Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEFT SPG MARCH 15: Sheraton Newark Airport [Master Thread] - now Doubletree (Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LEFT SPG MARCH 15: Sheraton Newark Airport [Master Thread] - now Doubletree (Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 4:36 am

We stay sometimes as flight gets in at midnightish. Check out at 8am and go to NYC to check into our five star fhr hotel at 9am. Saves us about 500 usd. It's ok.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
This is unfortunate. I liked using this as a base of operations for NYC, without paying ridiculous NYC hotel rates.

That being said, I have HHonors Gold and SPG Gold...
Yep, that's what I was trying to convey in my previous post as well.

I have a handful of Hilton points as well, so I'll have to see how many this requires for a stay after it re-opens as Doubletree.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by craz
well for all those who just hate this place looks like you wont have to stay there any longer. Found this on Hilton.com sems in April 2012 a DoubleTree is opening up at the exact same address ; http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/...504A65E6.etc52

since I havent seen any brand new construction going on seems The Shearton is reflaging itself as a DT as of 4/12.

So for all of you who kept complaining to HQ seems HQ listened and read them the riot act and the Hotel decided to go DT
I was just looking to book here and could not figure out why it was not showing up on the website so of course I went to FT immediately! This is a bit of a bummer. Although a very mediocre hotel, I stayed here quite a bit as it did work out well for those times when you would arrive really late or have that very early flight. I'm gonna miss Joe at the front desk. He always greeted me with a very warm welcome.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Greetings:

Absolutly the worst hotel we have stayed in......I for one will not miss it in the least.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:50 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

I guess this means no Starwood properties at Newark Airport.

i would stay here if I had an early morning flight to avoid the chance of delayed or problems with the Path Train (from Jersey City) or the NJ Transit. It wasn't a luxury hotel but I always got a nice room on the SPG floor.

The staff was nice and the shuttle was on time.

Need to find an alternative hotel now.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:56 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

PS I don't get why they converted that sub par Four Points at Newark airport to a Crown Plaze (which I thought was a higher end Priority Club property) Making it a Holiday Inn Express that makes more sense.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Catman
The staff was nice and the shuttle was on time.

Need to find an alternative hotel now.
It's still the same nice staff, and the same shuttle. Only they work for Hilton now.
Old May 4, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Is Hilton planning any renovations?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Platinum, US Air Gold, Starwood Platinum
I, for one, find this a terrible loss. I would frequently overnight at the Sheraton Newark when my flight arrived late--or when there were irrops. The wonderful Joe Anderson at the front desk (mentioned by another poster) would always give me a warm welcome. I hope he's still gainfully employed by Hilton! But this doesn't help me, as I need to stay at Starwood hotels in order to regain Platinum status each year.

No, the Sheraton Newark wasn't a luxury property. But it was clean and well-managed. Its air-conditioning worked a lot better than the luxury Parker Meridien in NYC! And: its shuttle service to EWR worked smoothly and efficiently. I will miss this property!
Old Apr 20, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I'm shocked. I always fly from DTW-EWR before my long trip to Europe b/c the ERJ's flying to EWR are almost always delayed or cancelled. I'd stay at the Sheraton in Newark and know I was fine for a late check-out if needed, which it always is due to my UK flight taking off in the evening.

I hope Starwood doesn't desert Newark Airport, or at least gives a shuttle to one of the other properties. I should've done my homework- now I'm stuck overnight in EWR with no hotel, and a late flight the following day.

I'd planned on going into NYC for the day and staying at one of the Starwoods there, but there are no decent rates. Sheraton in Times Square had a $269 rate I ALMOST reserved, but was distracted. Now I go to book it and it is well over 400 for 1 night, just 9 hours later.

Considering I last stayed in NYC during the Hurricane, I was hoping to make up for the missing Newark hotel by enjoying a night in NYC. But not at over $400 a night- those are like London prices. I'd like to have SOME money in my pocket when I get to Europe.

And of course, no one has cash/points deals. I'm staying 5 days longer in Europe to meet a friend after my business is concluded, and I scraped the bottom of the barrel getting points for my extra 2 nights at Park Lane & 3 at Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam. I was so counting on a Starwood to be at least in the EWR vicinity.

It's a big airport and it seems odd not having even ONE Starwood to choose. Oh well, I'll find a way.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I hope Starwood doesn't desert Newark Airport, or at least gives a shuttle to one of the other properties. I should've done my homework- now I'm stuck overnight in EWR with no hotel, and a late flight the following day.
Starwood lost the contract here. I'm sure they would prefer to have a hotel at EWR, but that is up to the hotel owners. But I don't understand why you can't stay here? Your profile says Hilton Gold. You can't put all your eggs in one basket, or you are bound to lose out in situations like this.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Couple Sheratons, a W, and a Westin all not that far away
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat
I used to stay there every Sunday night after my 11:00PM arrival then take the shuttle back to the airport for the rental car in the morning! I've changed jobs but was just looking at staying there before my 6:00AM flight. Joe Anderson was one of the few reasons to stay at this hotel. He is by far, the best front desk person I've ever had in my 500+ stays at Starwood Hotels. I really hope he does find a home at Hilton, even better Starwood brings him on to train front desk associates around the world!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.