Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEFT SPG MARCH 15: Sheraton Newark Airport [Master Thread] - now Doubletree (Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LEFT SPG MARCH 15: Sheraton Newark Airport [Master Thread] - now Doubletree (Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:51 pm

Angry Sheraton Newark (NJ) Airport

Simply terrible! Sleep on the street if you must and avoid this property at all costs. This SPG Platinum was billed 2x a quoted rate and front desk rolled their eyes and simply said tough luck and too bad. No effor to fix the issue. Calls to SPG services result in the property continuing to contest the facts and not do the right thing. No Platinum 500 pts ammentiy posted and they continue to refuse to do so. Calls to property manager go unreturned by general manager, but rather the same fool who made the mistake in the first place continues to return my call (not the GM) to fight me and say they will not conceed a mistake. I can't believe that they want to antagonize a platinum to these levels. They have gone so far as to call my employer (as this was a corporate event) to suggest that my behaviour was distruptive and that I am a liar!!! So much for the SPG promise!!!

This is clearly about principle with me and not the money as I am 100 plus nights a year in hotels and the money is minimal. If you can avoid this property, do so at all costs. They do not respect your business and in fact, if they make a mistake, they would rather call your company and identify you as a problem than to acknowledge their mistake and do the right thing.

I blame the property GM for not taking the high road here, but rather that he deligates resolving this to the same moron who created the problem.

With all the options at Newark Airport, stay elsewhere. The Marriott is closer to the terminal and an overall better option. This may actually move me back to Marriott properties as I have never experienced ANYTHING like this in all my years. I vote with my dollars and nights. NEVER again at THIS property and not sure about SPG either, as they simply ask the property to do the right thing and they will NOT and each request just furthers the tension and prompts the moron to call my company to complain that I am complaining.

AVOID this property at all costs!!!!!
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:48 am

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
Wow...that wasn't my experience here, but I guess either one of us could have caught them on the "wrong" day -- whichever way that is. I had a one-night, pre-flight, uneventful stay. As a plat I was upgraded to the SPG/Club floor (don't re call specifically which). The hotel was undergoing some renovations -- which were not disclosed at the time I made the reservation (a personal pet peeve), but did not cause a problem.

My points posted as agreed.

Stevekoe
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:59 pm
jjj

Hotel quality is closer to a 4 Pts in my opinion, but the service has always been exceptional to me.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 8:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs up Very solid stay

I am at this hotel tonight. I have to say that everything is exactly as I would expect.

Pick up @ EWR was easy & quick. Check-in was efficient, room is great, as Plat I received key to the 12th floor lounge, which is very nice (staff person, Michelle, is very warm, nice, & helpful), room service was FAR above average.

I would not hesitate to stay here again.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 3:57 am
SWG

Originally Posted by jjj
Hotel quality is closer to a 4 Pts in my opinion, but the service has always been exceptional to me.
That about explains the place to me. I have never had a problem with service (plat amenity points, billing problems, check-in, lounge, airport shuttle, etc.) but do agree that many rooms are of suspect quality. For example, was in 1218 the last time, I believe. There appeared to be ink or other dark stains on the carpet near the desk. There was a bit of an odor as well, but I checked the crapper and under the bed and did not find any offenders (I think it came from the ventilation system). Another room had the slight smell of cigarette smoke coming through the ventilation system in a non-smoking room.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Here's another thumbs up for this property. I stayed there last week when NYC was full and had a comfortable stay. The staff was quite accomodating; I also received a key to the club lounge and a nice updated room. It's no 4 star, but it's not trying to be. For what it is, I have nothing bad to say and I'll be there again next week!
Old Sep 14, 2006, 6:39 am

Any updated thoughts on this hotel? Will need to stay there next week and was wondering what the recent vibes are on this hotel.

In addition, if anyone knows the answers to the questions above (price of parking and internet), it would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2006, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by vthokies
Any updated thoughts on this hotel? Will need to stay there next week and was wondering what the recent vibes are on this hotel.

In addition, if anyone knows the answers to the questions above (price of parking and internet), it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ok...If you HAVE to stay in Newark then Sheraton is pretty much your only wood option. Must admit the club being closed when I was there dampend my experience but it was in the days of the "service promise" when you could sneeze and get 1000 points. Internet is available in most rooms (hint look under the desk and bring your own cable). No idea on parking. To get to the city without the hassel of shuttle to the airport, monorail to transtation take a cab to the Neward Broad street station and hop the train to Penn station.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:01 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by vthokies

I stayed there 3 weeks ago. Parking is $5 with in and out previlege. They do charge for internet and toll free calls from the room but I did not use it so I am not aware of the charges.

I redeemed 3,000 points for a Friday night stay and got upgraded to the Club Level in a quiet room overlooking the Manhattan skyline. They closed the club lounge from Friday afternoon to Sunday but will instead give you a coupon for buffet breakfast which is very nice.

In the evening you are required to access the Club Floor rooms with your room key to unlock the elevator, which is a safety feature that I like.

It is a nice and comfortable airport hotel.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation Clarification

Originally Posted by execplatscum
To get to the city without the hassel of shuttle to the airport, monorail to transtation take a cab to the Neward Broad street station and hop the train to Penn station.
I thought I would jump in here since there are TWO types of train services to NYC from Newark Penn Station.

You have the option of taking the NEW JERSEY TRANSIT trains from Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station or you can take the PATH Train.

New Jersey Transit is faster, but cost more and only make one stop. Path cost $2 IIRC but make stops like a regular city subway between Newark and 33/Sixth Avenue in Manhattan.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EP, UA1K, SPG PLAT
Questions on Hotel

I am staying there for an early AM BA flight to London. I would love if you could answer a few questions.

1. Are there cabs readily available at the hotel? Especially at 5am in the morning if I dont want to mess around with the shuttle? To get to the terminal.

2. How much is a cab approx to Newark Broad street and how long should I expect it too take? Would like to have dinner in the city that evening...I'll take reccomendations on that too (completely off subject I know)

Thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:10 pm

Programs: UAL:1K, DL:Plat, CO:Plat, HH:Diamond, SPG:Plat
Originally Posted by speedbird9
Are there cabs readily available at the hotel? Especially at 5am in the morning if I dont want to mess around with the shuttle? To get to the terminal.
Cabs are not readily available at this hotel. You would need to call one and have it det up.

I was there as a gold 3 separate times and each time have been upgraded to the Club Floor. The buffet is decent but this hotel stinks (literally and figuratively). I only stay there when I HAVE to.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by speedbird9
I am staying there for an early AM BA flight to London. I would love if you could answer a few questions.

1. Are there cabs readily available at the hotel? Especially at 5am in the morning if I dont want to mess around with the shuttle? To get to the terminal.

2. How much is a cab approx to Newark Broad street and how long should I expect it too take? Would like to have dinner in the city that evening...I'll take reccomendations on that too (completely off subject I know)

Thanks.

Go to Newark Penn station, it's closer and there are more trains to NYC. Newark Penn (as well as Newark Broad) can be a bit "shady" at night, keep your eyes open. The cab ride would be 10-20 minutes, depending on time of day there can be a lot of traffic. What type of food are you looking for in NY? Price range? Setting?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA *G; Delta Diamond; AA EXP; Marriott LT Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Should be a 4 pts

Had a fairly disappointing stay here, everything just took much longer than expected, starting with the shuttle and check-in. The hotel signage is confusing, it took me forever to find the elevator. The elevator was dirty and the room was dirty. It really did feel much more like a 4-point than a Sheraton. I would stay away from this one.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
The 4 points EWR was a nice renovated place and I always preferred it to the Sheraton. It's a shame it ditched Starwood last year.

Some pointers on staying at this hotel and the local area ...

The cab to Newark Penn station is roughly $15 give or take a few bucks.

There are multiple excellent restaurants in downtown Newark as well as in the Ironbound neighborhood of Newark. All are walkable from Newark Penn Station.

If you are staying at this hotel and want a nice evening but don't have the time for going into Manhattan, I highly recommend spending the evening in Newark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.