAGMAP:

I was going to leave out the benefit of not being stopped and asked stupid questions, but since you were brave enough...
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:34 pm

FYI I am a meeting planner and have been given a very similar pin in the past by Starwood so the employees would recognize me as someone 1) who could sign all the checks 2) likely to know who to complain to - a warning to them to be on their best behavior!
Old Jun 2, 2005, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Welcome to FT, mjp3md!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.