FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   25% Off Starpoint Redemption (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/433226-25-off-starpoint-redemption.html)

PrivatePilot May 16, 2005 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Regrettably, as far as I am aware, only the Platinum members are being included in this year's "Thank You" surrounding the Freddie awards.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

But it was last year's Plats that got them this award?! So you are thanking the people who you hope will get you another award next year rather than the ones you got you one this year

gleff May 16, 2005 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
But it was last year's Plats that got them this award?! So you are thanking the people who you hope will get you another award next year rather than the ones you got you one this year

It was alot of folks, current and past Plats included, who voted SPG for so many Freddies.

Starwood is offering a promotion to those that it currently (accurately or not, elite status is often a crude tool at best) dubs as its best customers.

And it's doing so in such a way that it likely views as win-wn ... stimulate summer award bookings. Since they ran a similar promotion last summer, I assume that they view this as a time that a bit of incremental award travel will be helpful.

damon88 May 16, 2005 12:51 pm

Great offer-- I will definitely take advantage of this.

A question though-- my email has 2 other offers on it-- One link works fine, but the 2nd:
ESCAPE TO SAN DIEGO & PALM SPRINGS
Book by September 5, 2005, for stays in San Diego and Palm Springs and make the most of summer with rates starting at $99/night. Relax with Palm Springs' great golf courses and pools, or visit San Diego to explore famous attractions like the San Diego Zoo, Sea World and fantastic beaches.

lists no offer code and the link just takes you to a list of participating properties. T & Cs are listed, but no rates or code.

am I being dense or how does one check avail/price on this offer?

T & C:
San Diego / Palm Springs Summer Offer – Terms and Conditions

*Offer valid at only at select properties:Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, W San Diego, Westin Horton Plaza, Sheraton Suites San Diego & Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa. *Rates are valid for stays completed from May 26 - Sept, 6, 2005. *Basic room rates do not include additional per room per night charges that may be imposed or state/local taxes. *Rates are per room, per night, based on single/double occupancy and availability. *A limited number of rooms may be available at these rates and additional restrictions and blackout dates apply, this program can not be combined with any additional discount or promotion. *A stay is defined as one or more consecutive nights paying the promotional rate that are spent in the same hotel regardless of the number of check-in or check-outs that occur. *Offer not applicable to groups or with other special offers.

Starwood Lurker May 16, 2005 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
...am I being dense or how does one check avail/price on this offer?

T & C:
San Diego / Palm Springs Summer Offer – Terms and Conditions

*Offer valid at only at select properties:Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, W San Diego, Westin Horton Plaza, Sheraton Suites San Diego & Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa. *Rates are valid for stays completed from May 26 - Sept, 6, 2005. *Basic room rates do not include additional per room per night charges that may be imposed or state/local taxes. *Rates are per room, per night, based on single/double occupancy and availability. *A limited number of rooms may be available at these rates and additional restrictions and blackout dates apply, this program can not be combined with any additional discount or promotion. *A stay is defined as one or more consecutive nights paying the promotional rate that are spent in the same hotel regardless of the number of check-in or check-outs that occur. *Offer not applicable to groups or with other special offers.

My best guess is that if you click on the links to book, it will insert the rate code that will lead to getting the promotional price, subject to availability.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

damon88 May 16, 2005 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
My best guess is that if you click on the links to book, it will insert the rate code that will lead to getting the promotional price, subject to availability.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

that's what I would have guessed, however the link on the front page merely takes you to the list-- there are no live booking links (the first offer works fine)

I'm perplexed

wma May 16, 2005 1:59 pm

My question is -- If this offer is available to all PLT's (present), why didn't all PLT's get the email?

vivrant May 16, 2005 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by wma
My question is -- If this offer is available to all PLT's (present), why didn't all PLT's get the email?

Maybe because the link to this offer is on their homepage?

gleff May 16, 2005 2:28 pm

1) Maybe there are lots of plats, emails roll in over the course of a day
2) Maybe it also requires certain email opt-ins
3) Maybe some folks have the emails directed to their junk folder or blocked by an anti-spam server

Starwood Lurker May 16, 2005 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by wma

The idea that this email is going to land in every SPG Platinum member's email box simultaneously is an unrealistic expecation. ;)

Usually, these are sent in batches. If you have an email account attached to your Starwood Preferred Guest account, have opted in to receive emails from us, then it will be sent to you. If it still never arrives, it could be because of your browser security settings, or it could have been diverted to your bulk email folder, or there could be a problem that neither of us are aware of that needs to be addressed.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

dmfriedman May 16, 2005 2:36 pm

Just a reminder on booking: Awards need to be booked between today (5/16) and Saturday (5/21). The stay itself can be through August 31, but the booking must take place this week.

FatBoyYVR May 16, 2005 3:22 pm

Of course this assumes that one could make any kind of booking (points or revenue) on the joke that is the spg website. Out of all the travel related websites, this has to be the most unreliable. Surely it is time to sack the idiots that host, run and maintain it and start again as it is a disgrace to a company like Starwood and possibly the worst feature of the whole programme.

TimMeineke May 16, 2005 3:49 pm

Just saved 6,000 points

Didn't get the email yet, but based on this posting just called the Platinum Concierge desk and saved 6,000 points on my existing two-night award stay at the Phoencian! :D Great promotion

TrojanHorse May 16, 2005 4:14 pm

for those on the fifth night free

it still pays to recalculate the award

I had a 28000 point five nighter (5th night free) in Fiji but with the Fred discount it came out to 26,250 points which is five nights at 7,000 pts each or 35,000 total points less 25% or 8,750 points off for a total of 26,250 spg points..

not a huge savings but a good one none the less.

thanks spg

tnw May 16, 2005 4:28 pm

I too called the Platinum Concierge desk (thanks to the OP) as I hadn't received the email and they reworked my exisiting 3 night award stay and I saved 7,500 Starpoints. Took a couple of minutes and they were very happy to do so.

Thanks Starwood.

gleff May 16, 2005 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by FatBoyYVR
Of course this assumes that one could make any kind of booking (points or revenue) on the joke that is the spg website.

From the promotion (emphasis mine)

book and redeem by calling your Customer Contact Center.